Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Getting Schooled

I liked this episode, but per usual, MJ is at it again with her self-sabotage. Now Lee is too metrosexual? Girl! Why must you always question a good thing? Outside of her usual neurosis, I was on her side in regards to the story. I'm over toxic, fragile, hyper-masculinity. That should've been the angle she focused on. 

Those sex lessons with Kara and Orlando were super awkward, but at least he was interested in learning. Bad sex can only be rectified if you want to get better and actually listen. Too bad about his neck, though. Take it as a war wound. 

• Love 3

I can understand the producers changing the location for the show to give a fresh perspective, and maybe it was time to leave Atlanta, but I'm just not as interested in the NYC station and the new characters.  Not interested in Rhonda, Jason/Justin or whatever, not even interested in MJ's younger brother as much as the other one in Atlanta (can't remember his name).  I never thought I'd say this, but I even miss Niecy's dumb ass.

That whole sex thing with Kara and Orlando turned me off.  I am by no means a prude, but it was just too much detail and I did not want to see her giving him lessons with a peach pit.  At one point when he became frustrated, I thought he was going to choke her.  I was hoping that he would ask Kara if he could teach her to give him a good BJ.  See if she liked that.  I hope after this episode the focus is off her for a while because I never liked her.

I'm just waiting for MJ and Lee to break up.  It's just a matter of time.  I mean, the dude drinks tea and sits with his legs crossed instead of wide open and showing his junk, so that means those things are dealbreakers.  Right?  Oh, and he's too articulate.  Egads!  

I'm sticking with the show this season but if it's renewed I'm not sure I'll be back.  I can't take too much more of MJ's crazy ass.   

• Love 2

I liked the Orlando and Kara storyline because it was very mature. During the first scene when he was just humping away, I thought, "Wow, that's really disappointing," and I thought that was the end of him. So the fact that she talked to him about it in a kind manner, and he was actually willing to listen -- well, I'm just impressed that they went there. It's the kind of thing you read about in sex advice columns (talk to you partner, tell him what you like, etc.), but on TV and in many cases, in real life, many women either a) just dump the guy and talk shit about him, or b) suffer with bad sex for months or years. I admired both the characters for putting themselves out there, and the writers for handling the topic so well.

Too bad she broke the guy at the end. I do wonder where their story is going to go, though. Kara is clearly uncomfortable with getting too close at this point in her life.

I can't believe MJ thinks Lee is too metrosexual. Do people even still say that word? She is so silly sometimes.

I miss Mark. I hope we see him this season.

• Love 2

I had to laugh at the MJ/Lee stuff as I had similar issues dating an Ghanaian man who was raised in Europe.  He also preferred tea to coffee and didn't have the kind of "swag" I was used to with American Black men.  I did have the good sense not to say anything to him about it though, and we ended up dating for several years.

While I liked the Kara storyline, I'd trade one or two of her sex scenes for scenes with the Niecy and Patrick.

Interesting that they made the rapper with the gender bending clothing line a white guy.   

It's nice to see that MJ is getting smarter at work and is learning work around Justin's antics in order to make herself valuable. 

And I really liked the little conversation that the black, Latina, and SE Asian woman had about Justin probably dating a white woman. It was a realistic conversation that you don't often see on TV because it isn't, I don't know, "tolerant" enough to be acceptable, perhaps? And what a surprise to MJ that he's actually dating a brown sister with dreadlocks. I actually thought he made up the girlfriend and that he might invite MJ to the game. Michael Ealy and Gabrielle Union have interesting chemistry. Even when they're arguing or challenging each other, the characters stand quite close together and make all kinds of eye contact. Or maybe that's just Michael Ealy. Is he that seductive with other females on the show?

I also miss the Atlanta family: Niecy, Paul, and the dad. But not Mama Shug Avery. She always irked me. 

On 2/8/2017 at 11:33 AM, Ohwell said:

I'm just waiting for MJ and Lee to break up.  It's just a matter of time.  I mean, the dude drinks tea and sits with his legs crossed instead of wide open and showing his junk, so that means those things are dealbreakers.  Right?  Oh, and he's too articulate.  Egads

MJ doesn't know what she wants. She says Lee doesn't have enough swagger. But the guys she's liked in the past with swagger were either married (Omari Hardwick) or took her on all kinds of emotional head trips (David). Or they were purely sex buddies she couldn't have a conversation with. Or they were controlling men who refused to have orgasms because they felt they would be giving up their power in some way. Why does MJ want a man as crazy as she is??

Edited by topanga

I think that now that MJ has seen Justin with a black woman, she sees him in a new light, finds him more appealing, and will want to break up his relationship.  Cuz that's how she rolls.  I just hope the writers don't go there because that's an old trope with the squabbling coworkers winding up in the sack. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, Ohwell said:

I can understand the producers changing the location for the show to give a fresh perspective, and maybe it was time to leave Atlanta, but I'm just not as interested in the NYC station and the new characters.  Not interested in Rhonda, Jason/Justin or whatever, not even interested in MJ's younger brother as much as the other one in Atlanta (can't remember his name).  I never thought I'd say this, but I even miss Niecy's dumb ass.

That whole sex thing with Kara and Orlando turned me off.  I am by no means a prude, but it was just too much detail and I did not want to see her giving him lessons with a peach pit.  At one point when he became frustrated, I thought he was going to choke her.  I was hoping that he would ask Kara if he could teach her to give him a good BJ.  See if she liked that.  I hope after this episode the focus is off her for a while because I never liked her.

I'm just waiting for MJ and Lee to break up.  It's just a matter of time.  I mean, the dude drinks tea and sits with his legs crossed instead of wide open and showing his junk, so that means those things are dealbreakers.  Right?  Oh, and he's too articulate.  Egads!  

I'm sticking with the show this season but if it's renewed I'm not sure I'll be back.  I can't take too much more of MJ's crazy ass.   

I am totally "feelin" your comments:  Sometimes I  ( have to clutch my pearls) ) I am trying to hang with this show, but MJ can be disappointing sometime in her behavior and decisions, she's appearing to" NEEDY" for me lately and it turning me off for some reason.  I could have gone all season without the sex lesson with Kara. and Orlando .  I do like Lee a lot and I believe he would be good for her if she would stop pushing, , I just don't think he's really her type, he's more my type.....Lol !!

• Love 1