Type keyword(s) to search

Luke Alvez: Dog Lover, Door Kicker

Willowy
  • Start Topic

I love the scene where he asks his dog which shirt he should wear!I think they have did better introducing him than they did Lewis, but I like Lewis too.

Prentiss is a cat person, Alvez is a dog person. I wonder how this will turn out...

• Love 3

I already liked him, they didn't have to show him being adorable with a dog!

Wait, scratch that. Show that as often as possible, please.

I've always loved Adam Rodriguez, and his addition to the cast made me start watching Criminal Minds again, after several years (well, his addition plus Paget being made a regular). So far, Luke seems nice and jovial and I appreciate that. I think he's fitting in well, and I certainly enjoy watching him.

• Love 4

I like Alvez, I liked him almost immediately. With characters/actors there is this weird thing, sometimes you like them from minute 1(that's what has happened with Alvez),sometimes you have to learn how to like them (it has happened with Rossi , for me,and it happened with Blake too).

And this week, after the scenes with his dog, I liked him even more. I even enjoyed the part when he is standing behind Prentiss as she profiles him,I know, it's been done at least one hundred times, but this time I liked the scene!! 

I think he will fit well into the team, if he hasn't already, let's hope they stop making Garcia behave awkardly around him as soon as possible. 

There is only a small "but" and it has to do with his name, which everybody is pronouncing wrong: they say Alvez with the stress on the second syllable and it should be Álvez with the stress on the first part. (By the way, Emily said it right in the scene I mentioned above). I know it's a very small thing, but everytime I hear it, it sounds so weird.   

Edited by senin
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, senin said:

I like Alvez, I liked him almost immediately. With characters/actors there is this weird thing, sometimes you like them from minute 1(that's what has happened with Alvez),sometimes you have to learn how to like them (it has happened with Rossi , for me,and it happened with Blake too).

And this week, after the scenes with his dog, I liked him even more. I even enjoyed the part when he is standing behind Prentiss as she profiles him,I know, it's been done at least one hundred times, but this time I liked the scene!! 

I think he will fit well into the team, if he hasn't already, let's hope they stop making Garcia behave awkwardly around him as soon as possible. 

There is only a small "but" and it has to do with his name, which everybody is pronouncing wrong: they say Alvez with the stress on the second syllable and it should be Álvez with the stress on the first part. (By the way, Emily said it right in the scene I mentioned above). I know it's a very small thing, but everytime I hear it, it sounds so weird.   

In the US people don't always pronounce names properly. There is a Rodriguez family in my area (they've been here for a few generations) and the locals pronounce their names as "Roadrigger".  Some names get butchered even worse.

I never even noticed which syllable was being stressed when they were saying his name though.

• Love 1

But I guess that happens a lot, no matter what language.

I remember when Gerard Butler said he prefers being called Jerry because many people mispronounce his name.

Although there are things really irritating. I regret the day I tried The man in the iron mask in English.... only one actor said D'artagnan properly! I have never tried another dramatization of The three musketeers again. 

And there is always  "the Ñ issue" xP

Edited by smoker

I like Alvez and feel that he is a good addition.  Then again, I like the actor so that helps.  I also have faith that the show can write good characters and has done a fabulous job of introducing new characters. Emily and Rossi have become favorites and they were introduced into an established cast.

Re: Roxy.  I was taking the "man with dog" scenes as just a basic sympathetic "man loves animals" characterization, however after his request for Emily not to mention that he was in the 75th in Iraq, I'm wondering if they could be going for a service/therapy dog angle.  While I don't think every character needs a hook or past drama to make them interesting, I do feel that it would be a very realistic backstory to give him.  And one that is too often just used as a weakness/trigger/illness, rather than a issue that people face and live with on a daily basis.

ETA: Goes to show that I should read the episode thread first!  I see the service/military dog theory was mentioned there!  Great minds and all, I suppose.

Edited by Partly

As to the pronunciation of Alvez, is it possible that in Spain it's pronounced AL-vez, but in Latin American countries it's pronounced Al-VEZ, or even Al-BEZ? (Not claiming expertise, just asking)

Edited by normasm
38 minutes ago, normasm said:

As to the pronunciation of Alvez, is it possible that in Spain it's pronounced AL-vez, but in Latin American countries it's pronounced Al-VEZ, or even Al-BEZ? (Not claiming expertise, just asking)

I don't think so, but as I'm not sure, I'll try to find out, now I feel curious about it.

As for the B/V  you are absolutely right, in Spanish the distinction between the two sounds was lost long ago, it's one of our problems when learning other languages. 

Editing to add two ideas which I forgot yesterday:

Last episode I noticed that Alvez was doing some things as Morgan would have done them: the way of driving, his way of protecting and caring about JJ. I didn't like it at first, then I thought that it's quite "natural" that he plays that role in the team. 

And  I  have problems understanding him. I have to pay a lot of attention to what he says, or I miss half of the things he says. I guess it'll take some time to get used to his voice, way of speaking... so a new challenge for me here, great!!

Edited by senin
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

I was wondering whether it's AL vez or ALL vez.... I assumed it was AL vez, but Reid called him ALL vez the other night. So, is it a regional preference?

Sometimes I think it's a matter of ability. Some actors are better with other languages.

It should be Álvez

I hope that helps you :)

Edited by smoker
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, smoker said:

Sometimes I think it's a matter of ability. Some actors are better with other languages.

It should be Álvez

I hope that helps you :)

The accent over the 'A' just tells you where the emphasis is, no? Not the actual sound the 'A' would make?

Whether the A is pronounced like in 'Albert', or like in 'fall' is probably more dependent on the actor, and some people may not even realize the distinction, but I don't think it has to do with their skill at languages - it's very common for surnames to be pronounced in an Anglicized way, rather than however they should be pronounced in the native language.

• Love 2

yeah, secnarf, that's what  I was asking about. Not which syllable gets the emphasis, just whether it's al, short a sound or all like awl. Hence, is it a regional preference/learning. MGG said Awl vez, PB said Al vez. And I was just wondering whether it mattered.

Didn't mean to make a big international case about it.......

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, secnarf said:
36 minutes ago, secnarf said:

The accent over the 'A' just tells you where the emphasis is, no? Not the actual sound the 'A' would make?

Whether the A is pronounced like in 'Albert', or like in 'fall' is probably more dependent on the actor, and some people may not even realize the distinction, but I don't think it has to do with their skill at languages - it's very common for surnames to be pronounced in an Anglicized way, rather than however they should be pronounced in the native language.

I have to agree with this. My last name, despite being an "easy" one, is NEVER pronounced the way it truly is supposed to be. I've gotten so used to it, that when I DO hear it pronounced correctly, it's jarring. It's a Native American name, but everyone pronounces it anglicized.

I doubt it has anything to do with an actor's ability at other languages.  Also, as the character is new, there could have been some discrepancy amongst TPTB of how exactly to pronounce it. I did have a laugh a few weeks ago when the BAU went to the Luray Caverns-and NONE of them pronounced "Luray"  correctly, as someone who has been there many times, it was funny. Oh well.

• Love 1

We're taking a course in phonetics, here!!

The "correct" way to pronounce Álvez would be: with an A sound (similar to the one in Albert, as secnarf said ) , the v sound like a b, because we don't make any difference between the two sounds in Spanish, and the stress in the first syllable. 

I didn't pay much attention last week, was to busy enjoying the episode, but I seem to remember that Prentiss and Rossi are the ones that pronounce it better. 

About names being pronounced in a different way: a friend of mine lived in the States for a couple of years. At the beginning she pronounced her name the "Spanish way" and was always asked to spell it. She got tired of it and started pronouncing it the "American " way... problem solved!! 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ReidFan said:

yeah, secnarf, that's what  I was asking about. Not which syllable gets the emphasis, just whether it's al, short a sound or all like awl. Hence, is it a regional preference/learning. MGG said Awl vez, PB said Al vez. And I was just wondering whether it mattered.

Didn't mean to make a big international case about it.......

I didn't get what you were asking for then, sorry

And I don't think it matters. Although it's cool when something can be differentiated. I heard Kim Coates speaking Spanish once... Let's say he shouldn't try again :S

2 hours ago, senin said:

We're taking a course in phonetics, here!!

The "correct" way to pronounce Álvez would be: with an A sound (similar to the one in Albert, as secnarf said ) , the v sound like a b, because we don't make any difference between the two sounds in Spanish, and the stress in the first syllable. 

I didn't pay much attention last week, was to busy enjoying the episode, but I seem to remember that Prentiss and Rossi are the ones that pronounce it better. 

About names being pronounced in a different way: a friend of mine lived in the States for a couple of years. At the beginning she pronounced her name the "Spanish way" and was always asked to spell it. She got tired of it and started pronouncing it the "American " way... problem solved!! 

Gerard Butler had that problem too, he told in an interview he asked to be called Gerry to make things easier

• Love 1

Al-bez, then, OK! I love learning proper pronunciation. I am Southern, and although I try to speak with a neutral accent (for reasons I won't go into here), I'm sure I don't fool everyone. Pronouncing one or two words with the correct accent and emphasis is much easier than speaking spanish phrases, of course, but i like to be able to at least hear things correctly.

• Love 2

I liked him on CSI:Miami and I like him here. He's got this nice laid back but authoritative attitude that says "I'll be your best friend but I can also be your worst enemy".

I wish they would play more to his comedic sensibilities because I think Adam Rodriguez would be perfect for that role. Having said that, I actually enjoy his banter with Garcia- they have a natural chemistry, because Rodriguez's smooth delivery contrasts with Garcia's over the top delivery- and I wish we'd get some more scenes of him with Reid because I figure those two work well together.

• Love 1

But CM is not a comedy show, and a lot of the bits of comic relief they've tacked on in the past have been dreadful, IMO. Yes, it makes sense to have light-hearted moments to try to relieve the serious and sometimes horrific storylines, but the slapstick stuff they've had (the lame bookends in Rabid, for instance) is out of place.

I do agree that Rodriguez has a nice, relaxed quality i hope they tap into a bit more, just maybe not only with Garcia, please? Could he try to lift Prentiss's spirits, maybe? Or introduce Roxy to Reid (if he ever gets out of jail) to disprove the Reid Effect? I am glad they seem to have steered away from the foreboding storyline that he is traumatized by what happened to his partner. Let there be at least one team member without a "troubled past."

• Love 2

I agree, Norm.  I'd like to see Alvez's chemistry with others on the team.  I loved that he went to Mexico with Prentiss and Rossi to see Spencer, and I loved that moment when Spencer realized he was being extradited to the US and Luke put his hand on his back and they walked out together.  I'd like to see what sort of friendship those two would hammer out.  But Garcia and UST (complete with banter) with the designated team muscle?  No more, please.  I enjoyed, usually, her dynamic with Morgan.  But Morgan is gone.  Let's see something else and let Luke be his own person, not just Morgan 2.0.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm probably one of the few people who did not like that Tabula Rasa courtroom scene. To me, that was bully Hotch, and I was surprised the judge didn't call him out for it.   It might have felt good, but it was just a pissing contest. 

Sorry--wrong thread!

Edited by JMO
Wrong thread
  • Love 1

Count me in among those who like Alvez.  I miss the heck out of Morgan, but I've enjoyed Alvez so far in the episodes I've watched.  Plus he's a dog lover.  I can't hate that.  :D

7 hours ago, JMO said:

I'm probably one of the few people who did not like that Tabula Rasa courtroom scene. To me, that was bully Hotch, and I was surprised the judge didn't call him out for it.   It might have felt good, but it was just a pissing contest. 

Sorry--wrong thread!

See, I loved it! And if anyone was the bully, it was that lawyer. He had an air of hubris about him. Little man syndrome. 

• Love 2

I'm not saying we turn CM into a comedy (although I actually think these writers are not bad at writing it), but if the writers come up with a zinger or a clever observation, have Alvez say it.

I also picture him eating a sub every time he talks. I don't know why.

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't stand Alvez. And even more for me is the fact I read that when he started, just after he had his wisdom teeth out and he looked even more jowly, someone said he looked like a hamster. Now I can't see anything else!! I know that's a little mean but I didn't care for Alvez beyond that.

Edited by Old Dog
(edited)

Ooh, neat :)! 

Hm. I'll go for the obvious-I guess I'd be curious to know what kind(s) of storyline(s) they have planned for his character next season (depending on how much he's able to share, that is), or at the very least, what aspects of his character he'd like to see explored further next season. 

And it'd be fun to hear about what parts of the job he's most enjoying thus far as well. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 1