Type keyword(s) to search

Instinct in the Media

Here's the trailer:

What do you think?

I think this show looks like a great fit for CBS, although I'm surprised that they paired him with a woman; I'd have expected CBS to pair a gay male lead character with a straight male partner.

This isn't my kind of show so I was surprised by just how winning and appealing I found both Cumming's character and the trailer to be. He looks like he's enjoying himself and it was fun to watch. I assume the show will hope to draw in former viewers of The Good Wife; that's where I know him from anyway.

On 1/27/2018 at 4:33 PM, Kirsty said:

I'm surprised that they paired him with a woman; I'd have expected CBS to pair a gay male lead character with a straight male partner.

I thought I heard in the above promo something about his character being recently divorced from a woman, no?

On 1/27/2018 at 4:33 PM, Kirsty said:

I was surprised by just how winning and appealing I found both Cumming's character

Alan Cumming has oodles of charisma.

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
  • Love 2
On 11/02/2018 at 3:00 AM, shapeshifter said:

I thought I heard in the above promo something about his character being recently divorced from a woman, no?

No. But Whoopi Goldberg's character says "When you finished that first book, you had just left your other life". Maybe you heard "wife" instead of "life"?

In any case, I just looked it up and playing a gay lead character was one of the draws for Cumming:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/alan-cumming-being-broadcasts-first-leading-gay-character-cbs-instinct-1072172

• Love 1

----- VERY MILD SPOILERS -----

Hi. lead character Alan Cumming has identified himself to be bi-sexual.

Cumming's character Dr. Dylan Reinhart has

Spoiler

a husband on the show.

Reinhart now works as a

Spoiler

university professor teaching a popular college level course about abnormal behavior. He has made a promise to husband Andy that he will not return to his previous, dangerous job as a criminal profiler for the CIA. This previous profession is the "other life" referred to by Whoopi Goldberg's character.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
blissfulbunny/Jana

Las Vegas NV USA

@instinctfans

http://www.sexynaveen.com/Projects/Instinct/Instinct-Season-One

Pic - 13w 90.png

Edited by blissfulbunny
On 2/22/2018 at 5:01 PM, blissfulbunny said:

Hi. lead character Alan Cumming has identified himself to be bi-sexual.

Do you mean Alan Cumming, the actor, is bi? Or do you mean someone said the character he plays in the show, Dylan Reinhardt, is bi?

47 minutes ago, mbutterfly said:

The character Dylan.

Well, in the pilot, I know Dylan specifically said that he was gay to Lizzie ("you didn't know I was gay"), but Alan Cumming is bisexual. I don't think Dylan's supposed to be. Unless Dylan does come out as bi later on, which I hope he doesn't because a huge draw-in is that there's no way for Dylan to hook up with Lizzie right now, which is a complete change of pace from all other procedurals, where the two main leads at least have the potential to hook up if they need something to happen. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Did Instinct Copy Bones Storyline? EP Apologizes for 'Unintentional' Parallels

I haven't watched the third episode yet, but I think this is a serious offense (as in potentially worthy of termination) for the writer.  TV shows "borrow" from other shows all the time, but this seems more like plagiarism than inspiration to me if the EP thinks it's serious enough that he must look into it.

ETA: Now I have watched the episode, and A LOT of the storyline with Caleb was copied from the Bones episode.  This was more than familiar ideas being recycled and reused in a different form,  The Instinct version was very close to the Bones version of the storyline....too close in my opinion.  I would be very angry if I were the writer of the Bones episode.  There should be a consequence (like probation) for the Instinct writer if he isn't fired outright.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 2
(edited)

I've read more information about this, and the writer in question once worked for Bones.  He didn't work on the Bones episode specially, but I have a very hard time believing that he wasn't aware of it on some level or watched it when the Bones episode aired.

There is a concept called unintentional plagiarism.   I could buy that being the case here if we were talking a paragraph of a part of a scene, but there are too many similarities to make me think this was a simple mistake,  It seems intentionally lazy to me.  I have also read that there may be a second Bones episode that the writer might have "borrowed" from for the Instinct episode.

Edited by Ohmo

I, on the other hand, am pleased and a little surprised (given the muted to hostile response), although I hope they'll take this as an encouragement to step up their game in the writing department.

From the Variety article on the renewals:

The renewal for Alan Cumming drama “Instinct” was a vote of confidence in the CBS TV Studios midseason show that has been a modest performer to date for the Eye on Sunday nights.