Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: Papa's Cabin

Lisin
  • Start Topic

From IMDB: "Keith, as Acting Sheriff, investigates Dean O'Dell's death more aggressively. Veronica teams with Tim to confirm Landry's alibi - and then to track down him and Mrs O'Dell when they both disappear."

Veronica teaming with Lucky Tim is fun for me. Because she's just so much better than he is and I like that aspect. I also love seeing Keith as Sheriff. Looking back on this episode from the end it is really admirable that Landry tells Veronica he doesn't want the investigation to interfere in their student/teacher relationship. He's a stand up guy right until he "accidentally" murders someone... Veronica busting Lucky Tim in front of the whole class is great. She's the best.

Onto the bad. Logan gets Veronica's permission to ask Parker out. He seems to really like her and I hate it.

• Love 1

What strikes me upon this rewatch is how carefully Veronica is listening to "Lucky Tim" talk about Landry murdering the dean when he slips up.  Every time I watch that scene, I'm amazed at how well done it is.  That's an intense scene in the classroom, and they both play it really well.  I love watching the realization pass over Veronica's face and the panic flood Tim's.  Masterful.

Ugh, Logan and Parker.  Ugh, Parker.

• Love 3

Yeah, the classroom scene is great, especially the slow oh-shit-I-guess-Tim-probably-did-it realization as he's speechifying even though I hadn't figured out the actual reason Veronica could figure it out. He's so arrogant that he's really pulled off the perfect murder (one-upping Veronica by using her paper but at one level back), he can't help but show off and it gets him caught.

• Love 1

Your Parker hate gives me life, guys.

You can't avoid dating overlap on most TV shows, so it's not that I think they should stick to the Girl Code or Bro Code. But those are cliches for a reason--because those feelings are pretty universal. So, in fiction, how the Interloper and Ex treat this situation will affect how I feel about them. And I hate the way both Parker and Logan handle this, because it feels like they both put it on Veronica to make it OK for them. When in reality, they both know she's not comfortable with it and that it does have potential to hurt her. In Logan's defense, Veronica broke up with him, so the onus is really on her to let him go. But he asks her permission anyway, and it should be obvious to him that she's lying when she says it's fine.

As for Parker: she knows Veronica is avoiding her for this specific reason. So she basically corners V into giving the polite, kind response, and that is a crappy move, if Parker actually cares about her as a friend. I don't think she does. I think she shows here that she would choose the chance to date Logan over staying friends with Veronica, if it came down to it.

• Love 2
As for Parker: she knows Veronica is avoiding her for this specific reason. So she basically corners V into giving the polite, kind response, and that is a crappy move, if Parker actually cares about her as a friend. I don't think she does. I think she shows here that she would choose the chance to date Logan over staying friends with Veronica, if it came down to it.

I totally agree, I almost take it as Parker knows it's not good to have Veronica pissed off at you so she'd rather be overly polite and put it on Veronica to be OK with it because technically she and Logan did the "right" thing by asking permission. I think Parker is going by the book so that if Veronica is hurt or angry it's in theory not Parker's fault because "hey, we got permission" and it's crap. Parker is the WORST. 

I'm almost surprised Veronica didn't latch onto Tim earlier, since someone was bugging Landry's phone and it wasn't him or the Dean's wife.  It was pretty stupid of Tim to play that message for Veronica.  He also should have let the class talk about the murder, or ask questions, not go on a monologue that was bound to trip him up.  He knows Veronica is smart.

I knew Parker and Logan wouldn't work, and Parker should have figured that out.

I'm almost surprised Veronica didn't latch onto Tim earlier, since someone was bugging Landry's phone and it wasn't him or the Dean's wife.  It was pretty stupid of Tim to play that message for Veronica.  He also should have let the class talk about the murder, or ask questions, not go on a monologue that was bound to trip him up.  He knows Veronica is smart.

Late to the party, but I just rewatched this episode and I think the kicker was probably Tim's joke to Veronica about picking up his dry cleaning. I think he could have at least avoided detection right then and there--though Veronica was bound to realize it later--if he hadn't done such a perfect impression of Hank asking Tim to pick up dry cleaning. Everything about that joke (the familiarity with Landry's voice, the level of disdain for someone he presumably adored) was a misstep, because it not only told Veronica that Tim had obviously had access to Hank's clothes, but also that he didn't really respect him as much as he pretended to. Considering his rapid turn-around from "We have to rescue Professor Landry!" to "That guy is a real nutsack, amirite" it was clear his undoing was already in motion, as he unknowingly noted.

Also, Tim tried to dismiss the recording, but Veronica played it herself. I guess he tried to play dumb as to the nature of bugs ("does it have a serial number or something?") but yes, his own arrogance/indignant attitude was his fatal flaw. You can see when he takes off his jacket in the class that he's feeling like he's finally getting his big shot, the chance that he earned and would have had if Hank hadn't been such a big meanie. He's trying to channel the devil-may-care attitude he's seen for however long he's been working as a TA, and he's probably got Eye of the Tiger playing in his head at this point. To me, that makes it even more satisfying when he's found out.

The scene in the lecture hall was mesmerizing, yes. But once you've been tipped to the guilty party and think it through, Tim's plan is about as airtight as a spaghetti strainer. 

Still enjoyed the acting. Jamie Ray Newman was a terrific noir dame, and the guy who played Landry was really good at threading the needle. James Jordan also great.

At least once per episode it crosses my mind that the actors on this show, whether regulars, recurring, or just random dorm residents with 4 lines, must really appreciate not having to dumb themselves down for the writing. Virtually everyone gets to be a little smart or complex or both. It's refreshing.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2014 at 9:21 AM, Lisin said:

Onto the bad. Logan gets Veronica's permission to ask Parker out. He seems to really like her and I hate it.

I don't necessarily ship Logan and Veronica the way others do, but this annoyed me. It is the type of request that is meant to make the asker feel better. What is Veronica going to say? She can't exactly say no.