Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: I Hear You Knocking

After being marked by The Hollow's dark magic, both Klaus and Marcel experience the symptoms of a malevolent haunting, forcing the two adversaries on a violent collision course. Meanwhile, Hayley and Elijah head out to speak with Mary after Hayley uncovers a mysterious link between the dark magic and her former wolf pack. Finally, as an exhausted Freya risks her own life to cure Klaus' infection, a guilt-ridden Keelin must decide whether to honor her Hippocratic oath and help Freya – or flee the Mikaelson's forever.

Promo:

What the hell Elijah??... Marcel helps to save ur neice gets infected by some super ghost just like Klaus decides to fight the urge and not kill Klaus instead tries to find a way to save both of them.. And you lock him up and then even worse just rip into him basically calling him nothing then threatining him again...  Have the powers that be just decided to turn him and Freya into full-time monster touches who justify every horrible thing they do because its *for the family* very confused and dissapointed... Good episode tho shane it looks like Taylor Cole's character  has a secret agenda... I like her and Marcel together

• Love 1

I don't know why Klaus assumed that because the hollow can get inside and see him, he could do the same to the hollow. That's not always how it works.

I honestly don't think I could handle Elijah in jean shorts. It would just be uncontrollable laughing from me.

• Love 1

No Vincent?? Bor-ing. At least I was treated with the gift of more Sebastian Roche (Mikael) AND Mary's continued hate of any and all Mikaelsons. I will never tire of the distasteful look on her face when she sees one, she hates them so much. Hee! 

Every time I hear "Hollow" on this show my fried brain immediately things of Justified and their hollers. 

I like Keelin (spelling?) but her and Freya getting closer seems forced to me. 

I just realized: Hayley admitted she has really done horrible things to find her parents but still no direct admission of her betraying those twelve wolves over on TVD and having them sacrificed for more info on her parents. I know TVD is done but it still irks me that TO still doesn't have her admit that particular betrayal. 

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I honestly don't think I could handle Elijah in jean shorts. It would just be uncontrollable laughing from me.

And don't forget the flip flops. I'm having trouble even imagining Elijah wearing anything other than his suit. And now I'm trying to remember if we've ever seen him wear anything else (not including flashbacks).

• Love 3

Was that actually Elijah at the end? I need to see that again but I'm choosing to believe that if the Hollow got it's blood sacrifice it's not done with Marcel. Even if Elijah convinced himself Marcel was an irredeemable monster and threat in an attempt to assuage his guilt it seemed strange for Elijah without a catalyst to go out of his way to verbally tear him apart. Telling Marcel he once considered him a son specifically makes me doubt it was Elijah as it seems quite uncharacteristic for Elijah to admit such a emotional attachment/vulnerability.

I'm not sure how I feel that where Klaus was haunted by Mikael, Marcel saw Elijah and Klaus but it ultimately seemed right. Though the brothers loved and cared for Marcel in a way Mikael never did Klaus they undeniably caused significant damage. It also caused a nice mirror, Mikael was the only father Klaus knew and the most influential figure in his life, Klaus was the main paternal figure for Marcellus but at one point it's obvious Elijah had assumed a far more traditional parental role that had lasting affects. Obviously Klaus has had an enormous influence on Marcel's life and Marcel's previous need for his approval suggests Elijah did as well.

Oh, the Crescents! Mary once again made me uncomfortable with her role in Hayley and more importantly Hope's life. Hayley's a grown woman and maybe she can accept that she was the sole exception to the pack's no vampire/hyrbid rule because of the alpha ritual with minimal frustration, resentment or self hatred but I'll never understand the desire to raise Hope in an environment where essentially everything she is - Mikaelsons, vampires/hybrids even witches are held in contempt. Hope was/is an exception and I believe both Jackson and Mary love(d) her and the pack would have accepted her growing up but I can't shake the damage of being the exception to their hatred and disgust could cause Hope, Mary's been the only constant presence aside from Hayley during her childhood, the hurt from learning Mary's soul deep hatred for her family and possibly her kind would likely be devastating. Prejudices and the in-continuity of Hayley's childhood aside I'm mildly interested in the historic misfortune of the Lebonairs, they made such a big deal of her being the last and wolf royalty with other packs interested in her return I'd love for it to end up with more significance than an arranged marriage. I don't know to be gratified that Hayley's betrayal of the hybrid pack was finally referenced or further frustrated that it's still hidden. Though at this point I suppose it doesn't have much impact not really changing anything as opposed to if it was revealed in the first couple of seasons where it could have been had an incredible affect on the dynamic between her, Klaus and Elijah.

I thought Freya was amazing, it's apparent that she's both the ruthless Viking witch and a terrified girl who spent 1000 years yearning for her family and every moment since desperately trying to hold on to them. The developing relationship with Keelin comes off rushed and maybe a bit forced what with the sexual tension and Keelin's unprompted return but they're working with 13 episodes and I certainly like the idea of the two bonding. Keelin acknowledging and appreciating that Freya's actions were all in fear for her family's survival and that she'd do the same was refreshing. People will do awful things in the name of family, its not something the Mikaelsons have a monopoly on it's the reach of their family over 1000 years that sets them apart.  In the warehouse with Hayley surrounded by coffins Keelin seemed relatively accepting of the fact Hayley was just trying to save her family, Freya obviously went further and I wish there was more time spent showing the development of Freya and therefore Keelin's opinion of her and reconciling Freya's brutality with her commitment to family.

1 hour ago, paulvdb said:

And don't forget the flip flops. I'm having trouble even imagining Elijah wearing anything other than his suit. And now I'm trying to remember if we've ever seen him wear anything else (not including flashbacks).

Fighting with Marcel in the church/fight gym at the start of season 3, it was just as strange to see as the thought that he should be sparring in a suit.

Edited by Sam Marie
  • Love 1

I hope it wasn't Elijah but with the thorns growing and no showing of the blue eyes on Elijah... So I think maybe theyre just making Elijah dark this season... But man was that cold... Marcel has never been a threat to Hayley or hope... And Klaus and Elijah have been horrible to him from the beginning of the series... From framing the dude who played the horn to compelling cammie all the way to killing davina and killing him.. I assume Marcel has no family on account of being the master's bastard but damn dude... These mikaelsons really don't seem to hold you in the regard you do... I used to think this show was about the bond between Elijah and Klaus but more and more its about a son with a crappy father who raised a son and did a shit job... Its always been about daddy Klaus and his baby boy Marcellus... The way its shading I wouldn't be surprised if Klaus either kills or seriously injures a sibling defending Marcel at some point finally acting the way he hasn't as of yet and the way he always wanted mikeal to act... Also looking fwd to Hope and Marcel meeting

3 hours ago, Sam Marie said:

The developing relationship with Keelin comes off rushed and maybe a bit forced what with the sexual tension and Keelin's unprompted return but they're working with 13 episodes and I certainly like the idea of the two bonding.

Bonding and friendship is fine, but this is the CW and you know they're making Keelin a love interest.  It bothers me, because as far as I remember, Freya is straight.  I seem to remember her having a date, with a man, that Klaus (rather humorously) interrupted, to her annoyance.  Suddenly she's now going to be a lesbian?  Supergirl handled it really well with Alex coming out, but I really don't think it'll work on this show since there's so much else going on that they won't devote adequate time to let it develop naturally and it's going to be Suddenly Sexuality

I was trying to figure out if the Elijah speech at the end was coming from the Hollow or if the writing on the show just got totally out of whack. We have known the character of Elijah for MANY years (since S2 of TVD) and he has been written pretty consistently over the past seven years. The Elijah we saw at the end of this episode was not the Elijah I know. Yes, he's fiercely loyal to his family, but what he said to Marcel made no sense at all, to the point that I was confused. Ha, and really, show? Klaus has changed for his daughter? In the last three days? Sorry, no.

On 4/15/2017 at 8:35 PM, mac123x said:

Bonding and friendship is fine, but this is the CW and you know they're making Keelin a love interest.  It bothers me, because as far as I remember, Freya is straight.  I seem to remember her having a date, with a man, that Klaus (rather humorously) interrupted, to her annoyance.  Suddenly she's now going to be a lesbian?  Supergirl handled it really well with Alex coming out, but I really don't think it'll work on this show since there's so much else going on that they won't devote adequate time to let it develop naturally and it's going to be Suddenly Sexuality

6 hours ago, doram said:

Her dating a man doesn't mean she's straight or that she is not attracted to women. It just means we've seen her, so far, attracted to only men in the 1.3 seasons she's been on this show. 

I think the show is implying that Freya is bisexual. 

I agree they're definitely going to make it a romantic pairing and aside from the fact romance makes their rushed bonding a bit more forced than if it remained platonic I'm all for it. But

I don't think sexuality is really an issue here. What have we actually seen of Freya's love life? Klaus teasing her about casual sex with frat boys and a single relationship in the 15th(?) century that resulted in her tragic miscarriage. Even if the attraction to women is new or unexpected, I can't see Freya having any sort of crisis or angst over it; the real difficulty for Freya would be allowing herself to become attached to someone outside if her family which potentially hasn't happened since her pregnancy and definitely not since she joined her siblings. Keelin's mentions of prior girlfriends haven't caused even the slightest reaction in the others & personally I have difficulty believing the Mikaelson's would have any issue or opinion concerning sexuality between their long lives and the fact they outlive cultures leaving them little reason for prejudice. I'd love nothing more for Keelin & Freya to get together and the issue of sexuality be entirely ignored and I think it would be entirely realistic in their situation. Freya's learning to connect and care for someone outside of her family & Keelin has to to work past their unsavory past, the reality of associating with Mikaelsons and leaving her past behind. I'd say sexuality is a non issue in their relationship especially with the Hollows unknown power and agenda to keep everyone busy.

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was trying to figure out if the Elijah speech at the end was coming from the Hollow or if the writing on the show just got totally out of whack. We have known the character of Elijah for MANY years (since S2 of TVD) and he has been written pretty consistently over the past seven years. The Elijah we saw at the end of this episode was not the Elijah I know. Yes, he's fiercely loyal to his family, but what he said to Marcel made no sense at all, to the point that I was confused. Ha, and really, show? Klaus has changed for his daughter? In the last three days? Sorry, no.

The more I think about it the more convinced I am it was the Hollow. Timing alone seems rather suspect, Elijah himself has no reason to visit and antagonize Marcel and it occurs essentially at the same time we're told the Hollow was back in the world having accepted the blood sacrifice - seeing as it's Marcel's blood and Elijah was his main hallucination..... And while Elijah can be cold and cruel and is definitely capable of so thoroughly brutalizing someone verbally its hard to believe (hopefully not just denial) that he would do so to Marcel unprovoked as regardless of everything with Davina, the Beast/killing each other etc there was a time where Elijah honestly loved Marcel and considered him family and I'm inclined to believe that part of him still cares for Marcel even if he considers him unconditionally against the family and has neither plan nor hope for reconciliation. As carefully aimed & well executed the attack there was something to it that felt sloppy in a way Elijah's command of language wouldn't allow, it may just be me but I felt a strange vibe that 'Elijah' was almost trying to instigate a sense of sibling rivalry between Marcel and Hope. The first time any real connection between the two was verbalized was after Elijah killed Marcel and Klaus asked Hayley what she would do if it was their daughter because Marcel was his son and when Vincent told him to suck it up because not only was Hope a kid but practically his sister was the sole direct comment and the only other acknowledgement other than Marcel's proclamations he was sparring Hope from the father Klaus was to him.  It seems off that Elijah would preach of how Marcel failed to be Klaus' redemption where Hope seems to succeed connecting them for the first time if for no other reason that the part of Elijah horrified by killing Marcellus, who acknowledged being bitten was his own doing wouldn't want to draw comparisons between him and his 7 year old niece but both Marcel and Hope have been affected by the Hollow, perhaps the most affected of the opposing force.

On 4/15/2017 at 8:35 PM, mac123x said:

Freya could very well be bisexual. On TVD we see that Rebekah isn't opposed to sleeping with girls, it isn't beyond the realm that Freya just never got a chance to explore to full spectrum of her sexuality. 

On 4/15/2017 at 6:11 PM, UNOSEZ said:

Also looking fwd to Hope and Marcel meeting

Same! Mostly because I don't know how she'd react to him or even what Hayley has told her about her big brother (IDC what anyone says, Marcel is Hope's sibling, blood or no). Does she know that Marcel is the reason she was without her family for so long? I heard rumblings that

Spoiler

Hope was going to have issues with Elijah because she wants her parents to be together and thinks Elijah gets in the way of that

So, if she knows what Marcel did, I can't see her taking kindly to him. Which, understandable...

9 hours ago, Sam Marie said:

It seems off that Elijah would preach of how Marcel failed to be Klaus' redemption where Hope seems to succeed connecting them for the first time if for no other reason that the part of Elijah horrified by killing Marcellus, who acknowledged being bitten was his own doing wouldn't want to draw comparisons between him and his 7 year old niece but both Marcel and Hope have been affected by the Hollow, perhaps the most affected of the opposing force.

Hmmm...good point. That whole interaction didn't sit well with me, even with Elijah's whole new no-nonsense-attitude. And it really felt funny juxtaposed to Hayley's request of him last episode that he do better in regards to other people.

6 hours ago, doram said:

Now that I think about it, the show had Freya make out with Alexis last season for reasons... so the attraction to women might not be entirely new/unexpected.

But I agree that it's beyond sexuality, at this point. It's more about her overcoming her inherent sociopathy. I don't see Freya being capable of having a healthy relationship with anyone, male or female and I fear for Keelin if Freya decides that she has one more reason to "own" the other woman. 

Name a Mikaelson who's had a healthy relationship - even as humans Elijah and Klaus failed falling for the same girl. I think we're gonna have to for Hope to grow up before we expect anyone to enter a healthy relationship.

But if you think about it Freya might actually have a better chance at a more or less healthy relationship, though she's undeniably damaged and her time apart left her with issues that differ from her siblings, unlike Klaus she hasn't lived every day of 1000+ years developing and reinforcing her inner sociopath. I'd argue a decent possibility that Freya's limited time actually living and interacting with the world would make her more susceptible to change/personal growth than her siblings despite that life being behind her sociopathic tendencies. And at some point I think we have to consider that having Ester and Mikael as parents instilled an inner sociopath in all their kids that has nothing to do with anything supernatural.

6 hours ago, Gwen-Stacys said:

Same! Mostly because I don't know how she'd react to him or even what Hayley has told her about her big brother (IDC what anyone says, Marcel is Hope's sibling, blood or no). Does she know that Marcel is the reason she was without her family for so long? I heard rumblings that

I doubt Hayley told Hope about Marcel, she created a world for her daughter where Klaus Mikaelson was her knight in shinning armor and it would be pretty difficult to bring up the Marcel she knew without damaging Hope's view of Klaus and Elijah, talking about Marcel during their first stay in New Orleans would be a little strange as Hayley wasn't alive and would only create questions as to why her brother isn't around. Plus Hayley's devoted to making sure Hope feels safe and retains her innocence stories of the Beast more powerful than her Original Hybrid father being responsible for her family's time apart is essentially the exact opposite especially if he's meant to be her brother.

As for those rumblings

Spoiler

Part of me is amused by the possibility because you can argue Elijah's loved and fought for her since first hearing her heartbeat and such but he's also never quite grasped the concept of boundaries where Klaus and Hayley alone are Hope's parents.  The part of me railing against it is just so damn relieved the three of them finally seem to have gotten it together but then the image of Klaus convincing Hope that Mommy & Uncle Elijah being in love is a good thing is now all I want from the season.

6 hours ago, doram said:

Yeah, that's my point --- Freya is a Mikaelson and they are a family of sociopaths. I think her "condensed immortality" (for lack of a better word) can work either way for her ability to, basically, function like a normal, empathic human being. 

Pretty much goes without saying that Esther and Mikael pretty much screwed their kids. In my opinion though, if you ignore TO, 

Going off-track: does it bug anyone any that these kids are called the Mikaelsons? Technically, Klaus isn't Mikael's son and Rebekah and Freya are not Mikael's sons. Why the heck do they even need last names? To get Social Security Numbers? To remain on the right side of the IRS... You know what.... that might actually make sense. 

Pretty sure the only relationship they've given us that could be considered healthy was Josh and Aiden and maybe Alaric & Jo.
Condensed immortality - I love it. I've never gotten over that they set up Kol's character so brilliantly, giving him a history separate from the others etc to ignore it so completely, so I've been holding onto Freya. I'm hopeful that they might actually address the major differences between her life and the Originals, so much time has been spent on how Hayley's past being different and its true and significant but just doesn't seem to warrant all the attention. Freya had Mikael as a loving father, there's no convincing me Hayley's time in the foster system rivals the oddity of that. It might have been time better spent exploring Marcel's past in relation to the family rather than focusing on the romance with Rebekah.

From Ester & Mikael's Stockholm Syndrome start and Ester selling her kids before they were born and the reality that Mikael believed Klaus his son til the moment turned wolf - what chance did any of them really have. (In no way excusing any child abuse in any form but culturally speaking Klaus being a bastard was significant) Ester hands Freya over and has her kids reborn (while robbing 2 sons of their identities & birthright) as abominations to the witches while Mikael makes them enemies of the wolves, it's honestly impressive what they managed in a mortal's lifetime.

Legally the Mikaelsons or any vampire who left their human life, don't exist. Stefan compelled his 'transfer' into school, any licenses or identities would be forged (Damon at Billy's bar) or compelled into existence. I wouldn't think last names became particularly vital in their everyday lives for quite some time after their transformation and by then already solidified. I've got a priceless image of Kol trying to file taxes without eating an accountant and I truly can't thank you enough for it.

I absolutely love that they are Mikaelsons, that Klaus remains a Mikaelson and that Hope was born one. As humans they were the 'sons of Mikael,' their identity was Mikael's claim/right or ownership over them making the truth of Klaus' parentage all the more significant. When Klaus was revealed as a bastard he lost confidence in his place among his siblings, hope Mikael would ever accept him, Ansel, his werewolf status connecting him to Ansel, Ester (in multiple ways) and his name/basic sense of identity. Upon finding the descendants of his father's pack it's apparent Klaus knows the irony, has felt the mockery of his own name which he cannot rightfully call his own. There's no escaping the significance. (And if he actually became Klaus because Niklaus was the name Mikael gave him...) Over the course of a thousand years they went from Mikaelson -- 'son of Mikael' excluding Klaus and connecting them (submissively no less) to the monster they all feared and hated and made themselves the Mikaelsons, the Original Family; dysfunctional, violent, paranoid, even broken, but a family they chose 'always & forever'

Further on the tangent of names, did it confuse anyone else that Hayley kept Marshall. Hyphenating Kenner seemed it could be a cross between distancing herself in an arranged and temporary marriage and a of statement of shared power as Alphas, but keeping Marshall over Lebonair after everything Hayley did to find them and their importance to the pack vs the adopted parents who kicked her out....

15 hours ago, doram said:

Actually, it looked like they only adapted the last name to print on the invitation cards they sent out to their house warming ball (TVD season 3). Prior to that Klaus was just Klaus, Elijah was just Elijah and the fact they were even brothers, and had other siblings was a thousand year old secret... 

Nothing about Hayley makes sense. 

As they spent 150 years  without knowing werewolves existed I'm pretty hesitant to use the Stefan or Damon's knowledge as reference. In the 15th century Katerina, Rose & Trevor knew the Lords Elijah and Niklaus as brothers but not necessarily Mikaelsons. They would have been known as the Mikaelsons when they built New Orleans, Klaus talks about how Marcel used the Mikaelson crest claiming it was for 'Marcel.' I think their introduction to Mystic Falls was highly unusual, Klaus and Elijah were the only ones awake and Klaus at least had gone to ground a decade or so prior and Elijah was seriously trying to kill Klaus. From what we've seen Klaus, Elijah & Rebekah lived together and never let Kol too far out their reach, I'd they were known as family or at least collective until 1918 when they fled from Mikael setting into motion a series of events that lead to 90 years of total separation between the siblings, prior to Mystic Falls

Too true...

25 minutes ago, doram said:

No, they didn't. (How could they? The writers didn't even know that Elijah and Klaus were brothers when they penned "Rose"). Rose described Elijah as simply one of the few members of Klaus's inner circle. 

The flashbacks with Elijah and Katherine show them referred to as brothers, I don't remember when we see it but it would have been after Rose died. Not just keeping flashback in chronological order but needing to remember when and the order in which they're introduced is exhausting!

I stopped watching TVD as it aired the same episode Elijah was introduced, (ironically it was because I never felt any attachment to any of the characters *shakes head*) so the Netflix experience a few years later was different, I never knew Elijah and Klaus weren't originally brothers it's really strange to even consider anything else at this point. Rose referring to Elijah as part of Klaus' inner circle struck me as wrong but as everything unfolded so quickly I just attributed it to Rose not being as close as Trevor and Klaus' ridiculous ego and attitude making him seem their superior.

1 hour ago, doram said:

Until season 3, Rose and every other vampire who referred to Klaus et al, referred to them as The Originals. (Again, Mikael did not exist until season 3 so necessarily, Klaus was merely Klaus. Rather like in the books, when he opted for the Madonna one-name appellation). 

I think there's a tv trope for this - fitting in the evolving pieces of mythology, and choosing which ones to handwave and which ones to outrightly retcon. Their "colonisation" of New Orleans doesn't even fit into what was established about the "Mikaelsons" from TVD. 

Mikael existed as the nameless father in season 2, right?  When Elijah tells Elena of their history the abusive father and bastard son were set up just the fact Mikael still lived wasn't mentioned - which I like to think even if Mikael the Destroyer was set up, is something Elijah would have the sense to omit.

You're probably right about the retroactively fitting in 'Mikaelson' in my mind New Orleans was just such a unique society and their home that it made sense the city would have known them by name. They're Original Vampires, it's a classification almost their own species, the distinction probably came from Ester making Alaric an original vampire and him gaining the distinction of strength and abilities. Obviously the name Mikaelson has it's own reputation but I considered "The Originals/Original Family" to be their reputation/identity across the larger supernatural population. Actual consideration/reflection now kills this logic but it was a decent reasoning that let me ignore the lack of continuity.

Likewise I like to imagine the significance New Orleans held (finding a home, Marcel's death) it was a particularly personal, emotional and 'recent' subject for the siblings making them reluctant to talk about and still rather fresh. A delusion Mikael kindly fueled by slaughtering and setting the city on fire with the goal of erasing everything Klaus built, allowing their rule of the city to remain somewhat of a secret.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:48 PM, doram said:

Why the heck do they even need last names? To get Social Security Numbers? To remain on the right side of the IRS... You know what.... that might actually make sense. 

Witches, werewolves, ancient vampire cults, demonic spirits, that's nothing compared to the Feds.  "May I speak to Klaus Mikaelson?  This is Bill Jones with the IRS.  We'd like you to come down to our office -  seems you haven't filed a 1040 for the last five years.  You were being held prisoner?  Okay, we'll need some proof of your incarceration.  Bring your receipts."   Way too many agents to compel, and there's no way Freya could cast a big enough protection spell.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2