Type keyword(s) to search

LGBT & Politics

As long as situations like North Carolina's Bathroom Bill exist, there's more to talk about here.

Even Gay Marriage is not necessarily safe, because the first thing a Trump White House would do is start submitting Supreme Court justices who would reverse it.

Discuss.

2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Shepherd Smith of FOX News has just come out as gay.

And Fox hasn't fired him yet?

Okay, I take that back. They're okay with pet gay Conservatives, who will profess to being gay, but be against everything else "leftish" (including gay marriage). 

• Love 3

They've always held of Megyn "Santa Claus is White" Kelly as the standard bearer for the idea that some of the Fox hosts can be decent people.  She's definitely improved her image during this election, and I imagine once she jumps ship to CNN and is free of the daily marching orders Fox makes its hosts emphasize, she'll be a lot more, ahem, fair and balanced.

But honestly, even in a glass closet, Shep was the only who struck me as a fundamentally decent person.

It is kind of nice that between him, Rachel Maddow, Thomas Roberts, and Anderson Cooper, all three networks have an openly gay anchor.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, starri said:

They've always held of Megyn "Santa Claus is White" Kelly as the standard bearer for the idea that some of the Fox hosts can be decent people.  She's definitely improved her image during this election, and I imagine once she jumps ship to CNN and is free of the daily marching orders Fox makes its hosts emphasize, she'll be a lot more, ahem, fair and balanced.

It's probably not fair to characterize her by that one thing. I don't know if she's ever apologized/gone back on it, but listening back to it recently and TRYING to be a little more understanding, I took away the impression that the filter she laid upon it was more a lame attempt to question political correctness than anything else. What she missed at the time (and likely would never acknowledge) is that this is a fictional character, ergo he can be ANY color, because he's NOT REAL. There's no historical personage to tie his color to. However in my mind/argument I think she was somehow connecting him up to Jesus (who admittedly was probably BROWN, of an indeterminate in-between shade, but who has been so classically wrongly defined as super-Anglo looking that it's now lame conventional thinking). 

Mostly what Kelly has proved is that she actually CAN think on her feet. She's not fond of empty unchallenged rhetoric, which is a good thing.

Two years ago, David Pakman was talking about Shepherd Smith being gay and some theories about why he was still on Faux/Fux

Has his sexuality really been a rumor that long? I mean I didn't think it was like Anderson Cooper, where everybody always knew, LONG before he said anything.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I did a search on YT for Shepherd Smith and Gay, and that video from two years ago came up.   I happen to subscribe to David Pakman's channel, so that one stood out for me.  I don't ever watch faux news, and really didn't know anything about him myself.  In the video, the speculation towards the end was that Smith knew something damaging about Roger Ailes, and that was why he was allowed to be the voice of sanity.   I thought that part was fortelling the future.

9 hours ago, starri said:

But honestly, even in a glass closet, Shep was the only who struck me as a fundamentally decent person.

It is kind of nice that between him, Rachel Maddow, Thomas Roberts, and Anderson Cooper, all three networks have an openly gay anchor.

Add Don Lemon and Steve Kornacki to that last.

• Love 2

I'm still pissed that my community's issues have been sidelined during this campaign because the media doesn't give a shit about us and I'll add reproductive choice and climate change to that list.

• Love 7
(edited)
42 minutes ago, maraleia said:

I'm still pissed that my community's issues have been sidelined during this campaign because the media doesn't give a shit about us and I'll add reproductive choice and climate change to that list.

It's funny (not "funny ha ha" but rather "hey, isn't it odd nobody's saying anything).

My gut instinct is that Trump personally is more indifferent to LGBT than hostile.  He's said many times that states should decide (which is code talk for not banning it, but not constitutionally protecting it either), but left to his own devices without a party looking over his shoulder I doubt he'd do much either way. He's got bigger fish to fry. Stuffing his own pockets, harassing female interns (probably worse than Bill Clinton ever did), and whatever other bullshit he'd pull while in office.

He's exactly the kind of fat old white hetero privileged guy who calls people "f***" when he thinks nobody is recording ("locker room talk" like disrespecting women), who assumes every gay guy knows fashion and talks with a lisp, and every gay woman dresses like a lumberjack, and who, if I'm being honest, despite that probably doesn't actually give a hoot if gays have or don't have marriage, but takes a position because he feels he has to. He's probably uncomfortable being in the same bathroom as a Transgender person though (although it's really unclear how often Donald Trump shares a bathroom with ANYONE else).

Why am I being as "kind" as I am above for the crazy orange Dictator in Waiting?

Because I think Trump is more dangerous to the world and America in general than to the LGBT community. Except (and this is a BIG exception.. a YOOOGE one to use his terms), for what he's going to do to The Supreme Court. 

Trump may blow the tits off the world soon enough by angering foreign leaders, using his thin-skin to take away due process, or utilizing our Military power in horrible ways. But lets say he doesn't do any of that. Let's say what we're all scared of doesn't come to pass. He gets elected and mostly does nothing for four years.

Well if he has a Republican Senate to back him he's still going to appoint Supreme Court justices.

Again, based on little but general feeling and gut, I don't think he's more than a casual homophobe, but Trump's Court appointments are going to be straight down the line Republican approved.... no matter how "out" he is with that party now.

If it came to pass? Gay marriage would go bye bye soon enough. As would abortion. Bathroom bill type situations would make their way to the Court and also be upheld. Gun control would be shot down not just in Congress but in the Supreme Court.

Disaster.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 7

My gut instinct is that Trump personally is more indifferent to LGBT than hostile

My gut instinct agrees with you, but then I wonder if there's plenty of gay-flavored hate in him, but it just doesn't come out in the same boiling rage as his racism and sexism do. As in, he would be content to let Mike Pence to "deal with all things domestic" and shrug when, oh well, gay rights get rolled right back to the Stone Ages. No big deal. Not my issue, really. 

Honestly, though, of all the Repub candidates, I honestly expected the least level of outright homophobia from Trump and it wasn't my first concern when he was nominated, whereas, with any of the others, they were only too eager to appease their "compassionate conservative" hearts by denying that gay people have actual rights and deserve equality in terms of the law, where it counts, not only a moment of silence or prayers and a denial that homophobia had nothing to do with the Orlando shooting.

Anyway, I'm grateful that particular spigot of hate has never been opened to see what comes out of him...

• Love 3
(edited)

Trump Bizarrely Displays Rainbow Flag Declaring ‘LGBT For Trump’ At Rally

GGvN04p.jpg

A gay Trump supporter who might as well be named "Nutty McSelfhater", but is actually called Chris Barron, tweeted...

https://twitter.com/ChrisRBarron/status/793070427442667521

Trump made history last night. MSM wants to pretend it didn't happen. He's the most pro-LGBT Pres candidate ever nominated by either party

CwGNWNfXEAAzP23.jpg

Edited by Lisin
Removed twitter embed
1 hour ago, maraleia said:

He was holding the flag upside down and that's how much he "cares" about my LGBTQ community. Screw him.

To be "fair", the jackass who wrote the slogan on the flag wrote it with that orientation. 

That said... there are likely a thousand other points we can attack Trump on when it comes to LGBTQ issues.

• Love 2

I haven't been in this thread, though it's one of the things I care most about. I have been throwing most of my time, money, and energy at the presidential and down-ballot races because of the repercussions (SCOTUS, for one). But here in Massachusetts, we were able to finally pass a transgender equality bill that the opposition then managed to get on the 2018 ballot. So as soon as this election cycle is over, that's going to be my focus. I was raised (cisgender het woman) to be an ally and was very involved in the marriage equality fight. I'm in this (at least) until sexual orientation and gender identity are added to federal anti-discrimination law. Really glad we have this thread and expect to be here more after Nov 8th. 

• Love 2

As I reported in another thread, an avowed white supremacist is running robocalls to Utah voters telling them that Even McMullin is a closet homosexual.  Apparently because his mother is married to a woman, and because he is unmarried and doesn't have a girlfriend, and therefore that's proof.

McMullin was a Trump delegate to the Republican convention.

• Love 1