Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Red Sun, Silver Moon

First real "slow" episode since the series premiere. Not totally a bad thing, I liked Moon, and I like that we know, basically, what happened to the Widow and how it is she's no longer "special." No surprise she had trouble following orders . . . Emily Beecham's performance might be my favorite thing about this show. The way the certainty of her words and actions is undermined by the uncertainty in her eyes. The way she only smiles when she's murdering someone, and then it's such a creepy smile. The nervous energy of a trapped animal. Everybody else on this show does a bit too much telling and not enough showing. By the time she actually said, "I've always been a good fighter, but I don't know how to be a leader" in Tiger Pushes Mountain, it was something we'd known on some level since Fist Like a Bullet.

It was something of a disappointment that the conclave/massacre is postponed until next week. 

Interesting that the Clipper who injured himself will not be "allowed to go." Go where? Is a seventh uninvited guest on his way to the conclave? That would be worth waiting for, I think.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, that one guy said:

No surprise she had trouble following orders . . . Emily Beecham's performance might be my favorite thing about this show. The way the certainty of her words and actions is undermined by the uncertainty in her eyes. The way she only smiles when she's murdering someone, and then it's such a creepy smile. The nervous energy of a trapped animal.

It would be a great creative arc if she was forced to kill a woman, as that would really put her in an emotional tailspin.

I just got into the show over the past couple of week, so this was the first episode I watched live.  I'm liking all the season 2 storylines so far, but I hope they don't spend the entire season with everyone so separated from each other - getting the Widow and Waldo in a room with all the other barons for the conclave will be a good start.

I loved meeting Nathaniel Moon.  Cool, tragic, and badass, and a great dark mirror for Sunny - most likely what Sunny would look like with no hope.  Their fight was amazing.  Here's hoping Sunny can escape that path.

I've decided I'm cool with Bajie because, while he's proved a rather annoying sidekick (like M.K., but in a different way,) I get a kick out of Sunny being irritated by his annoying sidekicks.  It's even more heightened here in the territories, where he's out of his element, desperate to get back to Veil, and without the "unfeeling" clipper facade to fall back on.

I hope M.K. is just being M.K. (i.e., thinks he knows everything and doesn't listen to the people who actually know stuff) and the Master isn't bad.  While I'm sure the monks don't mess around and take the discipline of these powered people very seriously, I kind of love the Master and want to believe she's very genuinely trying to help M.K., who as usual is too impatient and stubborn to see it.  Chipo Chung is killing it in the role; there's a warm groundedness to her performance that keeps it from feeling like the usual "master" archetype.

I'm so curious about what went down with Veil and Quinn that resulted in her living in his underground compound.  Why save him only to watch him die of cancer?  What's her play here?

(edited)
3 hours ago, angora said:

I'm so curious about what went down with Veil and Quinn that resulted in her living in his underground compound.  Why save him only to watch him die of cancer?  What's her play here?

The simplest explanation is that they need each other.  Quinn needed Veil to put him back together and needs her to at least try to treat his cancer.  Veil needs Quinn's protection for herself and her child.  Quinn's a monster, but he's a strong, powerful monster who will keep other monsters away.  Veil couldn't go to Ryder, who is weak at best and likely to try to hold her and the baby hostage against Sunny's good behavior.  The Widow?  The Widow is likely to get crushed by the other Barons.  No safety there.  For Veil it was "better the crazy, murderous, terrifying Devil I know."

Edited by johntfs

That look on Veil's face after she hides the tumor X-ray from Quinn (when he's walking out of the room) is veeeerrrrrry interesting.  I know she needs him, but I don't think she's curing him at all.  I think she's treating the pain but letting the tumor grow so that Quinn will die and she can get away (and get justice for her parents).

10 minutes ago, ratSenoL said:

I think she's treating the pain but letting the tumor grow so that Quinn will die and she can get away (and get justice for her parents).

That was pretty obvious.  Her father told Quinn that the tumor was basically untreatable and effectively a death sentence.  Veil's monitoring the tumor to gauge to size and type of dosage of drugs she need to mask the symptoms, but yeah, she's pretty much biding her time until Quinn's head explodes.  Assuming Marton Csokas comes back for Season 3 (if there is one), it's possible that some weird chemical combo that Veil uses accidentally ends up curing Quinn's cancer (or putting it in remission).

• Love 1

Sunny vs. Nathaniel Moon was pretty awesome.  One of the best fights the show has had, which is saying something.  Not too surprised Sunny found a way to defeat him, but not kill him, but I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't over, even if Moon is a hand down, thanks to Bajie.  After-all, he's only one kill a way from a thousand!  Maybe he'll get a free ice cream cone or something!  Also, Sunny used to opportunity to cut off that beard, so Daniel Wu is back to being clean shaven again.

Not surprised The Widow had Waldo go to the conclave instead of Tilda, because despite her affection for her, I think even The Widow knows that putting Tilda in that environment could end up causing turmoil.  The Widow continues to be the highlight of the series.

Veil is only pretending to cure Quinn, and is even swapping out his X-rays.  But they showed her being unable to destroy the most recent one, so I'm sure someone is going to end up discovering it.  Wonder what Quinn seems to be planning?

Continue to be bored with the M.K. stuff.

• Love 1
On 4/4/2017 at 8:45 AM, angora said:

I hope M.K. is just being M.K. (i.e., thinks he knows everything and doesn't listen to the people who actually know stuff) and the Master isn't bad. 

I hope so too.  The "Master is secretly Eeeeeeeeeeeevil" and needs to be out Asianed by the White Hero is sooooooooooooo played out.

On 4/9/2017 at 3:59 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't over, even if Moon is a hand down, thanks to Bajie. 

I hop so too and that he finds another reason to hope.  The character is too good to waste on just being a Clipper/killer/

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:20 PM, jhlipton said:

I hope so too.  The "Master is secretly Eeeeeeeeeeeevil" and needs to be out Asianed by the White Hero is sooooooooooooo played out.

I hop so too and that he finds another reason to hope.  The character is too good to waste on just being a Clipper/killer/

You use this term repeatedly.  Do you realize that Aramis Knight is Indian, Pakistani, and German?