Type keyword(s) to search

Diana in other media: The Amazon Princess Diaries

Note: I'm not intending this to be a place for in-depth discussion of her comic book appearances; there's a whole other forum for that.

It's been publicly announced that Gal Gadot has been signed to play Diana in Man of Steel II, aka Batman vs. Superman, and that she has a 3-movie contract which is anticipated to include Justice League as well as possibly her own solo film.  Justice League was announced Sunday, but I noted this at the end:

And while there are no plans yet for a “Justice League” spinoff featuring Ms. Gadot’s “Wonder Woman,” Warner executives said they are warm to the idea.
“That is our hope,” said Sue Kroll, president of worldwide marketing. “With the right script, that could be viable. The world is ready for her.

(Emphasis added.  If their head of marketing is alluding to the freaking theme song, there's got to be some traction there.)

I just found this speculative Photoshop (here) of Gal as WW, and personally, I think it's the best I've seen so far:

gal_gadot_wonde_woman_03.jpg

(From the research I was able to do, this is the earliest source of the photo, and the original is from this photoset).

• Love 1

A friend sent me this article today. I could see this woman playing Wonder Woman. I think she has the right look -- and she doesn't look as though she would blow away in a breeze. No clue whether she can act or not.

She's a lousy actress by Bollywood standards. She did one Hollywood film years ago, which I didn't watch, so I can't speak to how that transitioned. She's done a few Loreal commercials. But again, that was years ago.

Yeah, an Indian friend of mine had the same opinion. Said she's an absolutely abyssmal actress. Too bad. She's physically a better match than pretty much anyone else I've seen.

When she was a bit younger (in the early 90s), Melina Kanakaredes joined a soap I watched and I thought she was gorgeous. I found out she was actually Greek and I felt my screen Wonder Woman was obvious to anyone who had eyes.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005074/?ref_=nv_sr_1

That she got to play Athena in the first Percy Jackson movie was nice, but not the Greek I wanted.

I'm still good with Gal Gadot, though. We don't know how pumped she'll look or much of anything, so I'm okay with waiting a bit. The movie is in early shooting, so there's not much to do/say, imo.

I thought Maria Menounos should play her for a while, honestly.  And Adrianne Palicki wasn't actually bad in the horrific David E. Kelley pilot; she just had a horrible vision to play to.

From the few clips I've seen of Gal Gadot, and the fact she's done her two years in the IDF (so she knows how to real-fight), I think she'll be fine.  The fact that so much criticism of her comes from the "bust isn't big enough" angle is really pissing me off.

My problem with Gadot has nothing to do with her bust, but the rest of her. From all the videos and pictures I've seen of her, she's too teeny tiny to play someone who's supposed to be playing an Amazon princess. And the fan art that I keep seeing posted in this group I'm in on Facebook makes me roll my eyes, because that's NOT her body that people, or rather guys, are salivating over, and saying, 'oh yeah, she can play Diana!'.

Since they're going for a "weary, older" Bats, I don't see why they can't get Lucy Lawless. Not that I'm saying Lawless is "weary", but even if she isn't in her 20s, the woman looks damn GOOD and FINE and I still maintain she could pull it off.

But it's all moot and no point in me bitching or moaning, because from what I've read, Gadot has a multi year deal to play Diana.

But it's all moot and no point in me bitching or moaning, because from what I've read, Gadot has a multi year deal to play Diana.

My understanding is that she has a 3-picture deal, and from one source I saw she's comparatively cheap (less than a million/picture).  Assuming her agent didn't oversell her ability to bulk up (i.e., Snyder et al are happy with her physique), I don't think she's going anywhere.  And alas, the Warner Bros. Tours "big reveal" didn't have anything to do with seeing her in costume (but the hysteria this weekend was hilarious).

I can live with it. It's dark, but the modern DC costumes generally are. I care less about how she looks than how they write the character, though, and I remain 99.9999999999999999% sure they'll screw it up.

• Love 1

Since this is the first for sure reboot I had hoped for a costume similar to Lynda Carter. Much like Batman, Superman and Spiderman, that is the iconic Wonder Woman costume and for her first outing she should be wearing that. You can slightly darken it and make it look stronger as they've done with Batman and Superman, but I wouldn't have drastically changed the uniform. It reminds me more of Xena Warrior Princess. Still, as long as the story is right I'll deal with it. I still doubt it WILL be right. I would start ala Captain America with Wonder Woman coming from paradise island in the 40s. I feel they keep over-thinking it which is why nothing can get off the ground. Take that origin story and develop a strong story around it.

• Love 1

I've since seen several posts online where people have Photoshopped the filter off that photo, and the colors brightened considerably (and the skirt is blue).

Also, The Hollywood Reporter is saying that Michelle MacLaren will be directing the Wonder Woman movie, with Zack Snyder producing.  I've since seen it picked up by other sources, with EW in particular reporting that they had been able to confirm it for themselves.

• Love 1

That's the trial balloon costume from the failed David E. Kelley pilot; by the time they filmed, she was wearing dark blue velour pants instead of electric blue pleather.  It was far too shiny and looked like fake plastic (IMO).  So far as the cosplay goes, I'd recommend working on the Gal Gadot version instead, and not relying on the judgment of a website that's trying to sell you that jacket.

Rope via eBay?  How about Home Depot?

Those of you in Southern California may want to head to Manhattan Beach on December 5.  Comics store The Comic Bug is presenting their performance of the script for Joss Whedon's shelved Wonder Woman project from 2005.

In 2005, Joss Whedon was hired to write and direct a live action Wonder Woman feature. Years before the success of The Avengers, ultimately, the project and Whedon were abandoned and the project was left in limbo (Aka Development Hell!)

We got our hot little hands on a copy of this legendary script and will be bringing it to life with our very own Wonder Woman, Jennifer Wenger, in FULL costume. Joining us as Steve Trevor is actor/director Curtis Fortier.

We'll also be joined by Adam Marcus and Debra Sullivan (writers of the current hit film MOMENTUM) and a handful of other comic creators, actors and actresses TBA!

This will probably be the closest opportunity to experiencing Joss Whedon's vision for the Amazonian Princess and it's totally FREE! Popcorn and beverages will be served.

Those of you who attended last year's Development Hell (Indiana Jones and the City of the Gods) knows what a fun and rare experience this is! See you here!

• Love 1

Also in the "old and never produced" category, from Superhero News, we have some pics of Megan Gale as Wonder Woman from George Miller's Justice League Mortal project that was cancelled in 2008.  Armie Hammer was cast as Batman, D.J. Cotrona was Superman, and the film would have been in a separate universe from the Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy.  (A link to the actual movie script is at the link.)

U9H84Di.jpg

SIffYvl.jpg

On 10/6/2016 at 10:34 AM, MarkHB said:

The UN has proclaimed October 21 to be Wonder Woman Day; Lynda Carter will be on hand for the ceremony.  Also, she's getting her own postage stamps; First Day of Issue will be tomorrow (10/7) at New York Comic-Con.

Lots of other stuff coming as well for her 75th Anniversary... her own 80-page special the last week of this month, etc.

It turns out that Gal Gadot will be there at the UN as well!

The Supergirl Twitter account announced Friday that, due to scheduling, Lynda was unable to answer the questions as planned but she will do so at a later time.  I assume it's a combined function of the UN event starting something like 20 minutes late, and the massive Internet attack Friday.