Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Getting Risky

I enjoyed this episode, but I'm not sure how I feel about the how Mary Jane's brother handled that situation. 

I like Lee's wife! Great scene in the dressing room. Hey, it had to be some really good reason they weren't together!

I already knew MJ would hook up with Justin because why else would they bring someone who looks like Ealy on the show?

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, announcergirl said:

I already knew MJ would hook up with Justin because why else would they bring someone who looks like Ealy on the show?

Last episode MJ bragged that she'd been in broadcast journalism for 10 years. So why didn't her 10 years of experience, along with recent conflicts with Ronda, remind her that you shouldn't shit where you eat? 

I've only watched half the episode--will return with more comments. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I could see MJ and Justin coming from a mile away.  The only thing I'm waiting for is to see how and when they hook up and how she dumps Lee.  Speaking of Lee, Bless His Heart, as they say in the South.

I liked how PJ handled the situation with the daughter and mother and gave the Rolex back and cut ties.  I just hope this is the end of it but I suspect it's not because the mother, out of revenge, might place the blame for that girl's OD on him. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, topanga said:

Last episode MJ bragged that she'd been in broadcast journalism for 10 years. So why didn't her 10 years of experience, along with recent conflicts with Ronda, remind her that you shouldn't shit where you eat? 

I've only watched half the episode--will return with more comments. 

It hasn't happened but they are setting it up for sure!

14 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I could see MJ and Justin coming from a mile away.  The only thing I'm waiting for is to see how and when they hook up and how she dumps Lee.  Speaking of Lee, Bless His Heart, as they say in the South.

I liked how PJ handled the situation with the daughter and mother and gave the Rolex back and cut ties.  I just hope this is the end of it but I suspect it's not because the mother, out of revenge, might place the blame for that girl's OD on him. 

Did PJ have to give back the Rolex? I'm serious--wasn't it a gift?

I wish Ronda was written as a smart, cunning woman instead of a desperate, maniacally evil one. Seriously, she couldn't have lasted this long in broadcasting without having actual skills and intelligence. Instead, the show is portraying her as always lying, backstabbing, and conniving. The character deserves more complexity than that. 

32 minutes ago, topanga said:

Did PJ have to give back the Rolex? I'm serious--wasn't it a gift?

Yes, it was a gift but I think he was just emphasizing that he couldn't be bought, and I think it was his way of putting an exclamation point to the end of their relationship.  Actually, he should never have accepted it in the first place IMO.

I don't find Rhonda interesting at all.

My DVR cut off when Lee's ex was going to ask them a favor. What was the favor?

Maaaan, see, this is why I'd always be wary of dating a standup comedian. Nothing is sacred. Every conversation or fight is fodder for material. Lee really thought that MJ was going to laugh at him putting her family business out there like that? 

I thought PJ handled the situation well. He did the best thing by cutting ties and walking away. The farther he can get away from Darth Susan and her mother, the better. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

My DVR cut off when Lee's ex was going to ask them a favor. What was the favor?

She asked Lee to be the sperm donor for the child she wants with her female partner.  Guess we'll find out his answer next week.

Also, I just don't find Lee funny as a comedian.  I have yet to laugh at any of his jokes.  I think he depends on his British accent to get laughs.

• Love 1

Lee is a terrible comedian. That set was cringeworthy, and using her family as material and not asking her first?  He doesn't even deliver his lines in a funny way. He literally just talks as if he's talking to one person and not performing stand up.

And the intrusive ass ex??? Hell to the naw naw naw. Seriously, what is MJ's interest in this guy? He is mediocre in the looks department, the accent helps him out A LOT, has TWO kids that are teens or pre teens and an ex that thinks its better to kiss your new girlfriend instead of just saying "Im a lesbian." ??

I would run the other way so damn fast his head would spin.

MJ needs to tread lightly with Justin. I still don't trust him and his motives. It was made clear that the whole "If she goes, I go." Was just a ruse to build her trust. They definitely showed us that the move on Rhonda was revenge and not for MJ's benefit. I bet she still gives him some though.

• Love 2

Also, I'm wondering just how much money Lee makes as a "comedian," especially being part of a comedy troupe and not having his own shows.  I've read comedians' stories about their lives and unless you make it big, it's a scuffle to survive and, therefore, you really have to want to do it.   It's not easy.  So, after paying alimony and child support, and living in NYC, how much can he have left?  I think MJ is attracted to him mainly because he's British.  

I do think Justin is playing the hell out of her though. 

Edited by Ohwell
Added something
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Fairlily26 said:

Lee is a terrible comedian. That set was cringeworthy, and using her family as material and not asking her first?  He doesn't even deliver his lines in a funny way. He literally just talks as if he's talking to one person and not performing stand up.

And the intrusive ass ex??? Hell to the naw naw naw. Seriously, what is MJ's interest in this guy? He is mediocre in the looks department, the accent helps him out A LOT, has TWO kids that are teens or pre teens and an ex that thinks its better to kiss your new girlfriend instead of just saying "Im a lesbian." ??

I would run the other way so damn fast his head would spin.

That's what MJ has been doing all along, run every time there's an issue.  The truth is this, the older you get, the more issues there will be.  MJ should talk to Lee about the set he did about her family.  As for the kids, like I said, the older you get, the older the men get, don't be surprised if there are children.  MJ is forty, not twenty.

It seems that every man she goes with, she finds fault with and leaves.  Some of those faults are bad, like a man being married; but a man having teenage children, that's not abnormal.

25 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

That's what MJ has been doing all along, run every time there's an issue.  The truth is this, the older you get, the more issues there will be.  MJ should talk to Lee about the set he did about her family.  As for the kids, like I said, the older you get, the older the men get, don't be surprised if there are children.  MJ is forty, not twenty.

It seems that every man she goes with, she finds fault with and leaves.  Some of those faults are bad, like a man being married; but a man having teenage children, that's not abnormal.

If and when she does confront him about his set about her family,  he will most likely give her some speech about this is what dating a comedian is like and blah blah blah.

I don't think she's as into him as she puts on. I believe she is settling.

I do not think him having children is abnormal, I think she is settling for him and I don't think thats cool to let him involve his kids. 

Edited by Fairlily26
double post
Just now, Fairlily26 said:

If and when she does confront him about his set about her family,  he will most likely give her some speech about this is what dating a comedian is like and blah blah blah.

She actually did confront him about it right after the set, and he basically laughed it off.  I can't remember if he apologized but he certainly didn't seem to take her concerns seriously.  That alone would have set off alarms for me, just like the being naked on the couch incident.  Lee just doesn't seem to respect other peoples' boundaries.  

And yes, I do believe she's settling.   

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Fairlily26 said:

I don't think she's as into him as she puts on. I believe she is settling.

I do not think him having children is abnormal, I think she is settling for him and I don't think thats cool to let him involve his kids. 

I think that at some point, every human being has to settle for something.  I don't think MJ even knows what she wants.  Maybe her wanting to get married and have children is based more on fantasy than reality.  

I don't understand what you mean by "not cool to let him involve his kids."  Should he have not introduced them to her?  Maybe not.

Lee just doesn't seem to respect other peoples' boundaries.  

Or maybe Lee's boundaries are different than MJ's or yours.  

Edited by Neurochick

What I mean by "not cool" is that moving too fast is unhealthy for his children. They can get attached, and then what happens if they don't work out? 

God forbid I was single again and had to decide to start dating, I would be extremely cautious about my kids meeting someone other than their dad.

You said it yourself, "MJ doesn't know what she wants." It seems clear that she doesn't know if she is in it the for the long haul with Lee.

IMHO, they should have waited a bit longer for all of this. I do think she is living in a fantasy world. Remember her face when he was defending her against that bitter anchor dude in ATL? He was her "knight in shining armor" when he punched that guy.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Fairlily26 said:

What I mean by "not cool" is that moving too fast is unhealthy for his children. They can get attached, and then what happens if they don't work out? 

God forbid I was single again and had to decide to start dating, I would be extremely cautious about my kids meeting someone other than their dad.

You said it yourself, "MJ doesn't know what she wants." It seems clear that she doesn't know if she is in it the for the long haul with Lee.

IMHO, they should have waited a bit longer for all of this. I do think she is living in a fantasy world. Remember her face when he was defending her against that bitter anchor dude in ATL? He was her "knight in shining armor" when he punched that guy.

I agree that his kids shouldn't' have met her this soon.  I mean they're not even living together.

As for Lee punching that guy, I don't know about that.  I've seen too many men, of all races, blatantly disrespect black women, that I wish someone would punch them.  

• Love 1
On 3/12/2017 at 2:29 PM, Ohwell said:

She actually did confront him about it right after the set, and he basically laughed it off.  I can't remember if he apologized but he certainly didn't seem to take her concerns    seriously.  That alone would have set off alarms for me, just like the being naked on the couch incident.  Lee just doesn't seem to respect other peoples' boundaries.  

On 3/12/2017 at 2:31 PM, Neurochick said:

Or maybe Lee's boundaries are different than MJ's or yours.  

Both might be true. 

Mrs. Patterson established a boundary for Lee when she told him that she expected him to sleep somewhere other than with MJ while he was in her house. He crossed the boundary when he was naked on her couch. That suggests that he might not have respected the boundary. Even though he was an uninvited guest in her house. 

17 hours ago, RaeSpellman said:

Both might be true. 

Mrs. Patterson established a boundary for Lee when she told him that she expected him to sleep somewhere other than with MJ while he was in her house. He crossed the boundary when he was naked on her couch. That suggests that he might not have respected the boundary. Even though he was an uninvited guest in her house. 

He followed MJs lead. Who hasn't snuck nookie while the folks were sleep.