Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Meltdown in Bolivia

Sabrina, the witch (no, I'm not kidding) and Vince were in a Bolivian jungle where Sabrina bitched that Vince didn't provide enough food as she stood to the side not doing much. I'm not saying that she should jump in if she doesn't know what to do, but for sure, if it were me (and I wouldn't be there in the first place, I realize that) but  I wouldn't be bitching at the other person's efforts if I weren't making the effort.

After the medic was called and "cleared him" to continue, Vince could still choose to tap out without waiting another night, which is what he apparently did. His wife's words were "tap out if your health is in jeopardy." Which brings me to Sabrina's husband.

What a husband. Apparently he told her not to come home early - to complete the 21 days. Wow. Who says that? Ok she didn't say that he said, "No matter what" but I inferred it.  Additionally, after Vince left on day 16, she started talking to a rock with a smiley face on it, named, "Mushroom Man." UmmmK.. And she was bitching about Vince even after he left. Jesus. BTW, she's not really "alone." There's a camera crew. I know they're not to intervene, but at least she knew they were there. I do give her props for staying after her partner left. Did they ever say what her diagnosis was on day 20 in the hospital? She almost made it the whole time.

Vince had 3 serious diseases/infections. One was malaria and I didnt' hear the other two. Anyone? 

Edited by Lisin

I don't remember them revealing it in the after show.  It was interesting that Vince didn't show up for the after show.

Because he wasn't there, They put on a bunch of the show runners, producers and casting people.  They revealed that they were looking for outgoing people, but not crazy.  They also said that the PSR tests were pretty thorough. I wonder about that because of Casie(?). She couldn't start fire if there was in inferno next to her.

Because the witch wanted to be the little house survivalist, they were considering a variety of different people to pair her with, a total loser and settled on a know it all who will do everything. You have to love that! They were giggling about that casting.

I am ashamed to admit this, but the after show is growing on me. I don't even like silly pranks and such, but I like hearing from the contestants, I like seeing and learning about the animals, and I enjoyed hearing from the producers in this particular episode. (A sloth! I truly NEED a sloth.) The clip where she ate a tadpole and basically burst into tears was hysterical. "It's squishy."

I was sorry Sabrina didn't get a chance to make the final trek and get the completion. I was surprised that Vince tapped out so easily, particularly since he was so into it at the beginning. Honestly, I'm the type who would enjoy his instructor monologue IF he was open to it being a dialogue. If he thinks he knows it all and can't learn from me, then that would get old fast. I believe, though, that no matter what I know, I can learn more.

I laughed at Vince's fire-making kit. If you're going to use sticks, then bring something else and just use wood from the area (unless you think it's going to be so rainy and wet that you won't find proper materials). His bringing a friction-based fire-making kit came across as extremely arrogant.

I thought her way of preparing -- by teaching her body to handle feast/famine -- was very, very smart. Our bodies adjust to fasting and to buring fat as the primary fuel fairly easily, but it does take some adjustment time. It makes sense to do the work to prepare the body before you get thrust into the situation.

Vince even with his "best in the world" talk didn't annoy me as much as Sabrina (who I couldn't quit referring to as the Teenage Witch). Her continued whining about Vince not providing for her was insane. Isn't the point of the show to use your survival skills? Was hers complaining?

I continue to watch the after show, I just have to tune the host out a lot. I found it odd how they glossed over Vince having three diseases & oh, by the way, the most dangerous form of malaria. But hey, he tapped out, loser. It makes me wonder if something went on with him off screen or afterwards & it ended badly between him & the show. I would think that could be interesting in their storyline of the dangers you endure.

ari333 I noticed the completely different spousal advice as well & didn't like it. Don't quit, with the unspoken, no matter what versus don't risk your health. Yuck.

I'm not sure why people are disparaging of her being a Witch.  So what?  Would you say the same if she said she was a Christian?

Anyway, her not helping with the food acquisition bugged me.  I'm a little surprised those two didn't move camp if it were so dangerous to be there with the potential flooding.

Vince killed a scorpion.  Waste of protein.  The poison in a scorpion is only in the tail.  They could have chopped that off and eaten the body.  But Nooooo, Mr. I'm the best in the world didn't think of that.

I found it really rich that he went on and on about how he's a talker, he talks too much, his wife tells him to knock it off and then he got offended when Sabrina agreed with him.  What the heck?  Shut up about it then!

I too was really surprised that he brought a friggin fire starter kit.  I would bring a flint fire starter.  More reliable.  I remember once the lady in one of the Africa espisodes brought a cook pot, which was brilliant because it would be easier to boil the water.  Vince could have brought a pot and then used found sticks to do the fire starting with.  Jerk, he kind of screwed the whole thing up.  Mr. Best in the world could have made fire without his stupid kit.

I was thinking Sabrina got sick shortly after eating that parrot head.  That's the problem with eating carrion.  Human systems don't handle rotting meat, even if she didn't think it was rotting, it probably was.

I miss people like Manu who really was a strong spirit.

• Love 1

Yeah, her being a witch didn't bug me. In fairness, what we saw was the TV cut, which is going to play up eye rolls and such. She could be a fluffy bunny witch, or she could have years of dedicated study behind her. Impossible to tell from this, and it doesn't really matter.

I agree 100% about her wanting VInce to provide the food. What? Chick, stop whining and go rustle your own grub out of those bushes. Vince is NOT there to take care of you. You're there as a team.

I thought throwing away the scorpion was a waste too! I remember on one of the after shows a contestant mentioned all the things they ate that weren't shown on TV. So that could have been the case here too. We saw him kill the scorpion, but we didn't see him toss it. They might have been eating tons of them! I honestly wish the editors/producers would focus more on the survival aspects than the drama. It's just a lot more interesting!

• Love 3

Sabrina bugged the shit out of me with her "Imma Georgia girl! We know about bonfires!" and "If that was my husban' he'd be out there huntin' and providin' instead jus' standin' around tryin' tuh fish." Oh man, like nails on a chalkboard. And don't even get me started on arrogant Vince and his best in the world survivalist bullshit. Hey Vince! "Let's mud up!" Although him with the black soot on his face, gingerly laying on his stomach in the river water trying to catch critters made me wheeze out a laugh or two. This just might be NAA's worst team yet.

And don't even get me started on arrogant Vince and his best in the world survivalist bullshit. Hey Vince! "Let's mud up!" Although him with the black soot on his face, gingerly laying on his stomach in the river water trying to catch critters made me wheeze out a laugh or two.

The bares all version shows that Vince kept leaving early for his "hunting trips", and one time Sabrina followed him. He kept taking naps in the field. Bwah! He'd rather starve and get away from her than bring food back to camp.

The bares all version shows that Vince kept leaving early for his "hunting trips", and one time Sabrina followed him. He kept taking naps in the field. Bwah! He'd rather starve and get away from her than bring food back to camp.

Hahaha what a dbag. 

I watched the Bares All special that had new scenes & contestant comments the other night. I think Sabrina matched him pretty well in the jerkathon. After the fact, once she was home, they gave her a video of him describing that once he quit he found out he had three diseases: malaria, a tick borne illness & some other tropical thing. He was his usual butthead self about his announcement & took credit for teaching her, but afterwards she pretty much said that she still didn't care & it didn't give him an out. Wasn't she the one who had massive stomach cramps & had to leave but recovered after a couple of days of fluids & food? These two sound like an unpleasant match made for each other.

• Love 1

Vince, meet Hubris.  Hubris, meet Vince.  Just how does Vince know he is one of the "world's top survivalists" or that he is one of the best in the world at making fire from two sticks?  Is there some Super Bowl of Fire Making Sticks competition somewhere that I've never heard of?  Really? He thinks he's better than the Australians and Africans living in the bush?  Come on.

That in itself was enough foreshadowing to let us know that he was going to tap out.  Did it sound like there were sirens in the producer's car as they were taking him to the hospital?  Was he in an ambulance, or just a car with some kind of siren light that they stuck on the roof?  I think once you get to the hospital, no doctor is going to let the contestant go home.  He/She is almost surely dehydrated, so that in itself would buy a hospital admission.

Agree with the comments up above about his survival item being some fire sticks.  What a douchebag.  Why not just a firestarter?  If he's so great at making fire from two sticks, then let's see him do it without perfectly round sticks and something to spin them on and see if he can make fire as easily.

I'm really disliking the basic formula for these shows.  Contestants get some kind of cutting tool and fire starter (unless your name is Vince).  They spend time making the shelter.  They get some tiny meal around day 10-14.  Then they don't eat a substantial meal again for the rest of the time.  If the contestants are true survivalists, don't you think at least some of the teams would be eating on a more regular basis.

• Love 2
Agree with the comments up above about his survival item being some fire sticks.  What a douchebag.  Why not just a firestarter?  If he's so great at making fire from two sticks, then let's see him do it without perfectly round sticks and something to spin them on and see if he can make fire as easily.

Yup. If he was the most amazing survivalist, he'd be able to fashion his own sticks and go for A POT to boil water or some other survival tool he'd want.