Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Villain That's Become

20 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

After watching this last episode, I realized that the guy in the village at the end (he has the white stuff all over his face) is also the character that plays the wizard: Vincent.

According to IMDB, he’s played by Ólafur Darri Ólafsson.

11 hours ago, Mojeaux said:

According to IMDB, he’s played by Ólafur Darri Ólafsson.

I coincidentally have another browser tab open to this review of a different series he's in. Apparently he's a "heart-throb" in Iceland. :)

• Love 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, rainsmom said:

Sorry, can't get rid of the hidden contents. I am just replying to the snipped part.

Jane said that the masks were used to cover up a face that didn't age. Since the king we met was rather aged, my guess is that Langwidere was 20 when she died. She's hiding her face, because she should now appear to be 40.

She said she was a child when everything happened back then.  And the wizard confirmed that - because she said it to him and he was there too.

Edited by phoenics
On 2/28/2017 at 11:32 AM, nitrofishblue said:

After watching this last episode, I realized that the guy in the village at the end (he has the white stuff all over his face) is also the character that plays the wizard:

12 hours ago, Mojeaux said:

According to IMDB, {Ojo is] played by Ólafur Darri Ólafsson.

And Vincent D'Onofrio plays the Wizard.

On 2/28/2017 at 11:57 AM, milizard said:

Apparently, in this world, you need a lot more justification for killing a witch than killing a human. 

Witch <-- King <-- Everyone else

I can kind of see why killing a witch is a Big Thing -- Once they're dead, their spells can't be undone (except when they can...) and they might have been able to control or stop the Beast Forever.  Killing Superman or Captain America is a Bigger Deal than killing a villain's henchman, although, in theory, they should be the same.

On 2/25/2017 at 0:50 AM, KingOfHearts said:

I pretty much just hate Tip. She demands her own way, but at the same time she doesn't know what she wants. From what we saw of her time as a boy, she was being held captive by a crazy lady. She was desperate to escape. She doesn't seem to care about anyone but herself, yet she constantly accuses West of taking advantage of her. It was her in the first place who asked West to give her magic, and in this episode she blamed her for doing what what she asked for. Her change of heart at the end was abrupt and didn't make sense. Suddenly she cared? Okay? I feel like we're meant to be sympathetic to Tip just because it's a gender identity issue, regardless of how likable or unlikable her character is. When multitudes of innocent lives are at stake, her whining really isn't that valid.

Dorothy is equally selfish. I don't get her motivations. Her wanting to go home is not far-fetched, but she didn't mention Auntie Em or Uncle Henry once until seven episodes in. First, she wanted answers about her mother. After meeting the Wizard, she dropped that completely. She doesn't have Lucas or Sylvie any more, either, so what does she have? What's so important back home? I get that Oz is a terrible place and everything wants to kill her, but that's never verbalized. Other than with the Lucas angst, she's been a trooper. She was willing kill Glinda in cold blood, without questioning the Wizard's motives, just to meet her own needs. Now with the giants, she's igniting the very war she told Nahara she wanted to avoid. 

To some extent being a medical professional and trained for crisis, I'm not having so much of a problem if Dorothy comes across as unexpectedly resilient.  I should think she'd have to be unflappable in order to do her job back in Kansas.

As for Tip and Ozma, I think it's very difficult to be sensitive and present the issues behind this well, which I fear they won't do.  I guess to some extent if Tip's pathway is integrating and accepting that he could be both people, it wouldn't be so bad; but I don't know if the writers own the sensitivity for it.  You could, I guess, transfer "Ozma status" or power to someone else by magic but

Ozma is so all over the books and world as a touchstone... her name is synonymous with the very country.  I know Tip eventually gets his own life and to be dominant some times but Tip cannot just reject Ozma, imo.

• Love 1