Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Celebrity Cheat Meals

The celebrity recruits put their culinary knowledge to the test in a game of food and pop-culture related trivia. Afterwards, Anne Burrell and Rachael Ray demonstrate their own versions of the ultimate comfort food, chicken and waffles, which their teams must replicate exactly. The least successful recruits go head-to-head in a high-stakes butchering challenge.

I agree with Snarkle - seeing that chicken being mutilated over and over was off-putting.

Does this show have a director and an editor?  It was a chaotic hot mess - and not just the cooking.  Old cable access shows looked far more professional.  I didn't know who was doing what, and didn't care.

I'd have given up, but I like to come here and snark.  Based on the dearth of responses 24 hours later, I'd wager many others bailed.

• Love 2

When Rachel started cracking up at the thermometers, I found that laughter infectious. That seems like the genuine scenario this show wants and so rarely achieves.

I also thought Anne did a good job encouraging Mindy through the butchering, though I'm not clear why since she's on Rachel's team.

• Love 3

I did love how encouraging and kind Anne was to Mindy, reminding her that hey, you just learned this...and it's so true. She only just saw it from an instructional point of view, and straight-out-the-gate, attempted it.  Good on her and what nervous conditions to attempt it under.

• Love 2

Mutilated chicken or no, I'm hanging in there to the end this season just because I like some of the contestants like Nicole Sullivan and John Henson.

Plus I haven't mentioned this but it looks like Anne lost a little weight this season.  She looks good, if orange.

The Situation has just gotten so puffy faced and gross it's almost as hard to watch him as the mutilated chicken.  I agree with whoever said "steroids".

On 10/14/2016 at 1:28 AM, spiderpig said:

Does this show have a director and an editor?  It was a chaotic hot mess - and not just the cooking.  Old cable access shows looked far more professional.  I didn't know who was doing what, and didn't care.

I'd have given up, but I like to come here and snark.  Based on the dearth of responses 24 hours later, I'd wager many others bailed.

I actually thought last season was worse as far as "chaotic hot mess" goes, but this one is getting there weekly.

• Love 1
On 10/17/2016 at 11:39 AM, Jeffurry said:

Mindy Cohn said on a podcast that she had had an awful experience on this show, but I thought she came off really well. I LedOL at her "the food of my people" line.

That's worth looking into. Alison Rosen's podcast is the most visible one so I assumet hat's what you meant and I did find a relevant segment.

11 hours ago, califred said:

Thanks for the heads up on the podcast.  I really want to know if she couldn't stand Rachel or Anne. 

Yes, but she wasn't specific which.  If you want to listen yourself they get into it around 54:30 and only talk for about 2 minutes. It's from August so she wouldn't have been asked about anything we've seen. But here are some quotes:

It was my first foray into reality shows, which I will never do again, because I had PTSD after.

I had nothing good to say.

It has nothing to do with Food Network; they are stellar.

It's about one of the hosts who is a great network star that they will protect in editing.

If I give away the reason I did the show you'll know the other person.

For what it's worth (maybe not a lot), my guess is Rachael Ray.  I have heard several times that she is really difficult to work with and not at all like she comes across on her shows which could lead to "protecting" her.  I think Anne, like her or not, is who she appears to be, not a phony.  Also, FN didn't seem to have any problem airing her temper tantrum on Chopped - over and over.  They didn't protect her.

• Love 3

Yes, it was Alison Rosen's podcast. Thanks, I couldn't remember her name and I had never listened to her before.

It was my first foray into reality shows, which I will never do again, because I had PTSD after.

I love Mindy Cohn but it wasn't her first foray into reality shows, unless she doesn't count What Not to Wear.

Edited by Jeffurry
  • Love 1