Type keyword(s) to search

West Wing Elimination Game

(edited)

Fitz

Mrs. Landingham

You know, it just occurred to me that this list never included the VPs-John Hoynes and Bingo Bob. Hoynes really coulda been a contender for me. Not so much Bingo Bob. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Melancholy said:

Fitz

Mrs. Landingham

You know, it just occurred to me that this list never included the VPs-John Hoynes and Bingo Bob. Hoynes really coulda been a contender for me. Not so much Bingo Bob. 

Excellent points.  I pretty much copied from a Wikipedia list of West Wing characters, but took out some characters who only made one appearance.  I've thought of a few others like that Lord Marbury and the Speaker of the House who were far more memorable than some that were on the list.  And definitely the two VPs.  

I guess I am now learning that Wikipedia isn't always a credible source.  

Percy and Mrs Landingham. 

Great shame Kathryn Joosten decided to leave the show so early, as she was perfect as the President's Executive Secretary. 

Goodbye, Percy Fitzwallace and Mrs. Landingham.  :( 

Let's drop to voting against 1. I will hold off on voting until the end of the round in case of a tie.

Jed Bartlet

Sam Seaborn

CJ Cregg

Toby Ziegler

Leo McGarry

Josh Lyman

Charlie Young

6 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

charlie (tomorrow, this gets interesting. and by interesting, i mean cutthroat.)

I know, right? I look forward to seeing how people rate the 6 main characters. 

Seeing as we already have 4 votes for Charlie and only 6-7 people participating, should we move on to the next round now?  Or leave it open in case any lurkers want to try to save Charlie?

I wonder what it would be like if we did a rating system instead of an elimination game.  Like, start with a manageable number of characters and then every day instead of voting people out, we rank them and eliminate them that way.  Something to try at some point in the future!

I would go with the former - i.e. move onto the next round now; lurkers can have their chance then.

Your rating system idea sounds intriguing, and I would certainly participate 

I wonder what it would be like if we did a rating system instead of an elimination game.  Like, start with a manageable number of characters and then every day instead of voting people out, we rank them and eliminate them that way.  Something to try at some point in the future!

That's why I like the TWOP approach with + or - - so you could save (or try to save) someone you favor. With only 5 or 6 of us, it is life comes at you pretty fast!

Charlie is gone.  I'm sad to see him go, but admit it was his time.  

Can we use the rating system as a tie breaker?  Vote for who you want eliminated and then rank the remaining players. (The lower the number the better. For example, if I want CJ to win, I would vote for Toby (hypothetically) and then rank the rest of the players: CJ - 1, Leo - 2, Jed - 3, etc.).  Now that there are only 6 people left, I think this will be manageable.

Jed Bartlet

Sam Seaborn

CJ Cregg

Toby Ziegler

Leo McGarry

Josh Lyman

Voting against Josh

CJ

Leo

Sam

Toby

POTUS

Are we doing episodes next?? If so, I vote to eliminate all of Season 5 (other than The Supremes) since I like to pretend like they never happened!

2 minutes ago, AriAu said:

Are we doing episodes next?? If so, I vote to eliminate all of Season 5 (other than The Supremes) since I like to pretend like they never happened!

I thought we'd do Seasons next (and I already know which season I would want to win!) - a short one after the painfully long list characters were.  However, this isn't "my"game so everyone is welcome to throw out ideas and we can try to reach a consensus.  Other ideas I had to keep the game going down the line: Platonic Relationships, Romantic Relationships, and Episodes by Season. (In the Gilmore Girls forum, we're currently eliminating episodes by season, and when we are done, we're going to have the top three from each season compete.)

(edited)

To get wacky, Objects (Toby's baseball to bug Sam, the Bartlet for America napkin, Josh's knapsack, maybe Gail if she counts). Songs- maybe there's enough songs to divide between actually played songs (Desire, Hallelujah) and songs sung/lip-synched/danced by the cast (You make me feel so young, I'm too Sexy). Maybe speeches. 

Also, possibly antagonistic relationships. 

Edited by Melancholy
21 minutes ago, Melancholy said:

To get wacky, Objects (Toby's baseball to bug Sam, the Bartlet for America napkin, Josh's knapsack, maybe Gail if she counts). Songs- maybe there's enough songs to divide between actually played songs (Desire, Hallelujah) and songs sung/lip-synched/danced by the cast (You make me feel so young, I'm too Sexy). Maybe speeches. 

Also, possibly antagonistic relationships. 

She should have been included as a character. ;)

Well, Objects and Animals work. That way we can include Gail the Fish, Ron the Goat, Eric and Troy the Turkeys, maybe Pluie the Wolf. 

You know, I started off planning the next game but now I feel like I'm subtley campaigning for CJ in this round. Well FINE...

4 minutes ago, Only Zola said:

Yes, CJ is the clear favourite thus far; but as she said "I'm going against the sisterhood!" and I have my own favourite. :)

I am really torn between her and one other character being my number 1.  It's always been CJ until this week.  (You can probably guess who by looking at my votes.)

1 minute ago, deaja said:

I am really torn between her and one other character being my number 1.  It's always been CJ until this week.  (You can probably guess who by looking at my votes.)

CJ would have been my golden gal, but then season 5 came along and all of a sudden she "jumps off a cliff", and it all went very dark for me after that.

Just now, Only Zola said:

CJ would have been my golden gal, but then season 5 came along and all of a sudden she "jumps off a cliff", and it all went very dark for me after that.

I am partly through Season 6, and I disagree with a lot of her plot and my other favorite goes through a hard time, so I feel like I need to support him.  (Yes, I know. There is nothing logical about my feelings. These are characters....)

3 minutes ago, deaja said:

See, I would have thought Jed would have been your #1 based on you posts but you were watching his worst turn in early S6. But Leo is your #2?

I love post-Sorkin CJ too. She's particularly my #1 because I always love her a lot. Even in the dark S5 times where I disliked everyone else. Jed really has a tough time because I adore him SO much in S1-4. Probably even more than CJ in those scenes. But I mostly find him infuriating or boring in the post-Sorkin seasons. But he's so great in those seminal seasons that he beats even Josh had a great S6-7 and Leo who had a fine S6-7. 

1 minute ago, Melancholy said:

See, I would have thought Jed would have been your #1 based on you posts but you were watching his worst turn in early S6. But Leo is your #2?

I love post-Sorkin CJ too. She's particularly my #1 because I always love her a lot. Even in the dark S5 times where I disliked everyone else. Jed really has a tough time because I adore him SO much in S1-4. Probably even more than CJ in those scenes. But I mostly find him infuriating or boring in the post-Sorkin seasons. But he's so great in those seminal seasons that he beats even Josh had a great S6-7 and Leo who had a fine S6-7. 

I think it's more like CJ is my #1, Leo is my #1.2, and Jed is my #1.5.  ;)  

I adore every player left in the game.  Like looking for quotes, I just saw where Toby threw the funeral for the vet and I was thinking "How could I be trying to vote you out!"

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Melancholy said:

It is going to be hugely entertaining figuring out who our guy is going to be at the end of the game! 

in my case its not CJ or Jed. As much as I love CJ for being the most prominent (and at times outspoken) women in the West Wing, things really did fall apart (to quote an episode title), when she suddenly became CoS. And even though she proved herself capable, she was no Leo!

And Jed just became a bit an angry old man come S6, and never really recovered. It was if Abby was right - he should have stood for one term. But alas it wasn't to be. 

Edited by Only Zola

I have thoughts about what you said about things falling apart when she became COS, but I'll post them in a better thread for discussion. :)

1 minute ago, deaja said:

I have thoughts about what you said about things falling apart when she became COS, but I'll post them in a better thread for discussion. :)

Actually, after re-reading my last post and noticing that I quoted an episode title almost verbatim, I think I am turning into a Wingnut nerd or something!

2 hours ago, deaja said:

Voting against:  Toby

2 hours ago, Only Zola said:

Another one against Toby

You people are dead to me... ;-)

Voting against: CJ Cregg

Toby Ziegler - 1

Leo McGarry - 2

Jed Bartlet - 3

Sam Seaborn - 4

Josh Lyman - 5

I thought we'd do Seasons next (and I already know which season I would want to win!) - a short one after the painfully long list characters were.  However, this isn't "my"game so everyone is welcome to throw out ideas and we can try to reach a consensus.

I think you do episodes within seasons and then have the 6 winners from the seasons that happened and the Supremes go against each other.

I like the guest stars and objects ideas, but not story lines since I have no idea exactly how to define that one, but it certainly isn't my game!

You people are dead to me... ;-)

NOW the game is getting fun!

And for the record, I go with Leo or Sam....or maybe CJ.....but how do I leave out POTUS ....naaahhh, he's kinda a jackass....but he is our jackass...and Toby, but he is definitely our jackass (one of the most deep and rich characters on TV ever, just sayin, but clearly  not my favorite even if he did have a full military funeral for Walter Huffnagel)

When we played this game in the X-Files forum, we did episodes on a season-by-season basis (and, after the first season, had two games going at a time, because it was taking a while; e.g. we were voting on the season two list of episodes at the same time as the season three list) and then after we had all nine lists done, we did an all-stars game where where the list consisted of the top five of each season, to come up with our favorite of the series.

(edited)
1 hour ago, deaja said:

I'd love to read those thoughts. Because I think a person can reasonably say that Jed's second term was riddled with problems. That it was emblematic of his flaws- an infirm president who wasn't healthy enough for the job who further compounded that danger because his isolation and even worse crankiness ("He doesn't like new people"- back to the first campaign flashbacks) demanded that he have a familiar face as COS even if she was inexperienced and his ego demanded more legacy stuff instead doing the less agreeable basic national security just to make sure shit doesn't blow up.

...I mean still better than Ritchie could have done. But maybe not as a Hoynes term even with the affairs. 

Edited by Melancholy
7 hours ago, deaja said:

Charlie is gone.  I'm sad to see him go, but admit it was his time.  

Can we use the rating system as a tie breaker?  Vote for who you want eliminated and then rank the remaining players. (The lower the number the better. For example, if I want CJ to win, I would vote for Toby (hypothetically) and then rank the rest of the players: CJ - 1, Leo - 2, Jed - 3, etc.).  Now that there are only 6 people left, I think this will be manageable.

Jed Bartlet

Sam Seaborn

CJ Cregg

Toby Ziegler

Leo McGarry

Josh Lyman

as long as you are responsible for the math!!

Voting against:  Sam

1. Leo McGarry
  2. CJ Cregg
  3. Jed Bartlet
  4. Josh Lyman
  5. Toby Ziegler

Goodbye, Sam.  :(  I will miss you in this game, but not as much as I missed you in Seasons 5-7. No tie breaker was necessary this round.

Please continue to vote against 1 and rank the remaining players to be used as a tiebreaker.

Jed Bartlet

CJ Cregg

Toby Ziegler

Leo McGarry

Josh Lyman