Type keyword(s) to search

Amaya Jiwe: She's A Vixen

• Start Topic

Amaya doesn't have a thread and she absolutely deserves one!  I think she's an excellent addition to the team and the character, her story, and transition have been handled really well.  My only issue is that she tends to have only one power when she invokes the amulet: strength, rather than a power specific to the animal she's calling on.  Be more specific, show!  Let her have a handful of animals she calls on for specific traits and then just rotate them if you don't want to think about it too much (eg, gorilla=strength, rhino=charging).

In Chicago, she did call on a dolphin to save Elliot Ness but that was a blink and miss moment so it barely counts.

As I said in the episode thread, I'm loving her new friendship with Mick and I'm eager to see what comes next.  I also enjoyed her opposite Sara and am certainly not opposed to seeing her pair with the other Legends on the missions but, so far, Mick is my favorite of her screen partners. 

• Love 4

From the Chicago Way episode thread:

On 12/10/2016 at 3:49 PM, Lady Calypso said:

It's hard to say now because Obsidian told Amaya that they haven't seen her since she left with the Legends in 1940s, so presumably she doesn't make it back, or she goes into hiding. So it's possible time was changed so there's no granddaughter Vixen. Maybe Vixen does go back to a time, but not 1940. Maybe she ends up being Mari's mother instead of grandmother. But I have not seen the animated series so I have no idea about what goes on there. 

In Season 1 of the animated series, it was established that Mari's early childhood was in Africa, her mother had the totem before her, and that she effectively came to the USA as a refugee of sorts (the African landscape depicted looked an awful lot like the Kenyan desert backcountry we saw in Survivor: Africa, many years ago).  So if Amaya winds up going to Africa to use the totem to help her ancestral Zambezi village, it would tie in perfectly.

11 hours ago, MarkHB said:

From the Chicago Way episode thread:

On 12/10/2016 at 3:49 PM, Lady Calypso said:

It's hard to say now because Obsidian told Amaya that they haven't seen her since she left with the Legends in 1940s, so presumably she doesn't make it back, or she goes into hiding. So it's possible time was changed so there's no granddaughter Vixen. Maybe Vixen does go back to a time, but not 1940. Maybe she ends up being Mari's mother instead of grandmother. But I have not seen the animated series so I have no idea about what goes on there. 

In Season 1 of the animated series, it was established that Mari's early childhood was in Africa, her mother had the totem before her, and that she effectively came to the USA as a refugee of sorts (the African landscape depicted looked an awful lot like the Kenyan desert backcountry we saw in Survivor: Africa, many years ago).  So if Amaya winds up going to Africa to use the totem to help her ancestral Zambezi village, it would tie in perfectly.

What if Amaya goes back to her time period, and returns to her village, already pregnant with a fellow Wave Rider's child?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse

Amaya going back to Africa after her stint with the Legends would explain her not going back to JSA. She did tell Sara about feeling guilty about not helping out her village after she joined the JSA in episode 3. 

30 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

What if Amaya goes back to her time period, and returns to her village, already pregnant with a fellow Wave Rider's child?

Then you get this...

4359343-theflash110-12973.jpg

Edited by MarkHB
OK, grandfather. It's funnier the way I did it and besides I'm supposed to be working!
  • Love 3

I love Amaya, but I think we don't see enough of her. I have the feeling she is sidelined and I really hope they won't give her romance story line.

I honestly want to see more friendship development between her and Sara, like they are showing between Ray and Nate.

Writing for women has always been the biggest issue with all these CWDC shows. All they know how to do is write them as love interests or talking about love interests. I truly believe the only reason Sara is different because they write her more like a male character that happens to be a woman. The rest of the female characters on all the shows don't get that treatment. The Flash is the worst offender at that. Vixen has so much potential and she should be spending her time with Sara not with Mick. She's from a time where women were pushed in the background and couldn't be in leadership positions. Now she's on a team from her future with a female Captain. A Captain that's whole deal is fighting for woman that are being oppressed by men. 

We have so much focus on on Bromances that I'm getting sick of it. Women can be friends with other women and with men. I was hoping to see more bonding with Mick and Sara since it's not based in romance it's based in respect. Give me a mission with Sara, Amaya and Mick. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Writing for women has always been the biggest issue with all these CWDC shows. All they know how to do is write them as love interests or talking about love interests. I truly believe the only reason Sara is different because they write her more like a male character that happens to be a woman. The rest of the female characters on all the shows don't get that treatment. The Flash is the worst offender at that. Vixen has so much potential and she should be spending her time with Sara not with Mick. She's from a time where women were pushed in the background and couldn't be in leadership positions. Now she's on a team from her future with a female Captain. A Captain that's whole deal is fighting for woman that are being oppressed by men. 

We have so much focus on on Bromances that I'm getting sick of it. Women can be friends with other women and with men. I was hoping to see more bonding with Mick and Sara since it's not based in romance it's based in respect. Give me a mission with Sara, Amaya and Mick. 

Sara and Amaya did go off to drink together at the conclusion of the crossover.  I don't think they're showing us all their bonding moments, but perhaps they should show more.

2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

The writing for women has always been the biggest issue with all these CWDC shows. All they know how to do is write them as love interests or talking about love interests. I truly believe the only reason Sara is different because they write her more like a male character that happens to be a woman. The rest of the female characters on all the shows don't get that treatment. The Flash is the worst offender at that. Vixen has so much potential and she should be spending her time with Sara not with Mick. She's from a time where women were pushed in the background and couldn't be in leadership positions. Now she's on a team from her future with a female Captain. A Captain that's whole deal is fighting for woman that are being oppressed by men. 

I have nob issue With a romance between Mick And Amaya; other than that, im Completely on board with some feminist bonding with Sara and Amaya.

(Please excuse typos; my Phone browser Randomly sends me typing into the quote And wont Let me edit When i Get back.)

Edited by Miss Dee
Futile attempt to fix the English language.
  • Love 2

Maisie Richardson-Sellers is only 24, if Amaya is around the same age she has plenty of time to have a child. Nate told his grandfather that his father was born in 1952. That's 10 years after the Legends met the JSA. 

I liked how Amaya and Sara seemed to be pitted against each other (in a civil kind of way) because they have different ideas of teamwork and leadership. 

In the Vixen cartoon Vixen can fly if she channels a bird. Do we think that our Vixen could do that too, in theory?

I'd love for Sara to give everyone actual job titles and make Amaya second in command.

Bonus points if Ray and Nate start comparing everyone to Star Trek characters as she does it.

On 5/12/2017 at 11:11 AM, tofutan said:

In the Vixen cartoon Vixen can fly if she channels a bird. Do we think that our Vixen could do that too, in theory?

Absolutely, if they're able to borrow Supergirl's green screen :) .

• Love 1