Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Legends

Sam Patch becomes America's first daredevil; Marilyn Monroe and Ella Fitzgerald form a lasting friendship; Buster Keaton takes his talents to the big screen.

Featuring: Kyle Mooney as Sam Patch; Gabourey Sidibe as Ella Fitzgerald; Juno Temple as Marilyn Monroe;  Tony Hale as Buster Keaton; and Billie Joe Armstrong as Charlie Chaplin.

Retellers: Nick Rutherford on Sam Patch; Tymberlee Hill on Ella Fitzgerald and Marilyn Monroe; and Patrick Walsh on Buster Keaton

I wish I could figure out what's gone wrong this year.  It's just been dull as hell.  The stories either aren't interesting or aren't well written/rehearsed, and the drunk readers and re-enactors don't seem to be putting anything into it.  It just happens and it's over.

• Love 2

I'm not sure what's wrong either. It almost seems like the narrators are trying too hard or getting too drunk. It all seems too self-aware.

I also think there's too much time spent on the interstitial stuff, if I'm using that word right. I have absolutely no interest in hearing Derek talk to whoever is with him getting drunk.

As far as the stories go, I didn't know about Sam Patch, but there wasn't really that much to the story. The one about Ella Fitzgerald and Marilyn Monroe was completely new to me and quite interesting. I thought the two actresses did a good job. It was funny when they looked at the camera, waiting, while the narrator stumbled on words. The Buster Keaton one was ok. I love Keaton. I didn't think though that his career got back on track after his disaster with MGM. 

I don't know how much longer I'll watch this show.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I also think there's too much time spent on the interstitial stuff, if I'm using that word right.

Actually, I think this is one change for the better this season (not that they're getting much advantage out of it). They seem to actually be spending less time on interstitial stuff now -- no visits to a local bar or walking the dog before they settle in, or lame introductory stuff like that. But I agree -- the retellings themselves seem perfunctory and unrewarding.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'm not sure what's wrong either. It almost seems like the narrators are trying too hard or getting too drunk. It all seems too self-aware.

I also think there's too much time spent on the interstitial stuff, if I'm using that word right. I have absolutely no interest in hearing Derek talk to whoever is with him getting drunk.

As far as the stories go, I didn't know about Sam Patch, but there wasn't really that much to the story. The one about Ella Fitzgerald and Marilyn Monroe was completely new to me and quite interesting. I thought the two actresses did a good job. It was funny when they looked at the camera, waiting, while the narrator stumbled on words. The Buster Keaton one was ok. I love Keaton. I didn't think though that his career got back on track after his disaster with MGM. 

I don't know how much longer I'll watch this show.

I thought Keaton deserved a better telling, especially toward the end when the Patrick Walsh started doing schtick about Keaton's Oscar speech.

Also Walsh and Rutherford both seemed a little hostile at points? Maybe that was supposed to funny, didn't work for me.

I'm hoping that these couple of episodes are not representative of the whole season.  It's hard to tell what's missing from the formula--maybe it is that the storytellers are kind of dull, and they seem interchangeable.  I did get a chuckle when they said: "You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life".

Edited by cynicat

I thought this was a pretty good episode, loved the telling of the Marilyn Monroe/Ella Fitzgerald story--Gabourey rocked that role.

And Kyle Mooney and Nick Rutherford together again--just needed Beck to make it a Good Neighbor reunion.

• Love 2

I thought this was a big improvement over last week. I knew the Keaton story but the other 2 were new to me, and I thought I knew all about Niagara daredevils, and I used to live near the Genesee river. The Ella-Marilyn story was the best and I laughed out loud when they were looking at the camera as the narrator forgot how to pronounce Monroe.

Derek Waters leaves me cold, so the less of him the better, both talking to the narrators and being in every story (or so it feels).

• Love 1

I have to give Derek credit this week, for getting the guy back on track after he got locked in about the bear's name. 

The woman for the Monroe piece was kind of all over the place. I was put off when she said she puked before they even started. I mean, I have too, sometimes it gets away from you, but this is a gig. Yes, you have to be drunk, but get a handle on it. I applaud the actors in the piece though. They brought it. 

Tony Hale was great. 

I don't mind the interstitial interludes, but with only 21 minutes, you have to be judicious. 

I'd really like a behind the scenes feature of how they do the show. It's got to super hard for the actors to act the way the narrator is talking. 

Edited by ganesh