Type keyword(s) to search

DC Comics/Hanna-Barbera

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

In case you haven't heard, DC Comics has been publishing comics featuring characters from Hanna-Barbera. Yes, they've been doing Scooby-Doo stuff for years, but they released four titles with a modern sensibility. Here's the rundown:

Scooby Apocalypse: The gang of misfits and an oversized dog meet up to face a zombie outbreak. Also, Scooby has a device that projects emoticons, which makes him communicate like the critters in Grant Morrison's We3.

Wacky Raceland: "What if Wacky Races was set in a Mad Max-style world? Also, the cars are sentient." This is a miniseries, and I think it just concluded.

The Flintstones: 21th Century take on our favorite Stone Age family and friends. I only got the first issue because it had a blank cover (which I got sketched), but I reckon this is the hit of the new line.

Future Quest: Remember the arc of episodes in Space Ghost where SG fought the Council of Doom, and he briefly met other heroes? Same concept, on a grander scale. This hinges on Jonny Quest and his family, and it's a fun read. So far, we've had heroes like Space Ghost, Birdman (not Michael Keaton or the Attorney-At-Law), Mightor, Dino-Boy, Buzz & Frankenstein Jr., and the Impossibles. Yes, the Impossibles. And there was a portal showing Shazzan, which I don't think will come of anything, but it's still a nice touch.

I just found out that DC will be publishing four HB-based annuals in 2017, teaming characters with DC Comics mainstays. The list: Green Lantern/Space Ghost (backup: Ruff and Reddy, which I'm not familiar with), Suicide Squad/Banana Splits (Snagglepuss), Adam Strange/Future Quest (Top Cat) and Booster Gold/The Flintstones (The Jetsons). In a word: damn.

This description of the backup story in Suicide Squad/Banana Splits is just the best.

Mark Russell brings his hilariously satirical style to this backup feature, where Snagglepuss is a Southern gothic playwright working with an ensemble cast of cultural figures, exploring an intensely creative time in the New York City theater scene of the 1950’s.

So, Snagglepuss is Tennessee Williams.  Whatever this is, it's the only thing I've ever wanted.

I'm familiar with Ruff & Reddy - they were HB's first made for TV cartoon (1957-58).  It was shown briefly on Boomerang a few years back.  I found it interesting but a bit tedious.  They were a dog and cat who were best buds who stumbled into various adventures.  IIRC, all eps were done in installments, the next episode picking up where the previous one left off.  I don't recall seeing it in syndication when I was a kid although just about everything else HB did from the Flintstones onward was.   It's interesting the upcoming comic seems to re-imagine them as nightclub entertainers - not unlike Martin & Lewis or Rowan & Martin.   

I've been reading Future Quest and definitely been enjoying it as well!  I had always wished the HB heroes got together for a huge "save the world" adventure, and for the most part, this comic delivers.  I do have some quibbles (adding an Impossible for the sake of "girl power", killing off Professor Conroy in favor of his wife in Frankenstein Jr.,  changing up Mightor - but at least they had a plausible explanation for it in universe) but it's been a fun ride so far.

I haven't seen too much of Scooby Apocalypse but I appreciate trying to change up things with the characters.  I'm not crazy about the character art though.

Edited by magicdog
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, Lantern7 said:

Jetsons (dark as FUCK, you guys. Logical, but damn)

I look at it like "What would Marie (Doris Roberts) do to make sure that she still is with Raymond forever and ever (and still bothering Debra)."

A super powerful multi-purpose robot who can definitely outshine (pun intended) the wife at home.

I'm surprised a sitcom writer hasn't come up with this premise yet.

On 4/5/2017 at 9:47 AM, Twilight Man said:

A super powerful multi-purpose robot who can definitely outshine (pun intended) the wife at home.

I'm surprised a sitcom writer hasn't come up with this premise yet.

The closest example I can think of is, "My Mother The Car".  At least the -mother's consciousness transplanted into an otherwise non living object to be near her son -  part.

Found this in DC's August solicitations:

FUTURE QUEST SHOWCASE #1

Written by JEFF PARKER • Art and cover by ARIEL OLIVETTI • Variant cover by STEVE RUDE

After the thrilling events of FUTURE QUEST, a new age of adventure begins! First up, Space Ghost and his young wards Jan and Jace team up with the Herculoids to rebuild the mighty Space Force. Will they rise again to become defenders of the galaxy? Or is there something lurking in the shadows ready to stop them for good?

On sale AUGUST 16 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

In other news, I got the first Flintstones trade paperback. Fun shit. It can be dreary, but you're guaranteed a few laughs. Also, the expression "punch you in the beef" never gets old.

Got Future Quest Showcase #1 today. Blank cover, so I can get a Space Ghost sketch at a con. Good stuff with Space Ghost dealing with his future, Jan & Jase (and Blip), and the Herculoids.

In other news, The Jetsons will be coming in November.

If you don't want to wait for the collection of the HB annuals, the backup story is in Booster Gold/Flintstones, which was a blast to read.

I heard about this one, and I'm not sure which is more insane, the concept or the artists on the book...

BLACK LIGHTNING/HONG KONG PHOOEY SPECIAL #1

Back from Viet Nam, kung fu master Hong Kong Phooey has set up his own detective agency in the inner city. Meanwhile, Jefferson Pierce (a.k.a. Black Lightning) has uncovered a plot by three assassins to collect the components of a sacred text revealing the darkest secrets of Martial Arts magic, and they’ll kill anyone who owns them—including the dog who holds the last chapter of the book, Hong Kong Phooey. Plus, a tale of the Funky Phantom as he goes toe-to-toe with the Spectre in a tale by Jeff Parker and Scott Kolins.

Art by: Bill Sienkiewicz, Denys Cowan

(edited)

I’m trying to remember the next wave of one-shots. I’ll check when I get home.

• Black Lightning & Hong Kong Phooey (back-up: Jason Blood meets the Funky Phantom)
  • Super Sons (Jon Kent and Damien Wayne) & Blue Falcon and Dynomutt
  • Aquaman and Jabberjaw (back-up: Spectre and the wizard Shazam meet Captain Caveman)
  • The Flash & Speed Buggy
Edited by Lantern7
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:52 PM, Lantern7 said:

DC/HB, Round Three! I might just have to pick up Deathstroke/Yogi. Holy fuck! in the best possible way.

I saw that on Twitter earlier and thought it was a joke post.  When I realized it wasn't I knew I had to get it.

Edited by BK1978