Type keyword(s) to search

Still Hooked / 2017.05.24

Thoughts: 

Ana and Joanna- Joanna's dress barely covered her nipples. She's had so much work done that I find it gross. Didn't Ana get custody or something of a child?  Am I remembering that right?  I thought she was moving to Florida or something to be with the kid. 

Marvin & "Austin"- this is a recent episode so it seems a bit weird to already have a "where are they now".  I still don't get the incentive that the "trio" had. I think it was a joke to them and then they had to somehow justify it so they came up with the "catching cheaters" thing. Marvin is way too good for those people. 

Jeanette & Derica-  I found that catch up boring. 

Dylan & Mary- another very recent episode. Why are they catching up with these from like 2 weeks ago?  Dylan seems like a really upstanding guy. !arymwas so shady when she said "I don't really use that Facebook account anymore. For anything."  She didn't even sound remotely convincing!  But, she admitted to still doing it a,most right away. I just think she doesn't even care. Mary's apologies mean nothing. Poor Darion. he was a footnote. 

Matt & Kim- I can't help but think of the band when I hear these names. I'm more interested in the really old episode catch ups.  Matt looks like a different person  his face even looks much different.  

I feel the most interesting thing about this episode was learning Nev had to change his own behavior because he was pushing people away. But even that wasn't really all that interesting. 

• Love 3

At the end Max made a comment that after these catch-up shows, people's lives are better. How? It felt more like these people were being exploited. None of them seemed all that thrilled to see each other again, yet Max and Nev kept determinedly fanning the flames of the half-hearted enthusiasm of those willing to admit maybe they might like to reconsider their relationships. Yuck. 

• Love 1

Why does this show try so hard to force happy endings? It's so unrealistic. Let shit happen naturally. 

Nev and Max are so dense about human nature and like making a quick buck off twisting it to their narrative.

If something didn't click the first time, it will not click now.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, AftermathTV said:

Why does this show try so hard to force happy endings? It's so unrealistic. Let shit happen naturally. 

Nev seems to be the one always pushing this, he seems to have blinders on when it comes to reality. 

What did Nev used to do that was so awful? I feel I must know.

Ana and Joanna are both drama queens and I suspect they are headed for police intervention at some point.  I am actually sorry to say this as they both look like cool girls I'd want to be friends with...but the intensity of their emotions (the hitting, for example, and having both just broken up).  Too much.

I felt bad for Mary. She's got a problem. She's really really desperate for positive attention, but this is not the way to get it. Poor dudes. Poor Mary.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/25/2017 at 10:11 PM, guilfoyleatpp said:

Ana and Joanna are both drama queens and I suspect they are headed for police intervention at some point.  I am actually sorry to say this as they both look like cool girls I'd want to be friends with...but the intensity of their emotions (the hitting, for example, and having both just broken up).  Too much.

I felt bad for Mary. She's got a problem. She's really really desperate for positive attention, but this is not the way to get it. Poor dudes. Poor Mary.

This is what I posted when Ana and Joanna's episode originally aired:

I had this on, but didn't really pay attention after I figured out, about 15 minutes in, that these were a bunch of messy assholes from the Inland Empire. And then they turned out to be just that.

My opinion has not changed. 

Mary is not healthy. I almost wish she would have scammed someone while catfishing because she needs professional help that I don't think she'll seek on her own. She needs to have a court order her into treatment with a therapist, counselor, psychiatrist, or psychologist. She finds her fake personas soothing. They allow her to emotionally reenact her childhood, but this time where she's loved, desired, and wanted. She's self-aware enough that she recognizes that she's doing something wrong, but she has no other tools to deal with disappointment, rejection, or hurt so she goes back to catfishing. It's pathological. She could do with some CBT.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

He talked about in his book, as I (vaguely) remember, it was some ADHD-related impulse/anger control issues he had in his late teens which alienated his brother and friends and forced him to put real effort into self-work and emotional growth. 

I fast forwarded through most of this episode, as it was much less interesting (and infuriating, when Hundra and her stupid friend came out and made themselves out to be the most self-righteous victims who ever lived) then the last reunion episode. They should really have given Mary a referral to a local 'sliding scale' therapy clinic to work on these issues, bringing her back on tv isn't going to help.

• Love 1

From the article:

Ken Schneck, the former Sarah Lawrence administrator, added, "All I can say on the record, as the former Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, is that he was a condescending, entitled, reprehensible tool. :)"

Confirmed!

Strange episode. I'm not sure why Nev and Max are still trying to make these couples happen. Or try to still "work things out". Let.it.go. Yeah, there may be some deep, dark secret reason that pushes someone to catfish another person, but it's still a shitty thing to do. Even if there WAS a little spark between them, how can a catfishee ever forget that the catfisher was doing this, probably with multiple people? Creepy.

• Love 1

" I attended the dance he mentions and saw that he was taking pictures of queer couples dancing and kissing without their permission."

Ah, so he's always been this invasive.

"“He definitely believes any publicity is good publicity,” the student said. “Whether it’s right or wrong.”"

Most Catfish cases are about giving the Catfish in question a lot of publicity.

Can MTV put this dirtbag out of a job already?

• Love 1
On 5/24/2017 at 10:24 PM, GenL said:

Thoughts: 

Ana and Joanna- Joanna's dress barely covered her nipples. She's had so much work done that I find it gross.

There is something definitely wrong with someone who presents herself like that.  Seriously.

• Love 3