Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
thewhiteowl

S01.E13: Backfire

On ‎24‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 5:26 PM, TheGreenWave said:

I'm hoping there is more behind the MacLeish story than his unit was set up, they killed a bunch of friendlies, and then they came back to the US and no one cared about their sacrifice as the reason for blowing up most of the government.  When Hannah was retelling the story to Kirkman, I kept expecting her to say, "but, there has to be more than that behind why he agreed to do this."  Pretty flimsy otherwise IMO.

Did I understand it right: in Afghanistan there was one CIA quy whose action caused all this (Catalan?) and MacLeish's men wanted to revenge him By killing him but MacLeish saved him.  But back at home, MacLeish agreed to destroy the whole government although most of its members had no idea about the happening. Rational eh?

On ‎24‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 8:48 PM, Princess Lucky said:

Agreed. That's it? He was "radicalized" because he felt betrayed? And where does Mrs. MacLeish fit in? She seemed to be even more of a believer. I think we may know the reason why MacLeish was willing to betray his country, but we don't know who approached him, and what their plan is. Still, this was a very underwhelming "reveal".

Did Mrs MacLeish marry him in order to become his supervisor? But didn't they tell when dining with Kiefer and his wife that they met as students?

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 6:32 PM, SharonH58 said:

I wish Aaron from 24 would show up.  Every time they use that name I think of him.  Glenn Morshower

I've been thinking of Mike filling the Aaron Pierce role here.  Hoping he doesn't turn out to be one of the bad guys.  And yes, Glenn Morshower would be welcome in any role. 

On ‎24‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 9:29 PM, kili said:

I'm not entirely sure why he feels betrayed. The mission was to deliver something to a supposed ally in-country. It turns out the ally was playing them. Maybe the government should have vetted the ally better, but it's not a straight up betrayal.

Maybe MacLeish was simple so childish that he couldn't undertand that it's human to make mistakes.

Whatever happened in Afghanistan, after that the government protected MacLeish. Killing civilians was kept secret, and instead he was declared a hero and it was because of this, he was elected to the House. 

On ‎24‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 10:32 PM, Danielg342 said:

My guess is that Hookstraten felt Leonard would provide the greatest punch, and he'd likely be the only one she felt could report on something as outlandish as what McLeish did and still be believed. We have to remember if reports came out that an incident like McLeish killing Catahan happened in real life there would be a lot of skepticism because it's fodder for conspiracy theories. A "regular" reporter just wouldn't cut it.

Not in ordinary circumstances. But after Capitol was blown up, POTUS was tried to assassinate and VP was shot By his wife, many people would have believed even worse.

Many sensible persons would have asked: when the assassin was killed, how many police did he kill before? Nobody - how is it possible? Who wanted to silence the assassin? Who would benefit of POTUS's death?

• Like 1

On 3/22/2017 at 10:17 PM, Frozendiva said:

Sutherland is really doing well as the President. So far, handling the position with honour. Just wish it had more Sorkin-like writing.

I thought of Sorkin during this episode when the Abe character mentioned being on the debate club at Northwestern.  Reciting one's credentials (paraphrasing Natalie from Sports Night here: "I've got a journalism degree from Northwestern , for God's sake") is a Sorkinism, and here it was happening on Designated Survivor!!

On 3/23/2017 at 0:18 PM, forumfish said:

I'd love to see Haysbert, but I saw him on a commercial for Shots Fired (Fox). I'd like to see Gerald McRaney, but the new version of 24 has him.

Ooh, I'd love to see (and hear) "Bill Buchanan" on my screen again -- anyone know if James Morrison is available?

Please no Gerald McRaney.  My UO. 

• Like 1

I've never been happier to see the back of any of the characters then I was Kiefers family. They were the absolute worst. So sickly sweet. Delighted they're gone for now. My only disappointment came when the chopper didn't explode mid air. 

• Like 1