Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: The Game Begins

• Start Topic

That was an insane flash challenge! It even took me aback and I normally don't give a shit. None of the canvases tapped out but that must have been a hellish 7 hours for them. I guess the teams met about their designs overnight at the house? That could have been an interesting conversation to see, and I wonder if Peck and Nunez participated.

I agreed with the criticisms of both works -- that the horses were too static and the warrior/angel pieces weren't well composed individually. Wonder if Dave's going to be the deciding factor every episode? I didn't agree with his decision but it realistically could have gone either way. In general those tattoos were miles better than most we've seen at the beginning of the show.

Witchy huntresses? No joke, Dave Robinowitz. From his talking heads to far, I think I might love him.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

Based on his problem with women who take the lead and the previews from next week, I hope that punk from Team Peck goes next week. It really looked like his team was up for elimination next time. I would be happy to see the door hit that big mouth in the ass. 

So, if your team wins, you can't have the best tattoo of the week. Interesting. 

Not impressed with Tito based on his on-air work. Even when Nunez was comparing him and Carolyn, I wasn't terribly impressed with either of them. And his work this week sucked.  I don't think hers was bad, but it was obvious that she was cannon fodder.  Whatever. 

Kelly and Nikki kicked ass. I really like how supportive Nikki was of Carolyn. It's cool to see a woman artist being supportive and strong instead of being an asshole like Sarah Miller or a sex kitten like fucking Tatu Baby. 

• Love 5

I really like that Dave says, "For the Flash Challenge, my choice is going to be based strictly on the challenge directive."  As always:  yay, Dave.

For the Elimination, there's not going to be any pretense that "worst tattoo of the night goes home."  They even showed side-by-side comparisons of Tito's and Carolyn's earlier work from the selection process!  It's refreshing they're going to be honest about that instead of Peck and Nunez making up bogus arguments and lying through their teeth.  (See, every past season.)  If they kick out the weakest competitor from among the worst of the challenge pieces, I can live with that.

Sorry, Carolyn.  You might not have had the worst Medusa, but your bluster was not convincing and the xx factor never helps.

Edited by candall
  • Love 4

Funniest thing all night was assface Nunez talking about how much it hurt him to have to criticize folks on his own team and why.  It's amazing, isn't it?  How when you actually talk to people, you get to know them, and then you realize they're actual people with actual feelings and suddenly it's not so easy to be a massive dick to them for no particular reason.  Congratulations, Nunez, on finally reaching a junior-high level of emotional awareness!

Edited by Rancide
  • Love 6

Thinking about the stallion back pieces again, I would have liked to hear the reasoning behind the team's choice of composition, and especially whether Nunez had any input. Most triptychs present a unified image, which in this case would have been something like horse facing right, horse facing left, and middle horse fairly straight on.

Dave putting so much emphasis on the fucking blue line running through all three winning pieces was silly. The blue may have tied the three tattoos together (in a very minor way), but I would argue that it didn't figure in to the overall composition, which was the brief.

I also didn't think the tattoo with the square border was as bad as the judges were making it out to be. The snakes looked like snakes at least. Threatener Tito or whatever his name is had the worst one of the night imo.

• Love 2

I also didn't think the tattoo with the square border was as bad as the judges were making it out to be. The snakes looked like snakes at least.

I liked it--it looked well done to me. I think a gradual fading would have looked better, though I wasn't totally bothered by by the sharp edge. I don't get why Chris said that it looks like the snake was coming out of her temple as if it's a bad thing; she has snakes for hair, and some hair comes from temples, so what's the problem?

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, lordonia said:

Thinking about the stallion back pieces again, I would have liked to hear the reasoning behind the team's choice of composition, and especially whether Nunez had any input. Most triptychs present a unified image, which in this case would have been something like horse facing right, horse facing left, and middle horse fairly straight on.

Dave putting so much emphasis on the fucking blue line running through all three winning pieces was silly. The blue may have tied the three tattoos together (in a very minor way), but I would argue that it didn't figure in to the overall composition, which was the brief.

I also didn't think the tattoo with the square border was as bad as the judges were making it out to be. The snakes looked like snakes at least. Threatener Tito or whatever his name is had the worst one of the night imo.

See, I didn't think it was the blue line, even though Dave kept mentioning it--I could only find it on one piece.  I think it was exactly what you pointed out about designing a cohesive "triptych."  The horses were good art, but you could have put any one of the men in the middle and it wouldn't have made the slightest difference.

Nunez was hilarious complaining about the central figure on Peck's team being "off-center" when his people had no discernible center at all. Even the biggest piece, that covered the most skin, and might arguably have been the "centerpiece"--was on the side.

It was nuts to do three figures and make them all face left.

• Love 4

It was notable that the guy from Nunez's team corrected Peck's artist who had placed his template on the arm facing the wrong way. I know he had ulterior motives but it was nice to see a bit of human-ish interaction nonetheless.

• Love 4
On 8/31/2016 at 10:16 AM, lordonia said:

That team of canvases was made up of policemen and The Thin Blue Line (as Dave correctly referred to it) is the universal designation for cops. I am a retired game warden and we use The Thin Green Line designation, which I have tattooed on my wrist with my officer number. So it was a cool way to tie the three pieces together with something that means a lot to those three canvases. Dave probably should have explained it so that it didn't sound so ridiculous.

So exactly how is Tito going to make everyone pay for putting him up for elimination? Beat inktestants up? Be an even bigger dick around the pool table? How about shut up and tattoo a little bit better. A lot better.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 6

Tito's was the worst of the elimination tattoos imo, but I wouldn't argue against their choice. If they're concerned Carolyn might botch another one, I don't mind them using portfolio's for early eliminations; maybe saving a future canvas from getting screwed (though really, there's no saving them on this show).

• Love 2