Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Continual Soiree

Just how dark does this show plan to get? Because, for me anyway, it is starting to be a grind rather than a pleasure.

What I liked: Sweet Travis(who knew?); Cady, calling Walt out for what a shitheel he's being to her.

What was too cringeworthy: the trial. I could barely stand to watch it. The guy on trial and his group of crazies are overwhelming, and I'm way too tense these days to find it intriguing. (I do love the actor though, and have enjoyed him in other shows, this character just gives me the heebee jeebees.

I'm starting to dislike watching Walt almost as much as the cult leader. He's all sensitive and supportive to Vic as she testifies about a trauma that happened a while back, but his daughter gets a shrug because she doesn't agree with him. Then he accuses Henry, his oldest friend. They're still playing it so Walt's obsessive theories about Nighthorse could be right, but if they turn out to be, I just might hurl the remote control.

Ugh. Even when he's right (Henry), he's completely unlikeable at this point.

Edited by Clanstarling
Because it's Travis, not Billy (different show)
  • Love 1

Walt's going off the deep end this season; he'd better snap out of it soon, or have a curable brain tumor or something. I hope the lawsuit isn't going to hang around as a cliffhanger into another season. Where are all Walt's friends, who believe in him?

I loved this episode. It was full of strong acting performances and drama. The highlight was Walt finally realizing that Henry was Hector and getting into a fight with him. Honestly, I was rooting for Henry to pummel him. 

We saw Walt at his worse, totally blinded by his obsession with Jacob. He grills his daughter about Nighthorse who he sees as the threat even as the real one is right in front of him. His low point was grilling Cady about Jacob and Henry even as he ignores her emotional trauma from the shooting. I loved Cady standing up to him and telling him off. 

Then there is Vic struggling with PTSD as she is grilled on the stand by her attacker and is dealing with her pregnancy. Katee Sackoff was very good.  While I appreciate Travis is trying to do the right thing, he annoys me as much as he does Vic. I wonder if the original plan was to have him in the running as a possible father. It feels like the story was setting up Vic with Eammon previously. Maybe the actor playing Eammon became unavailable so they expanded Travis' role.

Last episode, I was surprised as Vic to discover that Walt still thought that she was still involved with Eammon. I think that knowing that they weren't, lowered Walt's defenses which is why he was being so supportive and thoughtful towards Vic. 

The Mathias and Henry and Henry and Jacob intrigues are so good. I love these actors working together. Their characters are so compelling with the tension between them.

I really like the actor playing David, Walt's lawyer. David is so entertaining calling out Walt's ridiculous attitude and overall behavior. He is like the Greek Chorus.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4