Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Spoilers, Speculation and Sightings

$10,000 pre-tax for three adults to start up a food truck business?  Are they serious?

My adorable little Vespa was close to eight grand, and it can carry me and maybe two burgers.

The show smacks of cheap.  $300 to feed customers for two days.  Tooling around their home city.  New host makes Tyler look like David Letterman.

It doesn't look promising for Food Network these days.  They'll probably retool and emerge as This Is McDonald's.

• Love 2

We were actually in the running to be on this season.  Unfortunately, we had to bow out early in the process when we found out the filming schedule due to other plans that we could not miss for the race.  We were seriously bummed.  We were going to do Firehouse type of food, since my husband is a firefighter and an excellent cook (and my daughter is starting culinary school next week- part of why they were probably interested in us).  I am interested in watching the teams compete and seeing who we would've been up against.  Finding out there's no Tyler would've seriously bummed me and my daughter out though!!

• Love 3
On 5/20/2017 at 7:13 PM, biakbiak said:

Did this show get replaced by the Great Food Truck Rally? It's three teams, three days, one city per episode and the prize is $10,000.

Who knows, but the on air pilot showings that I've seen or saw on the guide have not led to a regular series yet. Which makes sense as they are airing them to not pay the penalty and if one garners enough attention/positive feedback then they can just sign off on a season.

On 5/22/2017 at 2:53 PM, GenL said:

We were actually in the running to be on this season.  Unfortunately, we had to bow out early in the process when we found out the filming schedule due to other plans that we could not miss for the race.  We were seriously bummed.  We were going to do Firehouse type of food, since my husband is a firefighter and an excellent cook (and my daughter is starting culinary school next week- part of why they were probably interested in us).  I am interested in watching the teams compete and seeing who we would've been up against.  Finding out there's no Tyler would've seriously bummed me and my daughter out though!!

Wait wait did you apply for The Great Food Truck Race Season 8? Can you give us any details at all? (Mainly one state or back to nationwide)

32 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

Wait wait did you apply for The Great Food Truck Race Season 8? Can you give us any details at all? (Mainly one state or back to nationwide)

Yes.  My daughter applied for us.  This is her e-mail:

Hi! My name is [redacted] and I'm 19 years old.  I will be attending the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York in May and I graduated from a technical high school for Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management.  My mom, [GenL], and I have wanted a food truck for around 6 years now and have binge watched every season of The Great Food Truck Race. I would be bringing her along with me as well as my dad, [redacted], who are both veterans of the U.S. Coast Guard! My dad has the best barbecue I've ever had in my whole life. He makes his sauces from scratch with secret family recipes that were passed down to him from family members in North Carolina.  I've had a lot of barbecue in my day but nothing comes close to his!  What makes us unique is the fact that my dad is a fire captain, so his food is inspired by the firehouse. Engine 21 Smokehouse would be all the food that the fire departments loves to cook up in their free time, like 5 Alarm chili, brisket, fall-off-the-bone ribs, creamy mac and cheese, and Cape Cod clam chowder since we're from Massachusetts! Everything will be made with our secret recipes!

They responded with the schedule for filming (March 25 - April 29) and asked for more detailed information as far as photos, contact information, personalities, food truck concept, etc.  We had to pull out as soon as we saw the filming dates because we had cheerleading travel already planned.  Plus, my husband and I taking off a month of work would've been impossible.  But, still exciting! 

• Love 2

Well, that's annoying.  But, we still wouldn't have been able to do it since we just got back from Disney World (last of the cheerleading competitions) and my daughter is starting college next week.  Still looking forward to watching the season.  I told my daughter we probably would've been the first out anyway.  lol

Local Pensacola Radio Broadcast in Podcast form about today's taping: http://podcast.newsradio1620.com/media/audio/mpeg/2017/170524-WNRP-59258bd279e89.mp3

Key Points: 6 teams and since this is the first taping report I can find this may be the first stop, show may not air until last week of September, quick turnaround either for the ship area or for the town, and producers have been filming b-shots the past few days.

With it starting in Pcola it's either going to travel down through Florida or up the east coast. Personally I hope it's the latter since the east coast always got shafted in the nationwide races.

47 minutes ago, GenL said:

Yes.  My daughter applied for us.  This is her e-mail:

They responded with the schedule for filming (March 25 - April 29) and asked for more detailed information as far as photos, contact information, personalities, food truck concept, etc.  We had to pull out as soon as we saw the filming dates because we had cheerleading travel already planned.  Plus, my husband and I taking off a month of work would've been impossible.  But, still exciting! 

Your daughter's pitch made me really hungry.

Are you still thinking about eventually starting a food truck?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Your daughter's pitch made me really hungry.

Are you still thinking about eventually starting a food truck?

Maybe.  Really, that was her dream and she's heading off to college so we'll see.  My husband really does have amazing BBQ though!!

On 5/22/2017 at 11:53 AM, GenL said:

I so hope you will compete.  I love this show - the free-wheeling spirit, the competitors, the yummy food.  I am so there.

Other shows, while I'm addicted, seem so stodgy by comparison.

(edited)

Update! http://pulsegulfcoast.com/2017/05/meet-the-food-trucks-in-pensacola-this-week-for-the-great-food-truck-race

So they were filming in New Orleans last weekend and the post includes 5 of the teams competing. We know the Navy guy said there was 6 trucks. Traditional seasons where they travel the country has had 7/8 teams so this could be the second or third episode (4th if there were only 5 teams left). Also Mr Po Boys from Rally is competing! I loved them and hope they win this as well.

EDIT: Snooped https://www.facebook.com/braisedinthesouth/ and looks like they started the page a week ago. So this is second stop and looks like the route may be an east coast one.

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 2
(edited)

Tuscaloosa, AL as stop three per

and

Of all the socials we have links to these are the only two confirmed to be in Alabama of what should be 4. Mr Po Boys apparently kept selling out in Pcola so they should be going to Alabama too.

Edited by Skyfall

Looks like from front to back Braised, Breakfast, Stick, and Mr Po Boy, which means Papi Chulo’s Empanadas was eliminated in Pcola. I bet Food Network is pissed at Pulse Gulf Coast for providing social media links to make it easier to track who's still racing.

(edited)

And now everyone except Papi has confirmed being in Alabama while Papi has gone cold. Rest In Peace Papi we won't know you till August, but you may or may not be missed.

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 1

Two of final three:

I'm thinking Stick Em over Breakfast seeing as they posted a goodbye Tuscaloosa Facebook status while Breakfast has gone cold, but neither are confirmed heading to Nashville yet.

On 6/7/2017 at 3:17 PM, GaT said:

I can't believe there's another season of this show. Last season they barely went anywhere.

Well they expanded this season but also stayed concise. Which I kinda like, going cross country was kinda contrived. Going around a specific region gets the same diffferent tastes but saves budget.

vs

I'm leaning Po Boys given they have big things in the works as opposed to Braised who hinted at a 2.0 (assuming the winner gets to keep the food truck as opposed to just a cash prize).

I just saw a promo for The Great Food Truck Race to premiere on Sunday August 20 at 9PM.

The article contains spoiler info on the teams and the challenges for the first competition day.

The seven teams begin in New Orleans, Louisiana.  The route then hits Pensacola, Florida; Tuscaloosa, Alabama; Nashville, Tennessee and Athens, Georgia, leading to the finale location in Savannah, Georgia,

• Love 1

Scrolling through the teams didn't reveal any obvious plants, like last year with the Jersey Shore man and his mother, but I'm not well versed on reality television. They all seemed to have kitchen experience of various amounts, and a few have actually been to culinary school. There are still only six episodes, but hopefully it's better than last season, which was a back door lead-in to a show I didn't watch because I didn't like them on this show.

2 hours ago, Christina said:

Scrolling through the teams didn't reveal any obvious plants,

Mr. Po Boys won the one episode of The Great Food Truck Rally which was basically this show except it was three teams, one city, one weekend.

17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Mr. Po Boys won the one episode of The Great Food Truck Rally which was basically this show except it was three teams, one city, one weekend.

Theyve be trying for several years to come up with a food truck concept in self contained episodes and that one is their best shot yet if they order it. With that said if you look above you'll see that they did well in this one as well.

So during the actual filming we did not know Frenchie was in the race. From what we know Stick (thank god) appears to have been eliminated in Alabama. At the time we thought there was only 3 in Nashville, has to have been 4 now thus Frenchie left there. Brunchfast leaves during Athens with Po Noys and Braised battling it out in Savannah.