Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

11 out. Keeping 1.  "This is my relationship -- mine, not yours, not yours, not yours, [looks at Lorelai] yours, but not yours. Mine and hers but not - (looking pointedly at Taylor) yours!"

And yes, junie, I love the wink too.

I think L/L definitely deserved the win here.

So I have a couple of different ideas about what might be fun to do next...

I didn't see where a straight favorite character elimination had ever been done...

Or maybe favorite romantic pairings?

If the winner of either of these seems too obvious, or if we'd rather keep going with scenes, maybe we could do romantic scenes? We could do those season by season..

Any opinions/ Other suggestions?

How about favorite fights like the one in the pilot when Rory had met Dean and she was wavering on going to Chilton, Lorelai's "go to hell" at Luke b/c of Jess and the accident, or Lorelai emotionlessly hanging up on Emily when she was talking to sookie about the leftover risotto?  

Just now, Kohola3 said:

I think fights sound great.  Lots of options there.  Then maybe characters.  Do we break up Friday Night Alright into individual spats or take it as one whole brouhaha?

Friday Night Alright (FNA) could go either way.  People readily know what FNA means and how they feel about it, but yet another entry could be as minimal as "Jess goes splash" and the same applies.  (Hope that makes sense.)

I've come up with five so far, but here are three more -- Luke's head-cocking "Oh, don't tease" when Lorelai promises not to opine to him ever again; the yelling match between Daddy H. and Logan when the crew was vacationing at Martha's Vineyard; Rory giving Emily the cold shoulder at the post second honeymoon Friday dinner and their exchange when Rory gets up to leave early.  

If everyone contributes their top four or however many, we should have enough to get us started.  If there are more than the typical say starting forty or so, we could do multiple rounds, but not by season since we've already done that.  (YMMV of course.)

ETA:  Another big fave is the please ask to borrow my sweater, your boobs are bigger, you're cracked fight.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity

Ok, got it. 

Well, top 4 that first occur to me, other than the ones that have been mentioned above:

1) The Emily/Lorelai/Rory three way fight after Rory's Dance (Emily attacks Lorelai "She's going to get pregnant!", Lorelai kicks her out, then turns on Rory when she gets home "You're going on the pill!") ..1.09 ,"Rory's Dance."

2) Luke and Jess fight after Luke finds out that Jess isn't graduating. "Then you gotta go"..3.20, "Say Goodnight Gracie"

3) Christopher ambushes Lorelai at FND and has an emotional confrontation with both she and Rory, then is kicked out by Emily...3.02, "Haunted Leg"

4) Lorelai and Richard have a heated discussion about why Richard stood up for her to Straub :"Yes it does matter why I did it, it matters greatly!"..1.15, "Christopher Returns."

Ok, and a fifth..

5) Emily's smiley confrontation with Shira Huntzburger after she discovers the truth about how Rory has been treated..6.05, "We've Got Magic To Do"

• Love 1

The Season 5 finale - Lorelai's discussion with her parents when they let Rory move in.

Secrets and Loans - Rory vs Lorelai

Those are the ones that originally come to mind.

"Look at all the pretty candy!" Luke and Taylor battling it out in the ice cream store.

Paris and Rory fencing and fighting at the same time.

"Michel, the phone." ... "Do you know who's really nice to talk to? The people at the unemployment agency."

Sookie and Jackson arguing over strawberries and blueberries.

• Love 1

Jackson brought pea tendrils instead of Brussel sprouts and Sookie flips.  (ISS)

Lorelai confronts Emily about not being happy for her when she announces she's engaged to Max.  (H&V)

Rory announces she's dropping out of Yale, Lorelai reacts badly.  (AHINAH)

• Love 1

Christopher Returns - in the kitchen when he asks Lorelai to marry him.

It Should Have Been Lorelai - Christopher lays into Lorelai in front of everyone at Luke's.

Lazy Hazy Crazy Days - The elder Gilmores explode when Lorelai tells them that she and Christopher are not together.

Does it take two to argue?  I loved Luke's rant at the funeral home about Uncle Louis and his casket full of bric-a-brac.  But I suppose you can't argue with a dead guy.

Maybe a "Luke's Rants" elimination round in the future?

• Love 2
Just now, Kohola3 said:

Does it take two to argue?  I loved Luke's rant at the funeral home about Uncle Louis and his casket full of bric-a-brac.  But I suppose you can't argue with a dead guy.

Go, Luke, rant, Luke -- I dig that idea.  

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I would LOVE that.

Speaking of Luke, these may have been mentioned above but if not -

Luke & Lorelai argue about Jess "that kid is way more screwed up than you think he is" (N&N, S&N)

Luke & Lorelai fight about Jess driving Rory's car and getting into an accident (TMT)

Also -

The blonde wig brigade confront Lorelai over the way she handled the kids' questions about her teenage pregnancy (OHCATOOD)

The top fights that come to my mind: 

Lorelei and Sookie about opening an inn (Lorelei is secretly upset about Mia selling and takes it out on Sookie) - The Inns and Outs of Inns

Paris and Doyle fight about breaking up so she can decide which school to attend - It's just like Riding a Bike. 

Luke and Nicole fighting while Kirk "reads lips" (Honestly cannot remember the episode)

Paris and Janet's fight during the roommate meeting - The Incredible Sinking Loreleis

Edited by ghoulina

I have some more...

On the funnier side:

-Sookie and Jackson fight over Sookie's attempts to redecorate their house in a more "masculine" fashion (" It's terrifying! swear I’m gonna come out in the middle of the night for a drink of water, turn around, hit the floor and play dead!)...3.01 " Lazy Hazy Crazy"

-Emily and Richard fight as she decides to leave for Europe ("Only prostitutes have 2 glasses of wine at lunch!"; "Well then buy me a boa and drive me to Reno because I am open for business!")..5.01 "Say Goodbye To Daisy Miller"

Then we have the actual physical fights:

-Jess and Dean's animosity finally comes to a head...all over Kyle's house (Bonus: Dave and Young Chiu confrontation)..3.19 "Keg! Max!"

-Luke and Christopher fight amongst the Christmas decorations..7.10, "Merry Fisticuffs"

On the incredibly uncomfortable side:

-Luke and Dean fight over the bop it...5.04 "Tippecanoe and Taylor too"

And then an almost forgotten favorite of mine, just because I like to see this side of her:

-Rory stands up for Jess (and herself) post car accident to Lorelai and Emily at Richard's launch party ("I’m sick of this. I’m sick of everyone treating me like I’m some kind of mindless idiot being led around by a guy....I was just as responsible ..")..2.20 "Help Wanted"

The fight that killed Grannie - when Richard lambasted his mother when Trix told Lorelai how she had to bail out Richard early in his career.

Emily and Lorelai argue during high tea and Trix tales them to task for it.

Edited by Kohola3

1. Lorelai and Rory argue about Rory wavering on going to Chilton after she's met Dean (Pilot)

2. Lorelai's "go to hell" at Luke b/c of Jess and the accident.   Luke & Lorelai fight about Jess driving Rory's car and getting into an accident. (Teach Me Tonight)

3. Lorelai emotionlessly hanging up on Emily when she was talking to Sookie about the leftover risotto

4. Luke's head-cocking "Oh, don't tease" when Lorelai promises not to opine to him ever again.  Luke & Lorelai argue about Jess "that kid is way more screwed up than you think he is" (N&N, S&N)

5. The yelling match between Daddy H. and Logan when the crew was vacationing at Martha's Vineyard

6. Rory giving Emily the cold shoulder at the post second honeymoon Friday dinner and their exchange when Rory gets up to leave early.

7.  Please ask to borrow my sweater, your boobs are bigger, you're cracked fight. 

8. The Emily/Lorelai/Rory three way fight after Rory's Dance (Emily attacks Lorelai "She's going to get pregnant!", Lorelai kicks her out, then turns on Rory when she gets home "You're going on the pill!") ..1.09 ,"Rory's Dance."

9. Luke and Jess fight after Luke finds out that Jess isn't graduating. "Then you gotta go"..3.20, "Say Goodnight Gracie"

10 Christopher ambushes Lorelai at FND and has an emotional confrontation with both she and Rory, then is kicked out by Emily...3.02, "Haunted Leg"

11. Lorelai and Richard have a heated discussion about why Richard stood up for her to Straub :"Yes it does matter why I did it, it matters greatly!"..1.15, "Christopher Returns."

12. Emily's smiley confrontation with Shira Huntzburger after she discovers the truth about how Rory has been treated..6.05, "We've Got Magic To Do.

13.  Lorelai's discussion with her parents when they let Rory move in. (The Season 5 finale)

14. Secrets and Loans - Rory vs Lorelai

15. "Look at all the pretty candy!" Luke and Taylor battling it out in the ice cream store.

16. Paris and Rory fencing and fighting at the same time.

17. "Michel, the phone." ... "Do you know who's really nice to talk to? The people at the unemployment agency."

18. Sookie and Jackson arguing over strawberries and blueberries.

19. Jackson brought pea tendrils instead of Brussel sprouts and Sookie flips.  (ISS)

20. Lorelai confronts Emily about not being happy for her when she announces she's engaged to Max.  (H&V)

21. Rory announces she's dropping out of Yale, Lorelai reacts badly.  (AHINAH)

23. The blonde wig brigade confront Lorelai over the way she handled the kids' questions about her teenage pregnancy (OHCATOOD)

24. Lorelai and Sookie about opening an inn (Lorelai is secretly upset about Mia selling and takes it out on Sookie) - The Inns and Outs of Inns

25. Paris and Doyle fight about breaking up so she can decide which school to attend - It's just like Riding a Bike. 

26. Luke and Nicole fighting while Kirk "reads lips 

27.Paris and Janet's fight during the roommate meeting - The Incredible Sinking Lorelais" 

31. Christopher Returns - in the kitchen when he asks Lorelai to marry him.

32. It Should Have Been Lorelai - Christopher lays into Lorelai in front of everyone at Luke's.

33. Lazy Hazy Crazy Days - The elder Gilmores explode when Lorelai tells them that she and Christopher are not together.

34. Sookie and Jackson fight over Sookie's attempts to redecorate their house in a more "masculine" fashion (" It's terrifying! swear I’m gonna come out in the middle of the night for a drink of water, turn around, hit the floor and play dead!)...3.01 " Lazy Hazy Crazy"

35.Emily and Richard fight as she decides to leave for Europe ("Only prostitutes have 2 glasses of wine at lunch!"; "Well then buy me a boa and drive me to Reno because I am open for business!")..5.01 "Say Goodbye To Daisy Miller"

36. -Jess and Dean's animosity finally comes to a head...all over Kyle's house (Bonus: Dave and Young Chiu confrontation)..3.19 "Keg! Max!"

37. -Luke and Christopher fight amongst the Christmas decorations..7.10, "Merry Fisticuffs"

38.-Luke and Dean fight over the bop it...5.04 "Tippecanoe and Taylor too"

40.-Rory stands up for Jess (and herself) post car accident to Lorelai and Emily at Richard's launch party ("I’m sick of this. I’m sick of everyone treating me like I’m some kind of mindless idiot being led around by a guy....I was just as responsible ..")..2.20 "Help Wanted"

41. The fight that killed Grannie - when Richard lambasted his mother when Trix told Lorelai how she had to bail out Richard early in his career.

42.Emily and Lorelai argue during high tea and Trix tales them to task for it.

43. LorelaI and Jess argue when Lorelai confronts Jess about taking Rory's bracelet.  "Oh, don’t whatever me, you little jerk. You let Rory run around completely panicked, thinking she lost her boyfriend’s bracelet. She was miserable, do you understand that?"  (Lost and Found)

44. Luke and Jess argue about Jess telling Shane to go in the closet and Jess basically calls Luke Lorelai's lap dog.   "I’m not playing Golden Retriever, hoping one day she’ll turn around and fall in my arms. If she doesn’t wanna be with me, then fine." (One Gots Class and the Other One Dye)

45. Jess is frustrated about saying the Pledge in seven different languages. Luke gets frustrated and pushes him in the lake.   "Look, what exactly do you want from me? You bring me here to this place, you put me in a school that says the Pledge of Allegiance in six different languages, two of which I've never heard of before. You take me away from my home, my friends, and now you want what from me?" (Nick and Nora)

46. Lorelai and Richard get into it about Jason after Richard goes back to Floyd's company. "I am tired of this, Lorelai. You've shown absolutely no concern about what happens to me, what happens to your mother. The only thing you care about is what happens to your boyfriend. And the worst part of it... is that I never expected you to act any differently." (Afterboom)

47. Luke takes Lorelai to task when he finds his boat in her garage.  " You thought about you and how you'd feel. You didn't think about me or the fact that I said I wanted to get rid of this damn boat. I mean I said it, Lorelai. I said it, you heard it and you ignored it." (But Not as Cute as Pushkin)

Edited by lulu1960

Well, I think we can cut it down by at least one, as 21 and 30 are the exact same moment! Clearly a memorable one! I'll double check to see if there are any of the same scene.

Oh, also 19 and 28

And 20/29.

I also see my top two favourite fights and I know I'll be sad if/when neither of them make it to the top three.

Edited by Lady Calypso

Are we ready to start voting now?  I looked over them again just now and I *think* everything is a unique scene.

If so -

2 - Because I truly hate Lorelai in that scene.

7 - Because it was so freaking stupid and out-of-character.

43 - See explanation for #2.  Uggggh.

47 - Because it breaks my heart.

Everyone vote away!

This is going to be hard. Do I vote because the fight makes me sad? Do I vote because the fight annoys me? 

3- Because I have no clue what this scene is.

5- Because Logan's dad is a piece of work. 

32- Because Christopher is Christopher

38- Because Luke was so immature 

Edited by lulu1960

16-because the whole Francie debacle is one of the few things on GG that truly annoys me.

19- because it's similar to 18, and 18 is more memorable to me.

26-because the whole Nicole debacle is another one of the few things on GG that truly annoys me.

37-because something about this just didn't sit right with me.

8 hours ago, lulu1960 said:

3- Because I have no clue what this scene is.

Ha!  I've been trying to figure that out too.  I'm thinking maybe it's when Lorelai kept hanging up on Emily after the events of WBB but then when Richard called she spoke to him?  I really don't know.

3 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Ha!  I've been trying to figure that out too.  I'm thinking maybe it's when Lorelai kept hanging up on Emily after the events of WBB but then when Richard called she spoke to him?  I really don't know.

Yeah, that was it! I remember because I know Lorelai was still pissed about the events of WBB but the next episode, she seemed normal until Emily started calling her, as if nothing was wrong and Lorelai kept shutting her down. And then Richard got on the phone, Lorelai spoke with him and then Lorelai hung up after Emily started chiming in. It was a really sad yet somewhat humorous scene.

I won't choose 2 yet because as much as I hated Lorelai for her hypocrisy, it was a really good scene still for me that led to their first huge fight.

I guess I'll be choosing based on scenes that worked well, or the ones that I actually remember.

7-I don't really remember this scene

14- Because I do NOT remember this scene at all

26- Didn't get the Nicole/Luke thing at all

36- Because Dean somehow still ended up the better person in this situation???

7 was after Rory goes golfing with Richard and she and Richard really connect, Lorelai says golf should get them out of FND and Rory says no, it's okay, I want to go to FND, then Babbette needs some cooking oil and a shoehorn.  After Babbette leaves, Lorelai gets snippy about the sweater Rory is wearing and there they go.  

7, 26, and 36 are eliminated. There were too many with the same amount of votes for the 4th spot so let's just more on. 

Also that's for clearing up what 3 was.

1. Lorelai and Rory argue about Rory wavering on going to Chilton after she's met Dean (Pilot)

2. Lorelai's "go to hell" at Luke b/c of Jess and the accident.   Luke & Lorelai fight about Jess driving Rory's car and getting into an accident. (Teach Me Tonight)

3. Lorelai emotionlessly hanging up on Emily when she was talking to Sookie about the leftover risotto

4. Luke's head-cocking "Oh, don't tease" when Lorelai promises not to opine to him ever again.  Luke & Lorelai argue about Jess "that kid is way more screwed up than you think he is" (N&N, S&N)

5. The yelling match between Daddy H. and Logan when the crew was vacationing at Martha's Vineyard

6. Rory giving Emily the cold shoulder at the post second honeymoon Friday dinner and their exchange when Rory gets up to leave early.

8. The Emily/Lorelai/Rory three way fight after Rory's Dance (Emily attacks Lorelai "She's going to get pregnant!", Lorelai kicks her out, then turns on Rory when she gets home "You're going on the pill!") ..1.09 ,"Rory's Dance."

9. Luke and Jess fight after Luke finds out that Jess isn't graduating. "Then you gotta go"..3.20, "Say Goodnight Gracie"

10 Christopher ambushes Lorelai at FND and has an emotional confrontation with both she and Rory, then is kicked out by Emily...3.02, "Haunted Leg"

11. Lorelai and Richard have a heated discussion about why Richard stood up for her to Straub :"Yes it does matter why I did it, it matters greatly!"..1.15, "Christopher Returns."

12. Emily's smiley confrontation with Shira Huntzburger after she discovers the truth about how Rory has been treated..6.05, "We've Got Magic To Do.

13.  Lorelai's discussion with her parents when they let Rory move in. (The Season 5 finale)

14. Secrets and Loans - Rory vs Lorelai

15. "Look at all the pretty candy!" Luke and Taylor battling it out in the ice cream store.

16. Paris and Rory fencing and fighting at the same time.

17. "Michel, the phone." ... "Do you know who's really nice to talk to? The people at the unemployment agency."

18. Sookie and Jackson arguing over strawberries and blueberries.

19. Jackson brought pea tendrils instead of Brussel sprouts and Sookie flips.  (ISS)

20. Lorelai confronts Emily about not being happy for her when she announces she's engaged to Max.  (H&V)

21. Rory announces she's dropping out of Yale, Lorelai reacts badly.  (AHINAH)

23. The blonde wig brigade confront Lorelai over the way she handled the kids' questions about her teenage pregnancy (OHCATOOD)

24. Lorelai and Sookie about opening an inn (Lorelai is secretly upset about Mia selling and takes it out on Sookie) - The Inns and Outs of Inns

25. Paris and Doyle fight about breaking up so she can decide which school to attend - It's just like Riding a Bike. 

27.Paris and Janet's fight during the roommate meeting - The Incredible Sinking Lorelais" 

31. Christopher Returns - in the kitchen when he asks Lorelai to marry him.

32. It Should Have Been Lorelai - Christopher lays into Lorelai in front of everyone at Luke's.

33. Lazy Hazy Crazy Days - The elder Gilmores explode when Lorelai tells them that she and Christopher are not together.

34. Sookie and Jackson fight over Sookie's attempts to redecorate their house in a more "masculine" fashion (" It's terrifying! swear I’m gonna come out in the middle of the night for a drink of water, turn around, hit the floor and play dead!)...3.01 " Lazy Hazy Crazy"

35.Emily and Richard fight as she decides to leave for Europe ("Only prostitutes have 2 glasses of wine at lunch!"; "Well then buy me a boa and drive me to Reno because I am open for business!")..5.01 "Say Goodbye To Daisy Miller"

37. -Luke and Christopher fight amongst the Christmas decorations..7.10, "Merry Fisticuffs"

38.-Luke and Dean fight over the bop it...5.04 "Tippecanoe and Taylor too"

40.-Rory stands up for Jess (and herself) post car accident to Lorelai and Emily at Richard's launch party ("I’m sick of this. I’m sick of everyone treating me like I’m some kind of mindless idiot being led around by a guy....I was just as responsible ..")..2.20 "Help Wanted"

41. The fight that killed Grannie - when Richard lambasted his mother when Trix told Lorelai how she had to bail out Richard early in his career.

42.Emily and Lorelai argue during high tea and Trix tales them to task for it.

43. LorelaI and Jess argue when Lorelai confronts Jess about taking Rory's bracelet.  "Oh, don’t whatever me, you little jerk. You let Rory run around completely panicked, thinking she lost her boyfriend’s bracelet. She was miserable, do you understand that?"  (Lost and Found)

44. Luke and Jess argue about Jess telling Shane to go in the closet and Jess basically calls Luke Lorelai's lap dog.   "I’m not playing Golden Retriever, hoping one day she’ll turn around and fall in my arms. If she doesn’t wanna be with me, then fine." (One Gots Class and the Other One Dye)

45. Jess is frustrated about saying the Pledge in seven different languages. Luke gets frustrated and pushes him in the lake.   "Look, what exactly do you want from me? You bring me here to this place, you put me in a school that says the Pledge of Allegiance in six different languages, two of which I've never heard of before. You take me away from my home, my friends, and now you want what from me?" (Nick and Nora)

46. Lorelai and Richard get into it about Jason after Richard goes back to Floyd's company. "I am tired of this, Lorelai. You've shown absolutely no concern about what happens to me, what happens to your mother. The only thing you care about is what happens to your boyfriend. And the worst part of it... is that I never expected you to act any differently." (Afterboom)

47. Luke takes Lorelai to task when he finds his boat in her garage.  " You thought about you and how you'd feel. You didn't think about me or the fact that I said I wanted to get rid of this damn boat. I mean I said it, Lorelai. I said it, you heard it and you ignored it." (But Not as Cute as Pushkin)

2, 43, 47 are all still there so they still get my vote LOL.

So many of these just hurt my heart!  I either want to slap somebody or hug them.  Sometimes both.  I guess I'll go with 5.  I really felt badly for Logan there.  Not that he didn't have it coming to a certain extent, but....  :(

So to put it all together -

5, 14, 19, 32

2 hours ago, 33kaitykaity said:

7 was after Rory goes golfing with Richard and she and Richard really connect, Lorelai says golf should get them out of FND and Rory says no, it's okay, I want to go to FND, then Babbette needs some cooking oil and a shoehorn.  After Babbette leaves, Lorelai gets snippy about the sweater Rory is wearing and there they go.  

Thanks for the explanation! That cleared things up!

• Love 2