Type keyword(s) to search

Cloak & Dagger In The Funny Books: The Comics Discussion Thread

• Start Topic

I read a summary of the comic books and I'm so glad and happy that they changed Tandy and Tyrone origins story. It's makes them so much more interesting and less sterotypical. Before I read that summary, I assumed they were destiny to become romantically involved but after I read the summary, I realize that's not the case. So I'm wondering if the writers will keep that element of the comic in the show ? I'm wondering if that's why they gave both Tandy and Tyrone love interests who could stay for the long-term? 

If you actually read the comic or heard differently from the behind the scenes people, please correct me if I'm wrong. 

In the ultimate universe they're boyfriend and girlfriend, I believe they become prom king and queen. In the normal universe they're in a complicated relationship, not quite boyfriend and girlfriend but not exactly platonic either. They're constantly working on their relationship. Its an interesting dynamic.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Oscirus said:

So in the new comic, they get rid of Dagger's  controversial "tit windows" by moving her cross to the back, but then for some reason decide to give her heels?

dkpqsexwrvrpisqlgorz.jpg

I guess they assume without the "tits window", she would be less sexy. So they decided to give her heels as way to make her seem sexy even without the "tits window". 

I hope the show gives her a better version of her custom. 

So the showrunner's going on his "please don't cancel my show" tour and revealed some stuff about season 2 ( mostly it'll be more super natural enemies)

He also revealed the guy in this scene is infamous cloak and dagger villain Mr. Jip: 

why do any female superheroes wear heels? because that is how they always are depicted, no matter how stupid it is. I rolled my eyes so hard when I saw that they couldn't resist giving Wonder Woman wedge heels in her movie.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Linderhill said:

why do any female superheroes wear heels? because that is how they always are depicted, no matter how stupid it is. I rolled my eyes so hard when I saw that they couldn't resist giving Wonder Woman wedge heels in her movie.

Or the S.H.I.E.L.D Agents under the other trope of it being okay if they are boots with high heels 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, mary2013 said:

In the comics, what happens to someone who disappears inside Ty's cloak?

Unless Cloak chooses to release them, the darkforce devours their life force and they come out all withered and dead.

2 hours ago, Oscirus said:

Unless Cloak chooses to release them, the darkforce devours their life force and they come out all withered and dead.

And even when he did release them, they usually came out a little bit crazy (driven to near-madness by the thing in his cloak and/or the isolation and effects of the Darkforce).

Having recently re-read much of the C&D comics from back in the day, I have to say that I'm very pleased with the changes to the characters and story they made in this show. I only really read C&D's Spider-Man crossover appearances back in the day (and enjoyed them), but sadly the level of writing on their various series was not terribly good at all (and got noticeably worse from volume to volume and writer to writer). Plus, comic Cloak was always pretty creepy and stalker-ish, and not a very good character.

(Footnote, I only got up to the end of vol. 2 of their series and then their Strange Tales stories, so it may have improved from vol.3 onwards. I understand that Steve Gerber wrote at least a few issues of their title, I believe starting in v.3, and I've always enjoyed his work.)

Edited by Cthulhudrew
17 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Is Mayhem really a villian? From what I read she seems more like an anti-hero going after the corrupt. 

There is the open question, is any "hero" working extra-judicially  basically a vigilante villain? Especially if they do more than just corporal punishment and kill like Arrow in his first few episodes, the Punisher and what we are expecting from Mayhem

11 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Having recently re-read much of the C&D comics from back in the day, I have to say that I'm very pleased with the changes to the characters and story they made in this show. I only really read C&D's Spider-Man crossover appearances back in the day (and enjoyed them), but sadly the level of writing on their various series was not terribly good at all (and got noticeably worse from volume to volume and writer to writer). Plus, comic Cloak was always pretty creepy and stalker-ish, and not a very good character.

(Footnote, I only got up to the end of vol. 2 of their series and then their Strange Tales stories, so it may have improved from vol.3 onwards. I understand that Steve Gerber wrote at least a few issues of their title, I believe starting in v.3, and I've always enjoyed his work.)

It's worse in the current comics as Dagger doesn't even need Cloak and they've broken up yet Cloak still keeps appearing wherever she is.

Cloak and Dagger were basically used for whenever they needed to transport people really fast. So, yea any changes to turn them into lead characters is welcome.

Edited by Oscirus