Type keyword(s) to search

Dragon Ball Super - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/11/2018 at 2:04 PM, Lantern7 said:

I think that Trunks or Bulma said something along the lines of "that damn Black!" in the arc's first episode. Wow. I mean, totally knew whom they were talking about, but my mind went to a (slightly) bad place.

Here's a small clip from last week's episode that I found on Facebook. Post: "They did this on purpose ??? DBS woke af" Made me laugh.

5 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Note to self: Whenever a question like "Why didn't they bring their magic healing beans?" comes up, the answer is probably "Because Goku is stupid."

Well, gotta add everyone else on there, too. They all have been around Goku long enough to know how he is that you have to double check after him. It's no different than a parent double checking after a child or a spouse double checking after their forgetful spouse. 

Eh, I was kinda of hoping for Goku Black to have a zombie resurrection origin but that's too much for this show. 

Finally, the story is moving along! What a twist at the end! Zamasu did what Captain Ginyu should’ve done! But that first half was a waste of time!

So, that’s what the big hoopla on Goku never kissing ChiChi was about. What I saw from the manga made more sense than the anime. At least more than this dubbed version. From the manga, it was a misunderstanding of what Vegeta and Goku saw. Goku saw Trunks momma bird feeding Mai the senzu bean but from Vegeta’s viewpoint, Trunks was kissing Mai.

I get it was supposed to be a joke but I definitely get why G/CC fans were pissed at this. The couple doesn’t get much nice moments but to joke Goku never kissed his wife?

Doesn’t Bulma already know how Mai will look as an adult since she met her in Dragon Ball? So much retconning in this series.

• Love 1

Yeah, I think it's less so Goku has never kissed and moreso both that they saw different things from different angles and misunderstood the question AND that somehow Goku doesn't know what the word "kissing" means despite having done it. Somehow, I find this completely believeable.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yeah, I'm choosing to believe Goku misunderstood what Veteta was asking too. Plus, we KNOW they kissed in the Android saga, so this no kissing crap is bullshit.

True. Aside from the unseen kiss in the anime Goku gives ChiChi after he awakens from the heart virus; in the manga, Goku pretty much kicks Gohan out of the house seven days before the Cell Games. There was kissing among other things going on in the Son house in those last days. 

34 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Yeah, I think it's less so Goku has never kissed and moreso both that they saw different things from different angles and misunderstood the question AND that somehow Goku doesn't know what the word "kissing" means despite having done it. Somehow, I find this completely believeable.

For me I  felt the dubbed went overboard with the "pressing lips" thing to hammer it in that Goku never heard of the word kissing which for obvious reasons doesn't make sense. 

• Love 1

I'm fairly sure that what we have here is some subtlety of language that didn't translate. The people who write the dubs give themselves fits trying to make that stuff work, especially when there's some sort of wordplay involved.

(edited)

Good thing Trunks looked like he went Super Saiyan God. Things might have gotten ugly. Well, uglier.

Goku Black: The mighty Goku is dead! Yet again!

Zamasu: Ultimate justice is upheld! Zero mortals in any universe!!

Vegeta: (facepalming) You know, I just got it. Right now, it all came together.

Zamasu: (to GB) I told you the monkey had a brain!

Goku Black: I owe you zeni!

Vegeta: Okay, you're both insanely powerful, so I'll let that go. (pointing to Zamasu) You made a wish to be invulnerable, right? You're a Kai, so I'm thinking you can do most of what you wanted. (pointing to Goku Black) And you're him, except you took Kakkarot's body for yourself.

Goku: Black: Your point?

Vegeta: I was wondering . . . why are you both here? Together? And not just in the sense of "both of you can't be here, the universe would unravel" or anything like that. And I got it.

Zamasu: And . . . ?

Vegeta: (smirking) You two fuck each other, don't you?

Zamasu: (mouth open, making guttural noises)

Goku Black: You dare? YOU DARE?!?!???

Vegeta: Hey, I don't even want to think about it . . . but I'm right, aren't I? Both of you want to be the ultimate savior of the universe with this "Zero Mortals" bullshit. Both of you want to do it alone. But either one of you is basically beyond a god. You don't need a second pair of eyes!

Zamasu: (recovering) And you think . . . ?!?

Vegeta: I don't think. I know. You two fly into a world, kill every last person, find a lovely spot near a setting sun . . . and you just go to town on each other. I'm thinking a coin is flipped to see who does the buggering. Twenty minutes of pure action, a few minutes to smoke, then onto the next world.

Zamasu: That's quite the imagination you have, Vegeta.

Vegeta: You have a point. Five minutes. I can't see either of you as a generous lover. And believe me, I know.

Bulma: (blushing) He finally admits it!

Zamasu: Well  . . that is .  . fuck. RUN!!!!! (grabs onto Goku Black as he Instant Transmissions away)

Vegeta: Well, I wanted to be the greatest Saiyan. And now I'm the only Saiyan. Dragons fucking ruin everything.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Why oh why do the hero when he’s in the middle of pummeling the bad guy takes a break in his pummeling and gives the bad guy enough time to recover and fight back?

Trunks’s explosion of anger is almost reminiscent to Goku’s explosion of anger when he transformed to a Super Saiyan for the first time. These so called Gods continue to be hypocrites. Trunks is blamed for putting all this in motion by going back in time and yet Goku Black fails to see what his disruption of time is doing.

There were a couple of funny moments: Goten’s “What the what?” when Goku’s body changed to Zamasu and Goku’s backwards punch to Zamasu. Very reminiscent to the Batman cartoons. 

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:53 PM, Sandman87 said:

I'm fairly sure that what we have here is some subtlety of language that didn't translate. The people who write the dubs give themselves fits trying to make that stuff work, especially when there's some sort of wordplay involved.

There are things that are hard or impossible to translate due to culture or wordplay but that scene was pretty cut and dry. Add on to the fact, other countries were able to translate this scene easily as a misunderstanding from Goku and Vegeta’s POV, this was just another example of bad Funimation dubbing. Funimation was notorious for this in the early 2000s with DBZ and sometimes DB. They have improved with DBZ Kai but still in Super this bad dubbing continues sometimes.

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Vegeta: Okay, you're both insanely powerful, so I'll let that go. (pointing to Zamasu) You made a wish to be invulnerable, right? You're a Kai, so I'm thinking you can do most of what you wanted. (pointing to Goku Black) And you're him, except you took Kakkarot's body for yourself.

Goku: Black: Your point?

Vegeta: I was wondering . . . why are you both here? Together? And not just in the sense of "both of you can't be here, the universe would unravel" or anything like that. And I got it.

Zamasu: And . . . ?

Vegeta: (smirking) You two fuck each other, don't you?

Given that hug between Goku Black and Zamasu I would not be shock this happens.

I keep expecting that before it is all said and done one of the two Zamasu's will switch his earring into the other ear and we'll get Zamasu Black². I hope one of our heroes at least attempts to remove Black's time ring. He did say it was what protected him from being eradicated by Beerus.

There was a lot of humor in this one. Much needed after last week.

Poor Turtle!!! He did not deserve to be Goku’s guinea pig. Where’s Oolong to finally be useful?

I’m with Krillin. I need a flow chart to understand all these different timelines.

Dang Bulma. No confidence in your husband? Granted she had a reason to feel that way given how Vegeta fought and Goku is usually the one to save the day but I’m on Vegeta’s side on this one.  

Gohan, you would’ve had an idea if you asked Trunks why he returned or realize there had to be an important reason for Trunks to return after all these years

Looking back, I was probably being mean springing that off the Goku Black/Zamasu hug. I think a better comparison would be Elwood Blues meeting his brother Jake at the start of The Blues Brothers. Same deal with GB&Z . . . only instead of "We're on a mission from God," it would be "We're gods on a mission."

(edited)

Apparently, Capsule Corp cam shrink down a garage. Or was that an airplane hangar? Kinda wish we knew more about Bulma and her family, as opposed to having shit dropped on us. "Hey, she's got a sister! Named Tights!!"

I'm thinking that if you wreck GB's Time Ring, maybe his protection ends, and he vanishes from existence because Beerus killed him? Good move blowing up the time machine at the beginning. Bad move for Goku leaving the magic urn in there. Gotta love Zamasu giving our heroes grief, as Vegeta ignores him to bitch out Goku.

ETA: Oh, and Vegeta blew up the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Sounds about right. Kinda wish Popo was the scary badass that Team Four Star makes him out to be in their abridgements.

Edited by Lantern7

When I saw Mai and crew with a gun, for a second I thought Black and Zamasu had a point about humans. Too stupid to live.

Speaking of stupid, well, stupid and arrogant, Vegeta had to blow up the time chamber? 

Goku did have a point. Where was he gonna hide the jar on him? But it was silly no one minimize the time machine as soon as they got out.

I did laugh how Bulma pulled that firehose out of nowhere. It reminds me of Ranma how there conveniently seems to be water everywhere.

(edited)
On 5/12/2018 at 9:46 PM, Lantern7 said:

I'm thinking that if you wreck GB's Time Ring, maybe his protection ends, and he vanishes from existence because Beerus killed him?

Yeah, that's what I figure is going to happen, but only after the current situation has been milked for maximum drama.

Edited by Sandman87

Well, this is a nice cliffhanger for the Memorial break. Future Trunks is right. Someone should’ve checked to make sure Goku brought the charm. Unfortunately this version of Goku is so absentminded it defies logic.  I didn’t think the containment wave would work. Color me surprise it would’ve had Goku brought the charm.

So did Bulma pretend to faint like ChiChi after her flirt fail?

And .. are the other Kais just spectators?

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, theatremouse said:

They need to stop screwing around trying to land punches/stab him/shoot him and just cut his damn finger off.

You know this show does not have our heroes use common sense against the villains 

Normally when characters merge, we do a portmanteau of their names (Goten + Trunks = Gotenks), but that won't work with Zamasu + Zamasu. You just get Zamasu again. Maybe do Black + Zamasu = Blamasu?

(edited)

So, basically, Zamasu + Goku Black = Zamasu. A really, really pious pain-in-the-ass Zamasu. But at least Trunks manages to kill him/them. And then I see the teaser for next week. It's never easy, is it? At least Trunks' Spirit Bomb Sword looked dope. And here's Team Four Star putting their spin on it, because G-Gundam is too awesome not to use.

ETA: Only one more episode in this arc! I like Future Trunks, but I'm ready to move on.
Edited by Lantern7

I think the bigger concern is that there's a time and place with two versions of Xeno hanging out. That would be really troubling for me. Yeah, the situation called for a Goku butt-pull, and I don't think anybody else had a better idea, but still. Two all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful beings. Basically, like inviting two Thanoses (Thanosi?) to your cookout.

Oh, and of course Young Trunks is smitten with Adult Mai. That was cute.

Why the random shots of Eighter, the guy from the original Dragon Ball resembling Frankenstein's Monster?

The arc started off great but it went too long and the ending was so underwhelming!! This was like bad fanfiction where the writers created a powerful supervillain, wrote themselves into a corner on how to deal with supervillain, then created a WTF ending as if telling us, “We know it’s shit but deal with it.” Last week would’ve been a better ending. 

Nice to see Gohan without the glasses. Is Gohan wearing glasses a spoof of the Clark Kent/Superman glasses idea?

9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Why the random shots of Eighter, the guy from the original Dragon Ball resembling Frankenstein's Monster?

I wonder if there were scenes edited it out for time that would explain Eighter and Turtle random shots. 

11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I thought that part was basically a montage of random reaction shots from random characters on Earth...so I took it as just a faintly amusing callback, like...hey this guy still exists and is among the people noticing what's happening.

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

I thought that part was basically a montage of random reaction shots from random characters on Earth...so I took it as just a faintly amusing callback, like...hey this guy still exists and is among the people noticing what's happening.

We also got similar shots in Dragon Ball Z during the Buu arc.

• Love 1

I thought it was funny, @Sandman87. Apparently, most of the gang is too dependent on Shenron. Seriously, Eighteen has been hooked up with Krillin for that long, and she doesn’t know what to get him? Roshi and Oolong are predictable. At least the pig can shapeshift these days. Can’t wait for him to start dressing like Mao again.

Man, Goku was thinking of King Kai for once, but everybody screwed him. Maybe if he didn’t set things up so close to Capsule. And King Kai was too harsh on him in the end. At least he wasn’t a prick like Beerus. Destroyed the gem and the time machine. Serves Bulma right, but still . . ,

• Love 2

So I assume Vegeta was on a training mission? Goku failing to revive King Kai and co will probably be a running gag for the remainder of the series. 

I don't blame King Kai. Goku did get him killed. He stayed dead to keep Goku company in the after life. Goku's revived, uses King Kai's planet as a playground. The least Goku can do is revive him. 

If I were the Dragon as soon as I see Goku and company I'm splitting up immediately. 

(edited)
17 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

So I assume Vegeta was on a training mission?

If I were the Dragon as soon as I see Goku and company I'm splitting up immediately. 

1. No, I think he's being saved for the next episode, as seen in the trailer below. I could see Goku reading Dr. Slump if he never met Arale way back in the day. He was probably an illiterate kid,  but the cartoons would have been fun for him to look at.

ETA: Vegeta in a suit. WHY?!? Can't wait to find out.

2. Another reason why I like the Team Four Star abridgements: Shenron is way over those people. "Oh, it's you guys. Who died?"

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

That was such filler-ey filler of filler. I can see how they were going for some slapstickey kinda whatever, but it was not remotely funny enough. I wonder if maybe the translation is partly to blame.

I did however appreciate when Bulma was like "um, you're idiots, I have $$$$$$$$, why would you wish for things I'm willing to BUY".

• Love 1

Doctor Slump crossover? Whatever. Silly filler. I notice that unlike every other anime character with in existence who has bangs, the kid's bangs aren't magically transparent to show her eyebrows. The bangs are parted over the eyebrows instead.

That's a scary invention to have. In the wrong hands, someone can wish for another Cell or Majin Boo. 

At least this filler was funny from Vegeta getting his ass kicked by Arale to Beerus needing to take a serious number two after eating a giant gumball. 

Note to self: Never hire Goku for security. 

I FAR preferred this filler to last week's filler. Don't get me wrong, not the best episode by any stretch, but this sort of ep is exactly what I was suggesting filler coulda shoulda woulda been after watching the previous ep.

• Love 2

Two good fillers in a row! Yamcha gets a win at last!!! But the shade thrown at him by 18 and Bulma was not needed. Gohan did play a little baseball in high school so I assumed he would know the rules at least. I am impressed Pan slept through all of that.

More filler! Battle of the universes on the baseball diamond! Also, a perfect way to remind fans that Yamcha is a humongous buttmonkey. The guy was good in the original Dragon Ball series . . . but then came the Saiyan invasion, and he went out like a bitch. And everyone remembered that. Check this out: Dead Yamcha is going to be a Funko Pop figure. So, of course, he gets to circle the bases in the most painful way possible . . . and he scores the game's sole run, ending up in the same position he originally died in.Great touch.

More filler. The destroyers decide to have a baseball game, with mostly predictable results. Kinda reminds me of the Bleach episode where the shinigami officers have a "friendly" game of karuta. Unexpectedly, Yamcha turns out to be the MVP. And Champa gets so ticked off that he forgets to eat.

Well, that’s a way to open the show. So, I’m guessing next week we get a flashback as to who placed the ordered hit on Goku and how Goku knew Hit was coming? Any guesses? Freeza from the 6th Universe? Whis to test Goku’s skills? Goku to test his skills? Monaka? While funny, I thought it was silly of Gohan and Goten to follow Goku around and not think Goku knew they were following him.

Piccolo’s a grill master? I challenge him against my brother’s grilling expertise.

39 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

And how did Goku know that Hit was coming after him? I'm betting that Goku hired him.

With what?!? Goku probably wouldn't know what zeni looked like without Chi Chi. Shit, she might pre-order her groceries, then send dumbass Goku to pick them up. Also, pray that he doesn't screw that up.

Assuming that they even know what a zeni is over in that universe, we just got done watching an episode where the moral was "let Bulma pay for it."

But very likely no zeni were involved. I expect that Goku just asked Wis to arrange it, since Hit lives over in that other universe and all.