Type keyword(s) to search

Dragon Ball Super - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Well we called it. Goku put the hit on himself.

If I were Vegeta I would snitch on Goku to Chichi. Why should he be the only Saiyan in trouble? If Goku got chewed out by his wife, he deserves it. 

I think Piccolo did the right thing telling Chichi what's going on. So many times Chichi is left in the dark when it concerns her husband and sons.

Edited by Arcadiasw

I was spoiled on Goku putting a contract on himself. I still would like to know what Hit would have gotten for payment. After last week's episode, I had figured it would be a good umbrella . . . because I assumed he lived on Planet Rainy Noir Place. But I'm guessing he was just visiting there.

Of course Vegeta was lying about steak soaked in his granny's secret sauce. He probably never had a grandmother. After all, this is a shonen anime. We only know his father and Goku's in brief bursts, and their mothers has yet to be mentioned.

While I'm thinking about it . . . was there ever a planet where Saiyans came from? Yeah, I know about the planet Vegeta, but didn't they take that over from the resident species? I imagine a planet called Saiya as bleak and desolate, where the overgrown monkeys had to become absurdly powerful in order to survive.

One more thing: "It's time to make the donuts"?!?? So they got Dunkin Donuts in Universe 6 with those commercials? That's somewhat awesome.

6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

While I'm thinking about it . . . was there ever a planet where Saiyans came from? Yeah, I know about the planet Vegeta, but didn't they take that over from the resident species? I imagine a planet called Saiya as bleak and desolate, where the overgrown monkeys had to become absurdly powerful in order to survive.

In the notes that Toriyama originally provided to the anime staff, the Saiya-jin and Tsufuru-jin both lived together on a single planet (Plant), until the Saiya overpowered the Tsufuru and took over.  It was the anime staff that came up with the idea later on for the Saiya to have traveled from another planet, as seen in GT and etc.  The supposed planet itself was never identified. 

Bulma's greatest faux pas: Great Saiyaman costume.

Gohan's greatesr faux pas: Being influenced by the Ginyu Force poses.

On 7/22/2018 at 11:29 PM, Sandman87 said:

Every time I see Goku and Chichi interact, I hope he'll unveil an awesome new technique consisting of having his lawyer serve her with divorce papers and a restraining order.

The same could be said for Chichi for putting up with Goku. Besides, he likes her temper and Super has exaggerated their characters to the point they are caricutures. 

• Love 1

Not So Great Saya Man: The Movie, featuring a bunch of stereotypical movie business types as the cast and crew. Yawn.

I hope Mr Big Shot Pop Idol realizes that idols have a shelf life of about two years in Japan.

Jacko lets a dangerous prisoner escape during his lunch break. How has he not been fired yet? Do the job evaluations consist entirely of demonstrating how well he can strike a pose?

Wow, Barry Khan barely had the one dimension. Also, he's not the worst Barry to be animated.

Is there a rough timeline with the Buu Saga and DBS? I think the former happened a few years from the present. How could people forget Great Saiyaman, especially when all the Buu stuff was wiped from people's memories? Or maybe that wish would have also negated Gohan "coming out" prior to the WMAT.

I really want females to kick ass on this anime, and for that to go beyond Chi Chi conking her husband. It's not like I want Videl to ki blast, but she was once a vigilante (of sorts) who kicked ass and lived up to the Satan bloodline. I will say that I'm pleasantly surprised she didn't try to rip Gohan's balls off upon seeing the idol kissing him.

You know, if Dr. Slump were to be revived, I think Jaco could fit in well in Penguin Village.

Super started a few months after the Boo Saga but I wouldn't bother trying to keep up with timelines. TPTB of Super change things (timelines, personalities or character growth from DBZ, etc) to suit whatever story they are writing for Super at the moment. I gave up after they introduced Bulma's sister. 

Edited by Arcadiasw

As soon as Jaco explained that the alien whatsit automatically gloms onto the evil-est person around, I knew that Barry was going to be it.

A little surprised that Pan didn't display any of her powers. Other than the diaper smell, I mean.

And Jaco doesn't learn...

11 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

As soon as Jaco explained that the alien whatsit automatically gloms onto the evil-est person around, I knew that Barry was going to be it.

And Jaco doesn't learn...

I know to lower my expectations of this series compared to the predecessors but at least the fillers of the predecessors were entertaining. These last handful has been just bad as if even the writers are struggling to come up with something entertaining. 

In the case of Jaco never learning  he  isn't so different from a lot of characters on the show. No matter the consequences they don't learn. Well, they did in DB and DBZ. Super on the other hand... 

Also, Jaco is the last person to talk about anyone not being capable or uninspiring. Sometimes I wonder how much dialogue is actual subbed or if it's the dubbed using the opportunity to take a dig at certain characters. 

I barely watched the last two episodes.  They were pretty boring.  Its funny because I did like the episodes between the Friza arc and the Future Trunks arc (there is technically no filler for this show as it isn't actually a manga adaptation, the manga and the show are separate but concurrent media).  That said I kind of liked the baseball episode since it really reminded me of the old X-men comics where they'd play no-powers baseball and then craziness ensues.  The Hit-Goku episodes were relatively entertaining as well.  Hopefully next week will be better.

Krillin must really be out of shape if bullets wound him. Launch shot him, Goku and Master Roshi when he was a kid. 

It's nice to see Krillin and Goku hang out.

So, we got an episode featuring Yamcha, this two parter(?) with Krillin, I wonder if Tien, Chaozu(sp) and Launch will be featured again.

19 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I know I should disregard ages on this show but how old is Marron supposed to be? 

Marron is officially supposed to be around nine years old, however she is still being depicted as a three year-old.  Even though it's supposed to be about six years after Majin Boo (Age 774 to Age 780).

7 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

Marron is officially supposed to be around nine years old, however she is still being depicted as a three year-old.  Even though it's supposed to be about six years after Majin Boo (Age 774 to Age 780).

Six years?? Goten is overdue for a growth spurt. Even Gohan grew from the Saiyans era to the Cell Games. 

On 8/20/2018 at 11:29 AM, Sandman87 said:

Yoda called, and he wants his Cavern of Inner Demons back.

"You take only what you bring." "Okay." "Your ki blasts. You will not need them." "Really?" "Bitch, this is Dragon Ball Super. Of course you need the ki blasts!"

Does "Cha La Head Cha La" translate to anything? I know that was homaged from the original DBZ theme music.

Man, Eighteen was rough on Krillin. Also I'm still wondering why Maron doesn't show any powers, since her parents are an android and perhaps the strongest human on Earth.

55 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Also I'm still wondering why Maron doesn't show any powers, since her parents are an android and perhaps the strongest human on Earth.

It seems like humans only get unusual powers through training, so I wouldn't expect her to inherit any from Krillin. And maybe the androidey changes to 18 didn't include anything genetic, or didn't change the reproductive bits.

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Does "Cha La Head Cha La" translate to anything? I know that was homaged from the original DBZ theme music.

"Head-Cha-La" is an Anglicized form of hecchara, which in Japanese means something like "no problem" or "nothing to worry about".

Priorities, Goku. Priorities. Super really butchered the hell out of Goku's character. (And this isn't the worst Goku faux pas) It was a joke but I kind of agree with Vegeta with Super's version of Goku I've no idea how he's still married.

How out of touch are the Son Family if they didn't know Bulma's pregnant? Even Goten didn't seem to know. After the Cell Saga, it seems everyone kept in closer contact with each other. :remembers this is Super: Nevermind. 

On 8/24/2018 at 9:02 PM, Matt K said:

That was a pretty boring episode.  Although tomorrow starts the last arc of the series (55 episodes) so hopefully things will start to pick up again. 

I'm curious to see if the longest fight ever is as entertaining as Freeza Saga's longest fight ever. 

On 8/24/2018 at 10:17 PM, Lantern7 said:

Man, Eighteen was rough on Krillin. Also I'm still wondering why Maron doesn't show any powers, since her parents are an android and perhaps the strongest human on Earth.

With her being carried all the time, how can Marron realize she has any powers? She's very coddled but maybe whenever she ages, her parents teach her martial arts. Would've been nice to see Krillin train his daughter since he expected a four year old Gohan to be strong, too. 

On 5/7/2017 at 1:27 AM, Sandman87 said:

Gohan's daughter is named Pan? As in the Japanese word for bread? (BTW thanks to Yakitate! Japan. for teaching me that.) Nice that they're sticking to the food themed naming. Also, Chichi is obnoxious.

Maybe “Pan” as in “Pan Flute,” since Piccolo is kindasorta her godfather? That occurred to me recently.

This week: Goku’s zest for fighting might get entire universes destroyed. Also: furry fighters!!

Now we know the secret to getting Buu to fight - just convince him that the other guy has hurt Mr. Satan. In this case, the other guy is one of the furries from Universe 9 who looks like a red fox. Not to be confused with Redd Foxx.

Interesting that the other universe's Destroyers don't have cat heads like Chompa and Beerus. I like the one with the clown head.

They're all paired right? So Champa and Beerus are the cat-like Destroyers, and there should be duos of all the others also. (Although all the kai's looked kinda sorta similar)

Man, Goku has gone from absurdly idiotic to a straight up super-villain. He's all "guess we better win" but doesn't seem to at all care that even if his team manages to win and save his universe, his putting this idea in the Grand Zenos' head(s) will destroy 11 universes. Good job Goku! It either has sunk in or he seriously has no remorse. Dude should be horrified. I guess I could write it off as now they're in self-preservation mode, but not even a blink that he's just guaranteed tons of loss of life, whether it includes his own or not.

Unless they're setting it up that the winner with the super dragon balls can then wish to save the other 11. But wouldn't that piss off the omniking(s) to be contradicted that way?

I thought Whis said something to that effect when Champa first showed up however many episodes ago. The universes all have a sibling universe, so the Destroyers have sibling Destroyers, etc. They're from the 6th and 7th, and I inferred 5+8, 4+9, etc are all paired.

In Goku's defense, it seems likely that he'll be able to wish those universes back with the Super Dragon Balls if they win (since the Super Dragon Balls seems to have no restrictions that we know of).  That said, he was an idiot throughout the episode. 

Edited by Matt K

Theory: at the end of the arc, somebody makes a wish on the Super Dragon Balls . . . that Beerus had not woken up until a hundred years from the present. As a result, all of the events leading to each arc are nullified, no universes are destroyed, we only have one all-powerful tyke with no concept of morality, nothing happens between the end of the Buu arc and the tournament where Pan debuted and Goku fought Uub, and GT is showed to be the official timeline.

Too fucked up?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:40 PM, Lantern7 said:

Theory: at the end of the arc, somebody makes a wish on the Super Dragon Balls . . . that Beerus had not woken up until a hundred years from the present. As a result, all of the events leading to each arc are nullified, no universes are destroyed, we only have one all-powerful tyke with no concept of morality, nothing happens between the end of the Buu arc and the tournament where Pan debuted and Goku fought Uub, and GT is showed to be the official timeline.

Too fucked up?

I would prefer we go back in our real life timeline and get a writer for the Super series who doesn't contradicts or retcon many storylines and character growth from DB/DBZ to make their Super stories plausible and also writes all the characters fairly without resorting to bashing characters they don't like or show obvious bias toward their favorites but this works, too. 

9 hours ago, TigerLily20 said:

I always figured the gods of destruction were based loosely on Egyptian gods....but clown destroyer is freaky lol

I keep thinking of the IT clown when I see him. 

If I’m Goku, I’d be screaming about how I just wanted to fight the strongest people ever, and I didn’t know the Xenoes/Xeni/Whatever would use the tournament as a reason to destroy universes. If Goku is the bad guy, he’s the most reluctant bad guy ever. Also, if the true weight of what he started really hit him, he’d be a wreck.

On 9/30/2018 at 12:08 AM, Lantern7 said:

If I’m Goku, I’d be screaming about how I just wanted to fight the strongest people ever, and I didn’t know the Xenoes/Xeni/Whatever would use the tournament as a reason to destroy universes. If Goku is the bad guy, he’s the most reluctant bad guy ever. Also, if the true weight of what he started really hit him, he’d be a wreck.

Except he was warned by Beerus to not contact the Xenis because of their power and how unpredictable they are. Super Goku as usual didn't  listen and did what he wanted anyway so he has to share some blame.

Goku, at this point, figures it will all work out  because it's always has hence his blase attitude while everyone is panicking. Goku has never been a person who cares what others think of him except maybe his family. So he doesn't care if the other universes thinks he's a bad guy. If it got to the point where he know things won't work out that is when Goku will take things seriously. 

Right but in this context, by the time it "doesn't work out" he and everyone else no longer exist. I mean, I understand why Goku is so one-minded, and frankly, dumb, but it does really bother me that he hears "universes destroyed" and he's so arrogant it doesn't sink in that that's really bad, even if he wins and his uni isn't toast, others would be and he just doesn't care. Other guy makes a deal that could save them all and it's still more important to him to win when he could've put forth the appearance of trying really hard and then just making one mistake and losing to save everyone. Like, absolutely nothing bothers him other than losing a match. I guess all those blows to the head aren't helping.

I kinda love this storyline actually, because it's not just that everyone is saying he's a villain. Dude straight up is one at the moment. And doesn't get it. He's not well-meaning but oblivious. He's been literally told the consequences and is all "meh, I always come out on top". Which, if it were true, means there are zero stakes, so why should we care? (which historically has been true. There are no stakes.They wish people alive all the time. The how they get to the undo is supposed to be the interesting part.) It's kinda meta. Goku is simultaneously a mouthpiece for the audience (it'll be fine, it always is) and a villain (if I'm not braking the fourth wall, this attitude is HORRENDOUS).

When the consequences of the tournament was first mentioned, Goku was shocked but then he brushed over it as it wasn't a big deal and focused on winning. I can't make heads or tails out of Goku's behavior either other than bad writing and character assassination for a storyline to work. So I'll just wait and see while rolling my eyes and shaking my head with everyone else watching.

Again I can't blame Top and the other Universes leaders for their feelings. 

So 40 hours. I hope the group is stock on Senzu beans and I don't blame Beerus for wanting to stuff as much Earth food in his mouth as possible. 

15 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

I have to check my original DBZ DVD and not Kai to see how long Goku vs Frieza was. I think that's the record with the time they had.

The funny thing is I've never seen the end of the Goku Frieza fight.  The original DBZ was on Saturday mornings in syndication in the early 90's and I watched from the beginning until mid-way into the fight (they may have also tossed in Tree of Might ova into the mix) and then the next week a new show took its place.  I've seen the abridged version of the fight but never the original (which is why I'm actually glad they started Kai from the beginning as besides DBZA, it's been over 20 years since I've last seen this story line). 

And honestly, that is one problem I have with Dragon Ball Z/Super.  A single fight should not take that long as I start getting bored (see the fight with Beerus which was a lot shorter in the OVA).  I'm hoping the Tournament of Power being a battle royal means we get a lot more variety of fighting but it's also like 35 episodes so who knows.  

5 hours ago, Matt K said:

The funny thing is I've never seen the end of the Goku Frieza fight.  The original DBZ was on Saturday mornings in syndication in the early 90's and I watched from the beginning until mid-way into the fight (they may have also tossed in Tree of Might ova into the mix) and then the next week a new show took its place.  I've seen the abridged version of the fight but never the original (which is why I'm actually glad they started Kai from the beginning as besides DBZA, it's been over 20 years since I've last seen this story line). 

And honestly, that is one problem I have with Dragon Ball Z/Super.  A single fight should not take that long as I start getting bored (see the fight with Beerus which was a lot shorter in the OVA).  I'm hoping the Tournament of Power being a battle royal means we get a lot more variety of fighting but it's also like 35 episodes so who knows.  

Before DBZ aired on Toonami, DBZ aired on Sunday mornings in syndication in my area. This was with the Ocean's cast in the late 90s. I remember seeing The Tree of Might movie and a few episodes before Toonami picked it up in 98. That's when I really got hooked on the show. I would love for them to air the original DBZ episodes again. There were a lot of good fillers as opposed to Super's fillers but it has to be on five days and not weekly. Crazy it's been 20 years since it aired on Toonami! I still remember telling my parents to not bother me between 5-5:30pm because that was DBZ time for me and it became 5-6pm when DB was added. Fun times. 

Goku vs Freeza was 19 episodes in the original DBZ. When Freeza destroyed the planet's core and said Namek had only five minutes left before it explodes, the fight lasted nine more episodes including Gohan coming back to fight Freeza when Goku was knocked down for a moment. I remembered thinking, "How can it still be five minutes?!" 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I still remember telling my parents to not bother me between 5-5:30pm because that was DBZ time for me and it became 5-6pm when DB was added. Fun times. 

I usually kept the VCR going during that time slot just in case anything distracted me.

2 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

When Freeza destroyed the planet's core and said Namek had only five minutes left before it explodes, the fight lasted nine more episodes including Gohan coming back to fight Freeza when Goku was knocked down for a moment.

That Gohan episode was probably my least favorite piece of filler during that fight.