Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Hostage Situation

AmandaPanda

I was so sure someone was going to make some comment about Natalee Holloway when they kept talking about Aruba, but then I realized they were all probably too young/self-absorbed to even remember or care about that happening.

• Love 5

Is going to Poughkeepsie a thing? I grew up a little bit north of there and it definitely was NOT the type of place you'd spend a weekend if you were a New Yorker looking for a nice, quaint getaway upstate. I haven't seen it in years though so maybe it's become the next Hudson or Phoenicia?

"Hannah, get out here, you dumb slut!" Nice.

Edited by archer1267
  • Love 1
On 2/22/2017 at 6:16 PM, archer1267 said:

Is going to Poughkeepsie a thing? I grew up a little bit north of there and it definitely was NOT the type of place you'd spend a weekend if you were a New Yorker looking for a nice, quaint getaway upstate. I haven't seen it in years though so maybe it's become the next Hudson or Phoenicia?

"Hannah, get out here, you dumb slut!" Nice.

I grew up in the Bronx but moved to Hudson for high school (parents wanted to get me out of the City but I was up to even more shenanigans Upstate - parenting fail).  I left Hudson 20 years ago right after high school because the area was dead and it's changed so much! Holy shit. Now people are like "Oh, you're from Hudson? That's so neat.  Do you know anyone with an AirBnb that can cut me a deal?"  

Poughkeepsie is trying to get in on that action because you don't have to Amtrak to Poughkeepsie like you do for Hudson, so it's a much cheaper train trip.  I have friends and family investing in Poughkeepsie like they did in Hudson 20 years ago.  Desi and Marnie are ahead of their time.  Trendsetters. 

• Love 1

Thanks, Cinci. My dad taught at Columbia Greene CC, outside of Hudson, in the 1970s and 1980s. Seeing Hudson again recently was a shock, although once you wander beyond a 3-4 block radius it seems more like the Hudson I knew 

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:59 PM, Teddybear said:

I loved the very last scene when Desi was getting all sentimental "I think we've all been down a time or two" and they both immediately cut him off with "shut the f** up!"  

That was one of my favorite moments. Hannah and Marnie were speaking for all of us in that moment.

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't believe those two Jamba Jeans girls for a moment. They have big success, it's about six years since Shoshanna blew them off, and I just didn't believe how it all went down. They were beyond cartoons. Do I believe those two girls would be narcissistic assholes, yes, but not in that lowest common denominator, see it from space way and cartoonish style. I know their purpose, but this was just silly. They were even cast so one was very tall and the other very tiny - Mutt and Jeff. Also, we'd never seen them before so it was hard for these two ridiculous women to represent the road not taken. The problem is that Shoshanna is completely underwritten and her stories get short shrift.

Also don't know the point of the instagrammable mystic woman and her tea set.

Girls does have a tendency to introduce a boyfriend who is  just a regular guy with flaws who is probably a mismatch for the "Girl" he's dating, and then turn them into an out-of-character insane person. I think Charlie is the only guy with whom Marnie ever had chemistry and I don't believe he became a drug dealer. I think Desi is too careerist and too aware of how his sex appeal can progress him at least to where he has a foothold in the business to be believeable as someone chomping 20 oxycontin a day. He never acted like that guy until recently. Wasn't he on Broadway? I can't believe the show acts like that credit was barely about being a barista in his long game of building a career. At the least he should be in other shows, doing an internet soap, making a commercial, being on stage, and then doing his "real passion" music, like a thousand other actors who want to be musicians.

I live in New York. Trying to think of weekend trips I've made, with a significant others, or with friends. Went to Finger Lakes for the weekend (wine country, Dr. Frank's vinyards and more). Went to Saratoga for the weekend. Have been out to the Hamptons or Hamptons adjacent beach communities for an overnight or weekend. Been to the Jersey shore. Also one time went to Nyack for a flea market. Sometimes people go up to Woodstock - there are a few theatre workshops there. A friend owns part of a share house in the Morse Lake area of New Jersey. But if you are a couple of twentysomethings in Williamsburg looking for a short road trip / overnight, Poughkeepsie is pretty random.

It really depends. I have a friend who went through a lot of men. At times the guy would get interested in me (I would meet them through her). One time she was trying to foist an ex onto me, and I had no interest whatsoever. But another time one of her exes was someone I would have been interested in, and she was like, OMG, you can't. And why was that - because to her, he was a significant ex, whereas the guy she encouraged me to go out with was not (and much less attractive as well). I never know what the general rule is considered to be.  Some girls have a never ever ever date a friend's ex rule, as if that can never be violated. I don't think you date an immediate ex. However, I know a number of circumstances where the original pairing was no great romance, and both people moved on, and then it reconfigured with someone else in the same social circle with no drama.  In interviews, the ethos of the creators of Girls seems to be you can never do that. I really think it depends on the emotional impact the original relationship had on your friend. I think even Courtney Cox and Jennifer Aniston dated the same guy at one point (Adam Durwitz).  Adam was a really significant relationship to Hannah, and even though they broke up, I can see her being jealous and resentful of Jessa/Adam. Hannah tends to be very jealous anyway (look at her reaction to Jean-Louis having a girlfriend), and I could imagine her thinking that her friend, "who looks like Brigitte Bardot and a mermaid had a baby" would have a more successful relationship with Adam then she did, possibly because of qualities Hannah doesn't have, and that could sting.

And I'm sorry, it would get on my nerves if Marnie dated anyone I'd ever dated, let alone anyone I'd lived with. Ray was so not her type, I'd know it was about her ego.

On 2/25/2017 at 2:01 PM, archer1267 said:

Thanks, Cinci. My dad taught at Columbia Greene CC, outside of Hudson, in the 1970s and 1980s. Seeing Hudson again recently was a shock, although once you wander beyond a 3-4 block radius it seems more like the Hudson I knew 

I believe New York's Senator Gillibrand still lives in Hudson.

On 2/19/2017 at 9:28 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Better episode than last week but still..

I hate everything about Desi and Marnie. Marnie who got back to being tolerable last season has now gone back into sick category. So Desi is a drug addict? And on OxyContin? Shouldn't he be a bit more entertaining then? All he does is crib and sing terrible songs. Marnie should never go back to her exs, all of them are on drugs! Watching Hannah and Marnie get rid of Desi horror movie style was funny as hell though. It reminded me when I love their friendship. And Hannah being insightful about being self centered? These were nice moments. 

Also Jessa is the damn worst too. She's just so cool for anything and everything, you guys. Ugh. I can't anymore. I'm assuming that's the point right? Sosh is realizing that Jessas just so cool for all and everything is actually really lame and a way to avoid responsibility and bailing on people last minute isn't a good thing to do. 

Also YES!!! Someone called Jessa on her bs! Ruining Soshos networking event and dating Adam!!!!! Holy wow. Also to sosh too! Oh my god. It was like the sort of scene that happened in Gilmore Girls when Emily called out Lorelei for all her BS. Jessa sucks. 

Jemima was also in Lena Dunham's Tiny Furniture. I don't think she's Jessa. Jemima has talked about the percentage of her that's Jessa, and also a lot that's not. Jemima is authentically bohemian and privileged, but has been married since 2009 and has 2 children. Early in in Girls she had a spot on take about Jessa using her cool factor to get by, and how after you hit a certain age you simply can't keep behaving with Jessa's entitlement, but Jessa continues to do so. Jemima liked the big fight Jessa and Adam had at the end of last season - she felt that showed Jessa had some skin in the game, there was some authentic passion and investment there that was new for Jessa.

Recently there was an interview with the Girls, in which they discussed Season 6. Jemima made a few wry jokes about being "forced" to play opposite Adam Driver, and Lena Dunham interjected that one of the things people don't understand about Jemima is that underneath her "lushness" and her "British naughtiness" she is very moral and neurotic. Jemima says one of the ways she ties herself up in knots is she thinks things are supposed to be a certain way and people are supposed to behave a certain way. As an example, Dunham talks about when they were in school and one friend started sleeping with another friend's ex. Jemima was appalled and told Lena Dunham "If you don't tell her, I'm going to." I think it goes to power dynamics. If you've been in an intimate relationship with someone, and they immediately spin off and sleep with a close friend of yours, I am sure that feels extremely perilous - two people with intimate knowledge of you getting together. I think that would be the motivation for Jemima wanting to tell the girl. It's just like cheating, in a way. When one person in a marriage cheats, the person they're cheating with knows something about the marriage that one of the people in it doesn't know. Which is horrible.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don't think it's a stretch to make Desi a drug addict; he has always been flighty and unstable and ridiculous.  I can easily see him slipping into a 20 Oxy a day habit as a way to avoid reality, but that's just me.

Edited by Hrairoo
  • Love 2
(edited)

@DianeDobbler: Whoa, I had forgotten Desi was introduced as a Broadway actor.  Hmm.

You're right that the Jamba Jeans girls were cartoonish.  But I have always seen Girls as intentionally working the cartoonish beat.  They do it a little more drily than some other cartoonish shows (like Man Seeking Woman), so it might lead to ambiguity or frustration on the part of some viewers--either from the direction you are complaining from, or conversely, from people who say it's not as funny as it should be.

Edited by SlackerInc
  • Love 1