Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Rule #91: Run Toward What Scares You

As Abby finishes her romance novel, she questions the future of her relationship with Mike; Barbara has second thoughts about quitting SheShe; Phoebe and JD's marriage faces a challenge during a debauched getaway at Gemma's mansion.

Wow, no posts. Nobody much watching this. Guess it's a good thing there's only one season left.

I didn't hate last night's episode. Nobody truly bugged me, except when they all took the time and effort and money to dress up in faux-romance-novel-genre gear just to listen to Abby read her dumb book aloud in her own house. Abby's was the worst, in the stupid little baseball outfit--it was very much something Carrie Bradshaw would have worn, tho Carrie would have worn it to, like, brunch and movie. And tho I found it stupid, if I looked like Delia did in that shiny patent bondage dress, I'd wear it to the supermarket. and on a shallow, petty note, since I just complimented her, I just found out that Necar Zadegan is only 34, which: wtf? I would have absolutely thought she and Lisa E and Alanna U were all about the same age, tho there are several years disparity between each. (34, 50 and 41, respectively.) Beau Garrett I see as early thirties, she's still glowy and pink cheeked, but I would have absolutely assumed Delia was mid to late forties. oh well. i'm a bitch.

I didn't really get Abby breaking up with Coach, but then again, it was  a pretty mature move, probably, and I liked that it wasn't him she was running to in the end. But 'lady parts' is an absolutely terrible name for a website or a 'zine or whatever it is they're going for.

So Jo and Delia's gross bald boss/lover? That should work out well.

Phoebe and JD were a mess. I totally got her seething uneasy jealousy at the supposedly impromptu sex party (which, no judgment, do whatever you want, but if you're hosting such a party, probably best to let ALL guests in on it beforehand) , but she's so determined to stay in that world that I think she's about to sacrifice her marriage for it.

• Love 1

Hey, I'm still watching and enjoying it! I like that, in last episode, every character had to face their shit, and that it triggered some changes this episode for most of them. The saddest is Phoebe, torn between what she wants and what she thinks she should want and kind of does want but is the opposite of what/who she wants wants. Makes sense? 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, luna1122 said:

And though I found it stupid, if I looked like Delia did in that shiny patent bondage dress, I'd wear it to the supermarket.

Preach.

6 hours ago, gesundheit said:

Retta really is a godsend for this show.

She really is.  I'm pretty much watching just for her at this point.  Though I have to admit, before Abby started talking about her outfit for the at-home book reading (seriously?) I was sitting there thinking "Oh my god, whatever malady the others suffer that causes them to dress inappropriately most of the time?  It finally got to Barbara.  Poor Barbara."  I was kind of relieved that it was a costume party.  A sad costume party for 4 people, but still.

Dollars to donuts Abby's daughter Lilly is going to wind up pregnant next season.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Lovecat said:

A sad costume party for 4 people, but still.

That scene was the most rediculous of all the rediculous scenes on this show! Every time one of them walked through the door, they all jumped around and screamed like idiots. How old are these women supposed to be? I hate them all. Including Barbara. She's not like them, she has nothing in common with any of them. They are neurotic, she is not, and I'n getting tired of her voice of reason schtick. 

I'm still watching because I'm hoping the show comes back to the grittier, more adult themes instead of goofy costumes and hook-ups I don't care about. I loved some of the smaller things - Jake making the school film, Lyla going out alone for gnocchi, Lisa Edelstein not constantly wearing an insane smile while acting like a speed freak. I don't blame the actors (frankly I give them credit for struggling through these scripts) b/c it seems like someone's handing down notes "Be more SATC!!" Someone with Phoebe's history is going to pout when she sees Gemma the Most Obvious Character Ever starting an orgy? I do see @NutMeg's point but I wish if they were bringing Phoebe back down that road they'd handle it somewhat differently - maybe make JD a less passive character? And Abby's cutting off the relationship with coach was pretty much lifted from a One Day at a Time multi-episode arc.

I will say that I loved the ending with Abby going to Barbara - unexpected, even though the web site name sucks. Delia moving forward with legal aid was a nice touch, and I'm curious to see what happens with Jo; I think they make her into a bit of a cartoon but I think the actor who plays Albert does a nice job.  And I'm looking forward to Will maybe calming Abby down.