Type keyword(s) to search

The Refugee Olympic Team

Kromm

NBC just ran a nice story about the refugee team. Hearing some of their stories and the obstacles they've overcome is mindblowing. It's such a testament to the human spirit and I'm so happy for all of them that they're able to compete and have been so warmly received by the fans and other athletes. I will be sure to watch their competitions.

This is nitpicky but why is the word refugee in quotation marks?  This seems to suggest they aren't real refugees and I know no one here actually believes that.

I need to check the schedule to see when they are competing so I can watch.  I hope NBC airs all of their competitions but I doubt they will.

(edited)
4 hours ago, Shaynaa said:

This is nitpicky but why is the word refugee in quotation marks?  This seems to suggest they aren't real refugees and I know no one here actually believes that.

I need to check the schedule to see when they are competing so I can watch.  I hope NBC airs all of their competitions but I doubt they will.

Because I don't think it's the official name of the team. I still don't know what the official name is.  "Refugee" sounds to informal to me for a bunch of stuffed shirts like the IOC to be using it.  But more properly, to convey that I probably should have cited the thread title as "The Refugee Team", with all words in quotation marks.

EDIT - I looked the other day and couldn't find anything confirming the name. Now I've found at least one link which suggests the official name exactly is "Refugee Olympic Team".  Which is unexpected.  It's such a loaded term I really thought they'd have conveyed it another way in an official name.

EDIT 2 - Stupid me. The article I originally linked even SAYS its the official name. I guess I read that too fast the other day and just slapped the link down.  Or I saw the acronym "ROT" and didn't think they'd dare use a name that winds up as "ROT" for folks in this situation.  Really I don't recall but looking at the thing about "ROT" right now, that's the first thing that came to mind.

Edited by Kromm
(edited)
6 minutes ago, selkie said:

The name was selected because it's loaded and the IOC wanted to send a message about the value found in people that no country really wanted to take in.

Given that the IOC are both corrupt and cowards in most ways, that's why I'm surprised.  I really expected it to be something like "Unaffiliated Athletes" or some such nonsense, and that the Refugee Olympic Team thing was just the media interpolating. In fact, the article I quoted even SAYS it's the official name, and I guess I just blasted past that line when reading it the first time.

I hereby give agreement that anyone who can edit thread titles here should definitely edit the title, so it reads The Refugee Olympic Team.

Edited by Kromm
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:45 AM, Superpole2000 said:

I'm cheering for the Refugee Team, if only because I have a small lingering hope that if one of them wins a gold medal, they will play a Fugees song for their anthem.

Wouldn't Tom Petty be more apropos?

-----

The IOC had TONS of people to could have been added to the team in the rowing/swimming/boating comps?

All they had to do was pick some of the people in the Mediterranean coming out of Libya?