Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Highland Games

NOTE: Reign airs on Thursdays in Canada, meaning that the episodes are very often viewed a day before they have aired in the US. Therefore please be aware that this thread will almost definitely have spoilers for those who wish to wait until Friday night to view the new episode.

Lord Darnley must prove himself to Mary in order to get her to accept his marriage proposal. Elsewhere, Catherine and Narcisse have to do damage control after rumors spread regarding Charles' eccentric behavior.

Huh..they're making Darnley, well not exactly likable, but more capable than I would have thought, in a sneaky way. It's an interesting choice to not go with the real-life sudden infatuation Mary had with him -- I suspect they're saving that for Bothwell, since they have so little time to explain such a hasty marriage.

Lots of romantic chair-shuffling. I like Luc, I thought that he handled the situation with as much grace as he could. Claude struck me as being childish and selfish, but in such a...I dunno, child-like way that it's hard for me to hate her. I don't know why exactly Leith kind of bugged me. I guess it reminded me of his initial break-up with Greer; that he has his own standards for himself that he won't compromise, and tends to skew towards self-preservation. Of course he should have that right, but I guess something just gave me a knee-jerk reaction about his attitude.

I don't mind Greer now being paired with Leith again (as I have a feeling that he'll follow her to Scotland), although for a new love for some reason my mind went to Bash, which is funny because she was literally the only LIW I never shipped him with . I almost want to hate Castleroy but in the end I'm kind of relieved that Greer doesn't have to keep working through a marriage that just isn't going to go the distance. I was a little surprised that she didn't decide to go full Protestant so she could remarry. She had been planning convert anyway, and having a Protestant lady would be massively good PR for Mary.

For a second I wondered why Mary was still fighting for the English throne, when her original motivation was revenge over losing Lola, and that's been cleared up. But then I remembered that she knows outright (in this continuity) that Elizabeth is willing to imprison her for existing; I guess that would put her on the attack, feeling if she didn't Elizabeth would eventually anyway. I did think that dropping the Bastard-word in her speech was a dangerous move. Elizabeth will lose her shit when she finds out.

Charles's story in itself isn't all that interesting to me now that we know he isn't in fact going Henri-level nuts. But I was so happy not to have Leeza that the French court scenes were all interesting enough to me. I can't believe how incredibly frikkin' bad Charles's security detail was though. In the end I think there's just such a super-easy solution here: announce that taking the position of King too early has left Charles in ill health and RESTORE THE REGENCY. Charles doesn't want to be King, Catherine would LOVE to be Regent, and they could buy a lot of time for him to hopefully recuperate from his trauma.

So, last thing -- I really love the casting for Emily Knox. She just has such a wonderful fragile air to her. She makes James seem more interesting than he is.

• Love 1

I'm liking Narcisse's son right now better than Leith. I didn't expect him to actually tell Claude the truth, points to him for that. I guess he's nothing like his father after all. 

Why Narcisse even told him made no sense. Hide him in the dungeon and leave him there, why tell people? 

After all that with Castleroy and Greer, he fell in love with another? Put her back with Leith.

• Love 2

Didn't expect to hear the words "open marriage" so early in history! I knew Narcisse was up to something dropping in on the couple unannounced. I knew they wouldn't bring back Leith just to kill him off so quickly, but I wouldn't have thought that Narcisse wouldn't have taken that way out of his dilemma. Mary "fixing" the fight was fun. However, I thought the Highland Games involved log throwing or something. Maybe I was wrong.

I was actually happy for Castleroy that he found someone who likes him for himself. It was a nice twist. So will they hook up Greer with James or inexplicably bring Leith to Scotland?

The open marriage made no sense. Why would Luc even need to sleep with Claude if he couldn't ever be sure her kids were his anyway?

Glad to see Mary warm to Darnley a little, because history. Really this is only the 5th episode? Maybe they have time for Bothwell after all.

Contrary to a post above, I actually thought this ep was an improvement, but probably because I am generally annoyed by English court and the actress playing Elizabeth. I've probably seen the Blanchett movie too many times, but Skarsten's accent is terrible to my ears as well.

Edited by Moxie Cat

I am rooting for Leith going to find Greer because the Claude relationship is still assuredly not working for me. Luc seems like a winner! Stay with him. Also, I am hoping for an ending that doesn't go with the historically tragic execution of Mary. Maybe a Mary seeing the future of Britain united under her child with the help of Nostradamus?

On 3/19/2017 at 7:39 PM, Moxie Cat said:

Maybe they have time for Bothwell after all.

I'm thinking he's the Faithful Watchman.  Wasn't he a big world traveler?  He could have that wax made in Africa.

That conversation between Narcisse and Luc was gold.  "Tell her you didn't know until this morning." "I didn't!" "Tell her I was solely behind this." "You were!" Ah, bless you Narcisse.  How will I live without you?  I understand Leith not wanting to be part of this open marriage because, hello, look at Luc, but damn...poor Claude almost had it all.  

On March 20, 2017 at 10:09 AM, PinkRibbons said:

I'll settle for her reuniting with Francis in death. Man, do I miss Toby Regbo.

Me too...so wish he would have played Darnley! I don't know what he's doing now, but it seems like a brunet, "evil-twin" role might have been fun! And IRL, Mary was instantly attracted to Darnley and didn't find out what a shit he was until after the wedding...so casting Regbo would have explained a lot and even fit with the supernatural tone the show has had.

If they make it through the Bothwell stuff, this show will end with the imprisonment and there will be title screens explaining how long she was imprisoned, James I, etc. But I do wish they get through all the real-life dramatic stuff, because at this point, why not?

i will always love Narcisse, no matter what he does. I think it is possible that Claude winds up with Luc - they haven't set him up as a decent guy and split up Greer and Castleroy for nothing.

Please bring back Kenna for one random episode!

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 1
On 3/21/2017 at 11:09 AM, megsara said:

I understand Leith not wanting to be part of this open marriage because, hello, look at Luc, but damn...poor Claude almost had it all.  

She really did, didn't she? Claude is still whiny but I liked her and Leith. This Luc seems like a decent fellow (shocking considering his DNA) so I wouldn't mind her ending up with him either. They did a great job casting him, he looks just like Narcisse.

I assume we're setting up Greer and James? If he can tear his eyes away from his sister, of course! I was disappointed in Pepper Count until I remembered Greer had Pirate Baby.

I'm thinking we'll get some Bothwell (maybe up to the pregnancy?) and then flash forward to Mary's beheading. No way they're skipping that.