Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E14: The Knockouts Premiere, Part 2

Vyk
  • Start Topic

From TV Guide:

The artists are paired against a teammate, as the Knockout rounds continue.  The coaches choose the winner from their teams to move on to the live shows.

Again, because of NBC continuing to push Trial & Error on us, this episode will only be one hour long.

• Love 1
(edited)

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam
Hanna Eyre (defeated Autumn Turner)
Josh West (defeated Johnny Hayes)
Lilli Passero (stolen from Team Alicia)

(Still Waiting)
Mark Isaiah
Malik Davage
Jesse Larson
Davina Leone

Team Gwen
Hunter Plake (defeated Johnny Gates)
Brennley Brown (defeated Aaliyah Rose)
Quizz Swanigan (stolen from Team Alicia)

(Still Waiting)
JChosen
Stephanie Rice
Troy Ramey
Brandon Royal

Team Alicia
Chris Blue (defeated Quizz Swanigan)
Ashley Levin (defeated Lilli Passero)
Anatalia Villaranda (defeated Dawson Coyle)

(Still Waiting)
Vanessa Ferguson
Jack Cassidy

Team Blake
Casi Joy (defeated Felicia Temple)
TSoul (defeated Enid Ortiz)
Aaliyah Rose (stolen from Team Gwen)

(Still Waiting)
Lauren Duski
Andrea Thomas
Aliyah Moulden
Caroline Sky

Names in bold indicate an artist who has newly performed and stayed on his or her team or has been stolen by another coach.  An asterisk indicates that this artist was montaged.

Edited by Jabu
  • Love 2
(edited)

Agreed with @Dots And Stripes.  Not a good night for Team Blake at all.  Got rid of someone who might possibly have done well in the Lives (even though I do think TSoul is excellent, too, and will also do well), and then stole a teen girl who's obviously fodder for the Lives (and that's probably why he did steal her).

But anyway, the performances:

Anatalia vs. Dawson: I was so shocked to hear Anatalia do so well on a Carrie Underwood song, especially when she's not a country singer like she is!  But she sounded just gorgeous throughout her performance.  Just a beautiful, clear, unforced tone.  As soon as I heard it, I knew Dawson had to pack his bags.  Indeed, while his performance was very nice, as well, something about it felt perhaps a bit too simple.  So I absolutely think that Anatalia deserved the win here.  Nonetheless, I enjoyed his tone, as well, and thought that he deserved a steal-back from Blake, especially more than the one who actually got it.

Enid vs. TSoul: Well, first of all, after her prior Battle montage, I'm glad they finally acknowledged one-chair Enid beating four-chair Valerie on-screen.  (Still a bit bummed about my hometown girl not making it at least to this round, though.)  As for her performances, I appreciated her trying to tackle another difficult Adele song, but I think she risked being seen as one-note if she only did hers.  That said, I think she did it in a much more believable way than Billy Gilman did it in his Blind last season.  She sounded a bit -- just a bit -- like Adele, too.  However, I fully agree with the choice to name TSoul the winner.  There was so much soul to his voice, he had so much power, yet didn't use too much of it, and he had much greater stage presence than Enid.  Pity Enid couldn't get Alicia's steal, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Aaliyah vs. Brennley: This is an honest question.  So . . . is this the first time in Voice history that a coach has kept both Battle steals rather than toss both or toss one and keep the other?  Anyway, I thought this was a blowout.  It was Aaliyah's worst song to date.  I appreciate her tackling the song of her idol, Meghan Trainor, but it just didn't come across well at all.  I'm also glad that Gwen addressed her vibrato.  It's plenty worrisome.  But Brennley?  Knocked it out of the park, in my eyes.  Choosing country-dominant Kelly Clarkson was a great choice since she's also a country girl.  She was just breathtaking to listen to from start to finish.  Only thing I would change up is moderating that vibrato of hers.  A bit too frequent for my tastes.  Aside from that issue, though, Gwen chose right here.  Aaliyah getting stolen . . . is whatever.  I think Dawson deserved the steal more, but Blake is all about saving the young girls.  I bet she's clear, easy fodder for the Lives, though.

So if nothing else, at least there's proof that the families are still in the audience.  I don't know why they only show them backstage now, though, or why they're only allowed to have one relative or loved one with them.

So next week, seven Knockouts remain, but only six will be shown, meaning that one will be montaged (which, given her prior Blind and Battle montages, will be Andrea Thomas and whoever faces her; I'd bet my life on that).  I'm very interested (unlike everyone else here) to see what's going to happen and can't believe that we again have to wait six whole days for the last Knockout episode.

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, Vyk said:

Agreed with @Dots And Stripes.  Not a good night for Team Blake at all.  Got rid of someone who might possibly have done well in the Lives (even though I do think TSoul is excellent, too, and will also do well), and then stole a teen girl who's obviously fodder for the Lives (and that's probably why he did steal her).

He may also see her YouTube followers as a wildcard. Having a preexisting following never hurts. If he's wrong, well she's gone soon anyway. If he's right, she could make it several weeks longer than her performances merit.

• Love 3
(edited)

Sigh. So far two of the steals this season have a combined age of 27. And the other steal, Lilli had no business even needing a steal in the first place.

Anatalia and Dawson: I like how we just now get the Tourette's component of Dawson's backstory right before he's out the door for good (maybe?). Anatalia has done three versions of the exact same "peddle mashed through the floor" song. I have no clue if she has any other gears than that. Imagine Dragons are one of the those weird bands where you think somebody doing a version of one of their popular songs could be really good....but then it usually ends up underwhelming. Dawson actually did a pretty respectable job, but he had no hope against Anatalia just like Missy Robertson had no hope going against Anatalia because all the coaches are infatuated with tiny "wind up doll" singers who can wail (or at least do a close approximation of a wail).

TSoul and Enid: Sorry Enid, thanks for playing. You really weren't supposed to win your battle either, but Valerie completely whiffed. TSoul is clearly Blake's unicorn this season. I'll admit, I didn't like this as much as his blind or battle. I felt like too much of this song sat in a really weird spot in his register. I think Enid got over-emotional and it messed with her pitch and enunciation in a few spots.

Brennley and Aaliyah: Clearly this was supposed to set up for Brennley to be the 4 or 5th "amazing" steal back from her original coach. And then she went and wrecked that possibility by pretty handily winning this KO. As much as Adam is the punching bag on this show, I thought he was right on the money when he said the main difference in this match up was 12 months (Brennley being 15 to Aaliyah's 14). There was noticeably more depth and maturity in her performance. Aaliyah was fine (not steal worthy in any way though). But again these 4 grown adults for some reason can't stand to see a widdle teenager get rightfully eliminated from this show so they are leaving America to do their job for them.

From Jabu's breakdown, I'm most interested in seeing what happens next week with Adam's team just because Jesse Larson is such an odd fit with any of his other three remaining contestants. I'd say he gets Malik, just because Mark and Davina make so much sense as a KO. Alicia's got one left (hurray, Jack can't be stolen to stay in the competition!). Gwen and Blake seem to have pretty straightforward match ups left (although I'll be bummed if Andrea's montage streak takes Lauren with her. I'm confident Lauren would win that KO but I'd really like to see her shown off on TV one more time before the lives).

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I like how we just now get the Tourette's component of Dawson's backstory right before he's out the door for good (maybe?).

I thought that was the first mention of it.  Weird.  I never heard him once break out with a swear word.  I could've sworn that that's untreatable.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

From Jabu's breakdown, I'm most interested in seeing what happens next week with Adam's team just because Jesse Larson is such an odd fit with any of his other three remaining contestants. I'd say he gets Malik, just because Mark and Davina make so much sense as a KO. Alicia's got one left (hurray, Jack can't be stolen to stay in the competition!). Gwen and Blake seem to have pretty straightforward match ups left (although I'll be bummed if Andrea's montage streak takes Lauren with her. I'm confident Lauren would win that KO but I'd really like to see her shown off on TV one more time before the lives).

Jesse is basically blues with a bit of soul, so I can see him opposing Malik, who's R&B/soul.  Mark and Davina are pop singers, so they're also a natural pairing.  And you seem pretty confident that Vanessa will beat Jack, @PhD-Purgatory15.  Not that I'm not the same way, but one can't tell with Alicia, especially this season.

• Love 3
(edited)

That's true, Vyk.

After watching Alicia pick Ashley over Lilli I don't really know what's going on with Alicia this season. Let's just say I think Vanessa will "win" the KO with Jack on merit....and then it remains to be seen what Alicia will do with that.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3

I was so surprised by Brennley's performance. I knew she was talented but didn't know she could deliver such a beautiful and heartfelt performance. It was right on the money. Some of the adults in the competition need to take lesson from her. Her youth still came through but it didn't take away from her performance like it did with Aaliyah. Aaliyah totally bombed and Blake stole her. Big fail, Blake!

• Love 4
(edited)

Since it looks like @jjjmoss isn't here this season, I have these iTunes stats for the Knockouts thus far.  And it looks like Gwen really has found her gems this season:

22 Hunter Plake I Want To Know What Love Is (The Voice Performance)
69 Brennley Brown Up To the Mountain (The Voice Performance)
179 TSoul These Arms of Mine (The Voice Performance)
189 Chris Blue Superstition (The Voice Performance)
241 Casi Joy My Church (The Voice Performance)
273 Josh West Carry On Wayward Son (The Voice Performance)
343 Lilli Passero Tears Dry On Their Own (The Voice Performance)
361 Hanna Eyre Bleeding Love (The Voice Performance)
1327 Anatalia Villaranda Two Black Cadillacs (The Voice Performance)
1352 Aaliyah Rose Like I’m Gonna Lose You (The Voice Performance)
1418 Ashley Levin Fancy (The Voice Performance)

. . . And Quizz hasn't charted at all.  Seems most of the country is over him.  Gwen would probably be better off letting him go at the Lives.  I just . . . I can't possibly imagine her being dumb enough to keep him beyond the Playoffs.  Still, Hunter and Brennley might be the artists she's been waiting for.  (Both of their Blinds and Battles charted very high, too.)

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 2

Brennley was the only one of the night to leave much of an impression for me.  The steals so far this knockout round are whatever.  Quizz and Aaliyah did not give good performances nor do I see any potential for them to do better this season. It's times like these when I think the producers are heavily involved.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Vyk said:

This is an honest question.  So . . . is this the first time in Voice history that a coach has kept both Battle steals rather than toss both or toss one and keep the other? 

Here is some data I pulled up a few seasons ago when we had this discussion. Adam and Shakira advanced both of their battle steals in the early seasons.  Might be more examples since then but I haven't looked it up. 

I hadn't picked any favorites until last night. Brennley really took good direction from her coach and addressed her previous problem with being overly demonstrative and it worked.  GREAT vocals and emotion.  So far, my favorite.  I hate that she's only 15, though.  I think the show should be for 18 and over, but, that's me.  I think the intensity, stress, time, emotional toil, should be limited to over 18.  JMO.

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, Vyk said:

I thought that was the first mention of it.  Weird.  I never heard him once break out with a swear word.  I could've sworn that that's untreatable.

Tourette's syndrome displays in a lot of different ways - uncontrolled sounds, repetitive movements and tics. The whole "shouting out swear words" thing does happen but it's not the most common manifestation of the issue, just the one popularized on talk shows and comedy shows. There are quite a few treatments, from what I understand. Behavioral therapy and/or meds. It sounds like singing is a kind of therapy for Dawson.

Brennley completely blew me away last night. Now I'm trying to remember what she did to lose her Battle round with Blake...

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Gbb said:

Tourette's syndrome displays in a lot of different ways - uncontrolled sounds, repetitive movements and tics. The whole "shouting out swear words" thing does happen but it's not the most common manifestation of the issue, just the one popularized on talk shows and comedy shows. There are quite a few treatments, from what I understand. Behavioral therapy and/or meds. It sounds like singing is a kind of therapy for Dawson.

Brennley completely blew me away last night. Now I'm trying to remember what she did to lose her Battle round with Blake...

I recall it and thinking to myself that she was very appealing, cute, talented, good vocals, etc., but, that she oversang it.  Just overly emotional, imo.  But, that kind of thing can be helped with coaching.  Blake's loss.  Did he do it on purpose? Hmmmm.....What a gift to throw another coach.....

• Love 2
(edited)
35 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I recall it and thinking to myself that she was very appealing, cute, talented, good vocals, etc., but, that she oversang it.  Just overly emotional, imo.  But, that kind of thing can be helped with coaching.  Blake's loss.  Did he do it on purpose? Hmmmm.....What a gift to throw another coach.....

It's funny that you say that, because I had that exact thought last night (primarily because I couldn't imagine how Brennley had lost her battle round). So it popped in my head, "There's no way Blake made her available to Gwen on purpose, is there??" But...  I've since backed off of the idea because (1) "Blakey" may love Gwen but he's competitive, (2) he'd have had no way to be sure another coach might not try for Brennley and get her and (3) I rewatched Brennley and Lauren's battle round this morning and while Brennley was very good, Lauren did beat her imo. She is just more seasoned and polished and did a great job with "Better Man."

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 3

Yeah, Brennley was impressive. I wonder if Blake is rethinking his decision. It's not like he made a terrible decision, but, after last night....  As Adam said, it was an Emmy caliber performance.  ALTHOUGH, artist do fluctuate on their performances.  Sometimes, they get in their sweet spot and nail it, only later to never reach that same level.  I hope Brennley is able to achieve it.  And that she's able to handle the pressure.  It's a lot for such a young girl.  I'm not sure I'd let my teen of that age do it.  But, it is $100,00.00.  That could provide her with her college education.  I can't argue with that. 

• Love 4

I'm still a little gobsmacked at Blake's stealing Aalayah,  Just so weird when Dawson was available but went home.  Having said that, Brennley stole the night.  Best cover of that song since Crystal Bowersox on Idol a few years ago.  I'm always curious as to how the show labels songs.  Is it because Brennley sang Kelly's version of the song?  Which would be weird because the contestants are always encouraged to make it their own.  That song is original to Patty Griffin and Kelly did one of many covers (and a very good one indeed, but I prefer Crystal's). There are some good voices this season and I'm semi-excited to see where it goes from here.

Anatalia, honey, you have an amazing God-given gift but please lighten up a bit.  We need to hear some subtlety and texture because singing is more than full-on belting...like Brennley's, "Up To The Mountain".

• Love 4

I thought Anatalia did do a good job of changing it up a bit.  She's never not going to be a high energy singer, but at least this time I thought she did show more dynamics.  I liked that performance.   But of course the night belonged to Brennley, who probably had the performance of the knockout round so far.

When it comes to the steal, I'm not so sure I would rate Dawson's performance above Aayliah.  He was very unsteady at the beginning and quite sharp through most of the rest.  In contrast, she showed better vocal control and gave a competent, if unspectacular performance.  But I do think there were others on Monday night who probably deserved the steal more than she did.

I guess I don't mind them allowing teens on this show as much as others.  I did have my doubts when they lowered the age below 16, but the truth is that not only are most of the remaining teens quite talented, many of them are also surprisingly experienced given their age.  The likes of Brennley, Hannah, Anatalia, and Quizz have quite extensive resumes.  They are actually more experienced than many of the older contestants and its beginning to show as we get farther into the competition.

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:50 PM, viajero said:

I guess I don't mind them allowing teens on this show as much as others.  I did have my doubts when they lowered the age below 16, but the truth is that not only are most of the remaining teens quite talented, many of them are also surprisingly experienced given their age.  The likes of Brennley, Hannah, Anatalia, and Quizz have quite extensive resumes.  They are actually more experienced than many of the older contestants and its beginning to show as we get farther into the competition.

I have no problems with teens being allowed to compete, in general.  What I do have a problem with is them being left in the competition when they are clearly, fairly bested by someone more experienced, and a coach screws over said experienced artist just to keep them because they feel like "nurturing" them or their talent.  I think Ceelo, Christina, Usher, and Alicia are about the only four coaches not guilty of that offense.  Perhaps Shakira isn't, either.

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Vyk said:

I have no problems with teens being allowed to compete, in general.  What I do have a problem with is them being left in the competition when they are clearly, fairly bested by someone more experienced, and a coach screws over said experienced artist just to keep them because they feel like "nurturing" them or their talent.  I think Ceelo, Christina, Usher, and Alicia are about the only four coaches not guilty of that offense.  Perhaps Shakira isn't, either.

They've all done it.  Just curious, it seemed from your other posts that you didn't watch the show in the earlier seasons so you may not know what the coaches did then.  Anyway, even this season, Alicia picked the much younger contestant (Anatalia, Quizz) in a couple of battles who, in my opinion, were not as good as their experienced battle partners.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Noreaster said:

They've all done it.  Just curious, it seemed from your other posts that you didn't watch the show in the earlier seasons so you may not know what the coaches did then.  Anyway, even this season, Alicia picked the much younger contestant (Anatalia, Quizz) in a couple of battles who, in my opinion, were not as good as their experienced battle partners.  

Shit.  I just forgot about Quizz "besting" Felicia.  Either way, no, I haven't watched any season before season six, which I did watch, but don't remember well.

Though I won't belittle Anatalia's Battle win.  I thought she bested Missy fair and square.

• Love 3