Type keyword(s) to search

Stannis Baratheon: He Never Asked For This

Fen
  • Start Topic

However, Jephthah's daughter, and the story of Abraham and Isaac, show that Jehovah of the Bible was already known in those days for demanding burnt offerings of children, and that part of the new covenant between him and Abraham was that he wouldn't be doing that sort of thing anymore. Who knows how long that was going on, before Abraham got the idea to sacrifice a sheep instead?

I agree Melisandre and Joan are apples and oranges. Melisandre is more like an Old Testament prophet.

Jephthah's daughter wasn't a demand, he freely promised to give an offering to God, and this was long after Old Abe. Abe was tested but he was not asked to burn Isaac alive. Burnt offerings of children were offered to other deities, but the OT God denounced that shit more than once. Jephthah and anyone like him were not acting according to God's will or the teachings of Moses.

Brb, I think it's time one of us gave Melly her own thread.

(edited)

'Occupying army' is a bit of a dicey term in the medieval period.  Aside from that, Joan knew that the English weren't going to pack up and leave. And at the risk of sounding like Tywin - she slaughtered hundreds, Melisandre slaughtered one.  Also - while Joan passed the Dauphin's original test, she failed the ultimate one - the ecclesiastical trial set up to determine her heresy.  Ultimately, the Church decided that Joan's visions were not sent from God.

Now that we have the thread, I'm gonna reply in the Melisandre thread.

ETA nevermind, I think it'll take us too far off into the off-topic rabbit hole, unfortunately.

Edited by ulkis

There are those who think that about Iphegenia, too. See Euripides.

Yes, that a deer was killed in her place. Adds even more tragic meaning to Shireen's carved stag. But wikipedia says this is not generally believed to be a part of the original manuscript.