Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

5 - I just don't think Mrs. Kim would still be at the point she would try to make Lane wear a wedding dress with freaking pants attached to it. Silly plotline.

22 - Babette's so sweet and funny, even if she is shrieky.

28 - I like that Lorelai was able to set aside her own personal feelings to "be there" for Sherry. Otherwise, meh.

Still three!

Favorite Parent-to-Parent Moments

1. Sookie freaks out about being days past her due date, Lorelai pulls out Rory's Baby Box to calm her down. "Rory's first jumper." "Bananarama?" "I made it out of one of my t-shirts. It was the first thing I ever made her - ever made, ever. It was post-Gilmore economy. Look how tiny." "Tiny." "She was the most beautiful pink all over. She even smelled pink. That sounds weird. I can't describe it - that little, pink, baby smell. The first time her eyes focused on me and her little fingers reached out. . .I was someone new. She had me." (Festival of Living Art)

2. Lorelai gives Mrs. Kim some unsolicited but well-meaning advice about Lane sneaking to the movies with Todd, Rory, and Dean. "I just think sometimes if I’d had a little more space or someone to listen to me, things might have turned out different. Now I got lucky, because having Rory -- totally the best thing that could have happened. But let’s be honest, I certainly don’t want Rory to turn out like me." "I don’t want Lane to turn out like you either." "Now I believe that’s the first thing that you and I have ever agreed on." (Double Date)

3. Sookie comes to Lorelai for advice about Four in Four, but Jackson gets upset for Lorelai being involved in the discussion. "Jackson, I didn’t mean to get involved in any of this." "No? Telling Sookie that she needs to immediately inform me that four in four is crazy?" "Aw, Sookie." "Yeah, it did come out something like that." (They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?)

4. Rory calls Lorelai to get advice about Lane sneaking out for the gig at CBGB's. Lorelai immediately calls Mrs. Kim. "Hello, Mrs. Kim, it's Lorelai Gilmore. I am so sorry to be calling so late and, um, I don't know if you know this or not, but Lane isn't there." "Where is she?" "Well, she went out tonight, and I think she was just scared to tell you about it, but she is fine. She's with Rory at Yale and they're safe and they promise to stay put." (In the Clamor and the Clangor)

6. Emily finds out how Rory was treated at the family dinner at the Huntzbergers and unloads on Shira. "Frankly, Emily, there's your money, then there's our money." "Oh?" "And our family has a lot of responsibilities that come with that. An image to maintain." "Ah, yes! Well let me tell you this, Shira. We are just as good as you are. You don't think Rory is good enough for your son, as if we don't know Logan's reputation. We do. But he is welcome in our home anytime, and you should extend the same courtesy to Rory." "Emily..." "Now let's talk about your money. You were a two-bit gold digger, fresh off the bus from Hicksville when you met Mitchum at whatever bar you happened to stumble into. And what made Mitchum decide to choose you to marry amongst the pack of women he was bedding at the time, I'll never know. But hats off to you for bagging him. He's still a playboy, you know? Well, of course you know. That would explain why your weight goes up and down thirty pounds every other month. But that's your cross to bear. But these are ugly realities. No one needs to talk about them. Those kids are staying together for as long as they like. You won't stop them. Now, enjoy the event." (We've Got Magic to Do)

7. Richard confronts Mitchum about Rory's internship at the paper. "Mitchum, just out of curiosity, what happened with all of that?" "All of what?" "Uh, that paper of yours in Stanford. Something apparently got blown out of proportion. There was some misunderstanding." "Oh, it was nothing much. She's a great kid." "She is. And a great journalist. I've read things she's written. She's a talent." "Maybe." "What do you mean 'maybe'?" (We've Got Magic to Do)

8. Mrs. Kim freaks out after finding out Lane is sharing an apartment with Zach and Brian and comes to Lorelai for advice. "I've met those boys. They're innocent. As innocent as if she was living with two girls. So think of them that way." "What way?" "Think of them as girls." "Girls?" "Girls." "I don't like girls either." "Well, you like them better than boys." "True." (Last Week Fights, This Week Tights)

9. Luke is proud of himself for figuring out the secret of parenting. "You visualize the reality you want...." "You visualize the reality you want." "....And then if necessary, you lie to bring it about." "That is so much worse than I was expecting." (Bracebridge Dinner)

11. Lorelai and Luke ease back into a friendship and discuss Luke's upcoming boat trip with April. "April says she's very excited?" "Very excited." "Yeah, she said she's very excited, but if I were you, I would plan a couple nights at a hotel so she can wash her hair and order room service. That's what I would do." "Okay." "Okay, and if you're heading up the coast, you have to spend as much time as possible on the southern coast of Maine." "Yeah?" "And you have to go to Barnacle Billy's." "Barnacle Billy's?" "They have the best lobster you’ve ever had and you sit on the deck, look at the view -- you never want to leave." "I'll check it out." (Lorelai? Lorelai?)

12. Lorelai grills Luke about Jess coming to live with him, and offers advice....of sorts. "Yeah, wow, that's…I'm sorry, what are you doing?" "I'm blowing this up." "What is it?" "It's a bed." "A bed?" "For Jess." "Jess?" "Jess, my nephew." "Luke, um, that's not a bed, that's a raft, which is fine if you're gonna build a moat around the diner, but…" "It's fine." "Luke, the kid needs a bed. If you want to get him something inflatable, make it a blonde." (Nick & Nora, Sid & Nancy)

13. Lorelai confides in Luke about parenting a college-aged Rory. "I just feel like I need to be really careful what I say." "Oh, come on. That’s ridiculous." "Well, she’s not at home anymore. She’s on her own." "Doesn’t matter." "It matters a little. You know, there have been very few times in our relationship when I ever played the ‘mom card’. But I always had it there in my back pocket. And when I used it she had to hear it and take it, ‘cause she lived here. And even if she didn’t like it or even if she got mad, the worst that would happen is she would run into her room and slam the door and blast the Jam. But then in the morning, I controlled the bathroom, and the, and the Pop-tarts, and she had to deal with me. And eventually we’d make up and it was over. But now – " "Nothing’s different." "Of course it is. It’s different. She’s on her own. She’s making her own decisions. My ‘mom card’ is looking a little flimsier, and I don’t know how much to say to her. If she doesn’t want to hear it, she doesn’t have to take it. She doesn’t have to call, or come home." "She’ll call. She’ll come home." (Pulp Friction)

17. Emily and Lorelai try to have a relaxing time at the spa. Emily wants to know why she and Lorelai don't have a relationship the way Lorelai and Rory do. "Rory and I are best friends, Mom. We are best friends first and mother and daughter second, and you and I are mother and daughter....always." "I wasn’t taught to be best friends with my daughter." "I know." "I was taught to be a role model for my daughter." "I know that, too." "I did what I thought was right. I did what I thought I had to do to protect you, and because of this we have no relationship." (There's the Rub)

18. Lorelai goes to her parents for help regarding Rory dropping out of Yale. "Rory’s quitting Yale." "What? What are you talking about?" "What do you mean, Rory’s quitting Yale? Why would you joke about something like that?" "What makes you think I’m joking?" "Because Rory would never quit Yale! This must be one of your bits. You scare us with something horrible, like Rory’s quitting college, and then after we have a heart attack, you tell us you were just kidding. You’re having a sex change operation." (A House is Not a Home)

19. Luke has a plan for getting Rory back into Yale. "Okay, I’m sorry. I have to jump in here. Uh, I know you think you have this thing handled, but I can help. First off, we call Yale and we tell them something like, uh, Rory had a chemical imbalance and she was mentally out of her mind when she told them she was dropping out. And then we get her out of your parents house whatever way we can. We lock her up in her room with you, because you can talk anybody into anything. And if worse comes to worst, we will drive her to school every day and we will follow her to class and camp out there to make sure she goes. I’ll take morning classes, you take afternoon classes, or the other way around, if it works out better for your schedule. And I know there’s a few kinks to work out, the kidnapping thing might be a little problematic but either way, she is not quitting school. This was her dream. I am not going to let this happen." (A House is Not a Home)

21. Luke talks Lorelai out of killing Dean after she finds out he kissed Rory. "What are you thinking, spying on that kid like that?" "I don't know. I just wanted to see him. I mean I've seen him already but that was before he was -- " "Rory's boyfriend?" "Shush, you." "She's growing up." "I know." "There's nothing you can do about that." "OK, Mr. Reality, break into somebody's else's house." "Sorry." "Why didn't she tell me?" "What?" "Why didn't Rory tell me about the kiss?" "Maybe she didn't know you'd take it so well." (Kiss and Tell)

23. Luke comes over to warn Lorelai that Jess is gone before Rory finds out. "Luke?" "I failed him." "You did not fail him. You supported him, you defended him, you gave him a chance, and if he chose not to take it, there's nothing more you could do." "Yeah. Well, I should go." "Do you have any idea where he went?" "Yeah, I got a pretty good idea." (Here Comes the Son)

24. Luke confronts Jimmy. "Luke, give me a break." "Give you a break? I am trying to keep this kid from falling off the face of the Earth. I'm trying to get him through school. I'm trying to give him a future. And I gotta be totally honest with you, Jimmy - I am not doing too well." "No?" "No, and the last thing he needs is a special appearance by his father who can't be here for any good reason." "There's no evil plan here. I have a job, a life. I just thought I'd come and..." "What? Say hello, see if he looks like you? Then what?" "Well..." "What?" "I don't know!" (Say Goodnight, Gracie)

25. Lorelai lets Luke in on the secret of Kid Code. "Uh, listen, I just want you to know that I had a little talk with Jess earlier." "You did?" "Yes, I did, and I really laid down the rules concerning him and Rory. Trust me, he now knows that I am going to be watching them every second they are together." "Oh, good." "Yup." "You know they’re together now." "What?" "Oh yeah. ‘I have to get a part for my car’, ‘I’m going to go study’ – that’s kid code for ‘Meet me at the previously agreed upon location far away from my clueless uncle.’" "You’re kidding me, right? You don’t really think that. . .damn, they are! They’re together. They used the kid code and now they’re together!" (Let the Games Begin)

26. Lorelai defends herself from the Angry Mom Brigade after the business success talk goes awry. "Now, hold on. You have no right to judge me. All I said was that for my particular circumstances things worked out okay. I advocated nothing to them. You’re all acting like I walked into that room tossing condoms in the air." "You might as well have." "Fine, next time I will. I’ll bring a banana and we’ll have a little show and tell. How ‘bout that?" "What kind of mother are you?" "The kind that doesn’t gloss over things just because they’re a little uncomfortable." (One's Got Class and the Other One Dyes)

29. Luke admits he's in over his head with Jess. "But me, raising a kid? I don't even like kids. They're always sticky, you know, like they've got jam on their hands. Even if there's no jam in the house, somehow they've always got jam on their hands. I'm not the right guy to deal with that. I have no patience for jam hands." "Luke, slow down. First of all, Jess is seventeen, so I think he's probably past the jam hands stage by now. And second of all, you can do this. If you want to, you are totally capable. But you can't just buy a bed and some sheets and expect the rest to take care of itself." (Nick & Nora, Sid & Nancy)

30. Lorelai reminds Sookie of all the good stuff about having a baby when Sookie finds out she's pregnant again. "For one thing, they're pretty cute." "Well, but cute is not gonna help me sleep through the night." "They smell great -- that newborn smell I mean, you can't beat that, right?" "The smell is pretty good." "How about, you know, when you give them their first bath? I remember when I gave Rory her first bath, she looked up at me like, 'what the hell is going on?' And I kept saying, 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.'" "You know Davey loved his first one. Martha screamed bloody murder. Oh, my g-d, all the screaming." "Yeah, yeah, yeah, but how about the first time when they're crying and crying, and you go in to pick them up, and then they stop crying because they recognize you?" "That's pretty cool." "Yeah." "I'm not gonna sleep, though." (To Whom it May Concern)

13 - Not a fave.

11 - Meh.

12 - I appreciate that she tried to give him actual advice, I just wish she weren't so condescending all the time about how fabulous a parent she was.

Still three.

1. Sookie freaks out about being days past her due date, Lorelai pulls out Rory's Baby Box to calm her down. "Rory's first jumper." "Bananarama?" "I made it out of one of my t-shirts. It was the first thing I ever made her - ever made, ever. It was post-Gilmore economy. Look how tiny." "Tiny." "She was the most beautiful pink all over. She even smelled pink. That sounds weird. I can't describe it - that little, pink, baby smell. The first time her eyes focused on me and her little fingers reached out. . .I was someone new. She had me." (Festival of Living Art)

2. Lorelai gives Mrs. Kim some unsolicited but well-meaning advice about Lane sneaking to the movies with Todd, Rory, and Dean. "I just think sometimes if I’d had a little more space or someone to listen to me, things might have turned out different. Now I got lucky, because having Rory -- totally the best thing that could have happened. But let’s be honest, I certainly don’t want Rory to turn out like me." "I don’t want Lane to turn out like you either." "Now I believe that’s the first thing that you and I have ever agreed on." (Double Date)

3. Sookie comes to Lorelai for advice about Four in Four, but Jackson gets upset for Lorelai being involved in the discussion. "Jackson, I didn’t mean to get involved in any of this." "No? Telling Sookie that she needs to immediately inform me that four in four is crazy?" "Aw, Sookie." "Yeah, it did come out something like that." (They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?)

4. Rory calls Lorelai to get advice about Lane sneaking out for the gig at CBGB's. Lorelai immediately calls Mrs. Kim. "Hello, Mrs. Kim, it's Lorelai Gilmore. I am so sorry to be calling so late and, um, I don't know if you know this or not, but Lane isn't there." "Where is she?" "Well, she went out tonight, and I think she was just scared to tell you about it, but she is fine. She's with Rory at Yale and they're safe and they promise to stay put." (In the Clamor and the Clangor)

6. Emily finds out how Rory was treated at the family dinner at the Huntzbergers and unloads on Shira. "Frankly, Emily, there's your money, then there's our money." "Oh?" "And our family has a lot of responsibilities that come with that. An image to maintain." "Ah, yes! Well let me tell you this, Shira. We are just as good as you are. You don't think Rory is good enough for your son, as if we don't know Logan's reputation. We do. But he is welcome in our home anytime, and you should extend the same courtesy to Rory." "Emily..." "Now let's talk about your money. You were a two-bit gold digger, fresh off the bus from Hicksville when you met Mitchum at whatever bar you happened to stumble into. And what made Mitchum decide to choose you to marry amongst the pack of women he was bedding at the time, I'll never know. But hats off to you for bagging him. He's still a playboy, you know? Well, of course you know. That would explain why your weight goes up and down thirty pounds every other month. But that's your cross to bear. But these are ugly realities. No one needs to talk about them. Those kids are staying together for as long as they like. You won't stop them. Now, enjoy the event." (We've Got Magic to Do)

7. Richard confronts Mitchum about Rory's internship at the paper. "Mitchum, just out of curiosity, what happened with all of that?" "All of what?" "Uh, that paper of yours in Stanford. Something apparently got blown out of proportion. There was some misunderstanding." "Oh, it was nothing much. She's a great kid." "She is. And a great journalist. I've read things she's written. She's a talent." "Maybe." "What do you mean 'maybe'?" (We've Got Magic to Do)

8. Mrs. Kim freaks out after finding out Lane is sharing an apartment with Zach and Brian and comes to Lorelai for advice. "I've met those boys. They're innocent. As innocent as if she was living with two girls. So think of them that way." "What way?" "Think of them as girls." "Girls?" "Girls." "I don't like girls either." "Well, you like them better than boys." "True." (Last Week Fights, This Week Tights)

9. Luke is proud of himself for figuring out the secret of parenting. "You visualize the reality you want...." "You visualize the reality you want." "....And then if necessary, you lie to bring it about." "That is so much worse than I was expecting." (Bracebridge Dinner)

17. Emily and Lorelai try to have a relaxing time at the spa. Emily wants to know why she and Lorelai don't have a relationship the way Lorelai and Rory do. "Rory and I are best friends, Mom. We are best friends first and mother and daughter second, and you and I are mother and daughter....always." "I wasn’t taught to be best friends with my daughter." "I know." "I was taught to be a role model for my daughter." "I know that, too." "I did what I thought was right. I did what I thought I had to do to protect you, and because of this we have no relationship." (There's the Rub)

18. Lorelai goes to her parents for help regarding Rory dropping out of Yale. "Rory’s quitting Yale." "What? What are you talking about?" "What do you mean, Rory’s quitting Yale? Why would you joke about something like that?" "What makes you think I’m joking?" "Because Rory would never quit Yale! This must be one of your bits. You scare us with something horrible, like Rory’s quitting college, and then after we have a heart attack, you tell us you were just kidding. You’re having a sex change operation." (A House is Not a Home)

19. Luke has a plan for getting Rory back into Yale. "Okay, I’m sorry. I have to jump in here. Uh, I know you think you have this thing handled, but I can help. First off, we call Yale and we tell them something like, uh, Rory had a chemical imbalance and she was mentally out of her mind when she told them she was dropping out. And then we get her out of your parents house whatever way we can. We lock her up in her room with you, because you can talk anybody into anything. And if worse comes to worst, we will drive her to school every day and we will follow her to class and camp out there to make sure she goes. I’ll take morning classes, you take afternoon classes, or the other way around, if it works out better for your schedule. And I know there’s a few kinks to work out, the kidnapping thing might be a little problematic but either way, she is not quitting school. This was her dream. I am not going to let this happen." (A House is Not a Home)

21. Luke talks Lorelai out of killing Dean after she finds out he kissed Rory. "What are you thinking, spying on that kid like that?" "I don't know. I just wanted to see him. I mean I've seen him already but that was before he was -- " "Rory's boyfriend?" "Shush, you." "She's growing up." "I know." "There's nothing you can do about that." "OK, Mr. Reality, break into somebody's else's house." "Sorry." "Why didn't she tell me?" "What?" "Why didn't Rory tell me about the kiss?" "Maybe she didn't know you'd take it so well." (Kiss and Tell)

23. Luke comes over to warn Lorelai that Jess is gone before Rory finds out. "Luke?" "I failed him." "You did not fail him. You supported him, you defended him, you gave him a chance, and if he chose not to take it, there's nothing more you could do." "Yeah. Well, I should go." "Do you have any idea where he went?" "Yeah, I got a pretty good idea." (Here Comes the Son)

24. Luke confronts Jimmy. "Luke, give me a break." "Give you a break? I am trying to keep this kid from falling off the face of the Earth. I'm trying to get him through school. I'm trying to give him a future. And I gotta be totally honest with you, Jimmy - I am not doing too well." "No?" "No, and the last thing he needs is a special appearance by his father who can't be here for any good reason." "There's no evil plan here. I have a job, a life. I just thought I'd come and..." "What? Say hello, see if he looks like you? Then what?" "Well..." "What?" "I don't know!" (Say Goodnight, Gracie)

25. Lorelai lets Luke in on the secret of Kid Code. "Uh, listen, I just want you to know that I had a little talk with Jess earlier." "You did?" "Yes, I did, and I really laid down the rules concerning him and Rory. Trust me, he now knows that I am going to be watching them every second they are together." "Oh, good." "Yup." "You know they’re together now." "What?" "Oh yeah. ‘I have to get a part for my car’, ‘I’m going to go study’ – that’s kid code for ‘Meet me at the previously agreed upon location far away from my clueless uncle.’" "You’re kidding me, right? You don’t really think that. . .damn, they are! They’re together. They used the kid code and now they’re together!" (Let the Games Begin)

26. Lorelai defends herself from the Angry Mom Brigade after the business success talk goes awry. "Now, hold on. You have no right to judge me. All I said was that for my particular circumstances things worked out okay. I advocated nothing to them. You’re all acting like I walked into that room tossing condoms in the air." "You might as well have." "Fine, next time I will. I’ll bring a banana and we’ll have a little show and tell. How ‘bout that?" "What kind of mother are you?" "The kind that doesn’t gloss over things just because they’re a little uncomfortable." (One's Got Class and the Other One Dyes)

29. Luke admits he's in over his head with Jess. "But me, raising a kid? I don't even like kids. They're always sticky, you know, like they've got jam on their hands. Even if there's no jam in the house, somehow they've always got jam on their hands. I'm not the right guy to deal with that. I have no patience for jam hands." "Luke, slow down. First of all, Jess is seventeen, so I think he's probably past the jam hands stage by now. And second of all, you can do this. If you want to, you are totally capable. But you can't just buy a bed and some sheets and expect the rest to take care of itself." (Nick & Nora, Sid & Nancy)

30. Lorelai reminds Sookie of all the good stuff about having a baby when Sookie finds out she's pregnant again. "For one thing, they're pretty cute." "Well, but cute is not gonna help me sleep through the night." "They smell great -- that newborn smell I mean, you can't beat that, right?" "The smell is pretty good." "How about, you know, when you give them their first bath? I remember when I gave Rory her first bath, she looked up at me like, 'what the hell is going on?' And I kept saying, 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.'" "You know Davey loved his first one. Martha screamed bloody murder. Oh, my g-d, all the screaming." "Yeah, yeah, yeah, but how about the first time when they're crying and crying, and you go in to pick them up, and then they stop crying because they recognize you?" "That's pretty cool." "Yeah." "I'm not gonna sleep, though." (To Whom it May Concern)

21 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Also 30 - because I kind of hate the Sookie-got-pregnant-by-mistake storyline. 

I more than 'kind of' hate it. I know MM was pregnant IRL but come on. Jackson lied about getting the forced vasectomy that Sookie sprang on him after Martha's birth? These characters deserve better than that bullsh!t, ASP. A failed vasectomy is not that uncommon, if you have to go there at all. Thank goodness this one is out this round!

Also out -

4 - Everything about this scene was so well done, IMO. Poor Lane. Poor Mrs. Kim.

24 - Too lazy to remind myself of the actor's name, but I LOVE how Jimmy had so many of Jess's mannerisms, even though according to this version of the storyline they hadn't been around each other since Jess was born. Such a nice touch.

Voting against just two now.

18 - I hate it, thanks.

3 - MM's delivery of '...but I think he took it as Oh! Kay!' always cracks me up. Otherwise, silly mini storyline.

Voting against two.

2 - I really, really love the consistency throughout the show of Mrs. Kim taking parenting advice to heart, even if she didn't agree with it or come to the same conclusion in the end. She at least truly considered everything.

21 - Ah, the good old days when Lorelai hated Dean.

Still two!

9 - LOLOL Luke was so proud of himself, it cracks me up. And I do love that Jess (when he told Rory about it later) seemed to appreciate the effort Luke was making and played along even though he saw right through it. The respect was almost always there, IMO, even when Jess was outwardly playing the angry, rebellious teen.

26 - I just cannot with those moms. So stupid.

Still two.

1 - Aww. Love this scene.

7 - Aww. Love this scene. (Just kidding, heh. Mitchum was NOT wrong, though.)

Last time voting for two!

6 - Okay scene, not one of my favorites.

25 - Funny, but otherwise meh.

NOW we're voting against just one. *grin*

Well I left this one open for a while in the hopes that someone else would step in and cast the deciding vote so I didn't have to, but I guess that's not going to happen LOL.

Arrrrghhh.......... 19, under protest. I do love how Luke immediately jumped into problem solving mode, even though he generally doesn't like to step into Lorelai's parenting territory, but I love the other two choices just a little bit more.

17 - I love this scene because it's one of the rare moments we really see Emily being vulnerable towards Lorelai, and that she raised Lorelai the way she did because she genuinely believed that was how a good mother raised her children.

23 - Defeated Luke makes me so sad.

Time to vote FOR our winner!

8 to win! Mrs. Kim is trying sooo hard! She's come such a long way. I love her in this moment. And I love that she and Lorelai can come together, even though their parenting styles are so different. 

P.S. I was deadly sick the other night, didn't sleep a wink, and was binging GG. Somewhere in the middle of the night (I may have been slightly delirious), I had the idea to have "phone call moments" be our next theme. Have we done that one before???

• Love 1