Type keyword(s) to search

Z: The Beginning Of Everything - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I binged this over the last 2 days and they all I can say about it is they are terribly unsuited for each other. He is an alcoholic, he said in this episode he was going on the wagon, but barely made it to Montgomery before he had a drink. She seems to be lost in the whole new world she is thrust into, and trying to make the best of it.

He steals her work, and then tries to make it seem like he is just using it for inspiration, when he is taking entire passages from her journal and passing them off as her own.

He sees her getting a hug from a man and his reaction is to get a blowjob from another woman. Eugenia no less! Then he blames it on being drunk. He's always drunk as she points out, but she still takes him back, and doesn't even get an apology or a promise to never do it again.

I know that this show is focused on Zelda and so would always portray her in a good light, but dang, if he was as bad as he is shown, I don't know if she should have stayed for the day after the wedding.  She even had to get naked for that to get his attention

All I am taking from this is that she is the talent behind the man, and if she had broken out on her own earlier, she would have been a star in her own right.

• Love 3

I'm really not liking the decision to play off Tallulah Bankhead as a flapper-era mean girl. She was brash and bold, but also famously liberal (she frequently butted heads with her powerful Southern Democrat family), and by all accounts adored both Zelda and Eugenia. Plus, these women, as well as Edna St. Vincent Millay, were trailblazers. Are we to believe Zelda alone could rise above cattiness? I know the narrative wants to highlight how Zelda started as a fish out of water, but if it has to vilify other characters, especially ones based on real people, to do it, then it's not very good writing. 

• Love 2

I agree. It seemed unnecessary to turn the Bankhead ladies into mean girls, when by all accounts Tallulah at least was a very nice person. I can't find much about Eugenia( except she had terrible eyesight) so maybe she was nasty? I know nothing about Edna, so I wont comment on her.

• Love 1

I was surprised to see that her father did not insist on a formal wedding and that her parents didn't attend. I'm glad he at least got her a wrist corsage. The reception seemed more like a frat party but she knew how to break that up fast lol. 

• Love 3

I binge watched the entire season while sick and I agree that Scott is being portrayed as an ass and this is a shame because there could be so much more depth there.  By this episode, I was just watching to be able to say I finished it.   Zelda devolved for me over the course of the series and by this episode was one note and ridiculous.  Sad, because the first few episodes had so much promise and the production values were truly great.  Also, I love the portrayal of Zelda's Momma.

• Love 1