Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Any Sum Within Reason

After the dust settled, Cullen and Mei consummated their love again. Her joy was short-lived with the arrival of General Lee and his Sze Yup entourage seeking name of the white assassin responsible for Chang's death. Bohannon held his nerve and diverted attention to a white phantom killer previously in town with a few corpses on his belt.

If only Mei were stronger and believed in Cullen as much as he has come to love her. There was no need to stay in her place as a demure Asian woman with the Southern rebel at her side. After all Bohannon did for Mei, and her father before her, she took it upon herself to return to China as the most honorable course of action. Cullen hasn't gotten a break in the love and family department in quite some time.

Was Mei Cullen's final chance at happiness given his age and typical life expectancy of the era? Was it a reasonable expectation that Mei would hide in his room while criminal henchmen placed bounty notes and searched for her? Her decision might turn out to be a mistake. Tune in next week and see what happens.

(edited)

I have to agree with whoever said there is no sexual chemistry between Mei and Cullen. Throughout their love-making, he kept glaring at her. When he said, "I love you," he looked like he was just about to puke. I think the actor is going for intensity, but it comes off looking like - to me - disgust! Really, I don't know if it's the fact that his leg is keeping him in constant pain or if he's just sick and tired in general, but this whole season so far he looks like he's just fed up with everything and everybody.

I did enjoy the scene where he shoots up all of Chang's bad guys while Mei watches from inside. Like after the ordeal of bringing the Swede to justice, he's done pussyfooting around. He's accepted that he is just a straight-up murderous guy. I kept waiting for him to say to her: Everybody I love dies, so you should skeedaddle, missy. Him pretending he can keep her safe, which is a big joke of course.

When he confessed to Mei that he had owned slaves, I guess that was supposed to be a big moment, but I don't know what it meant. She kept telling him he is a good man. Is he? Is that the whole point of this stupid show? 

Edited by lidarose9

Railroad Men:  When the race to finish the railroad comes down to mere inches, all parties find themselves pondering the end of the line and what the future has in store for them.

Done:  Government hearings, incalculable actions and the golden spike breed new beginnings and endings for those left standing.

I would not be surprised if Mei was Cullens last chance at happiness. Im just not sure the writers want him to have any. I find it somewhat ironic that despite the violent life Cullen has led Mei is the one with with a price on her head.

(edited)

wow........ I guess this is why girls got married so young back than..

the life expectancy in the United States between 1860 and 1865 continued its decline from the previous three decades. Between 1860 and 1864 the average American citizen would live for 40.5 years, and between 1865 and 1869, it dropped to 40.0 years

Edited by canthaltilt

But I wonder how much that takes into account the many infants who died in childbirth, and small children who died from various diseases.  Those factors would certainly drive down the average.

Women died during childbirth frequently. Also, we've cured some of the diseases that were once fatal. 

I read that parents wouldn't name their children for one or two years, waiting to see if they survived that long. 

(edited)

I refuse to believe they're just going to let Bohannon rot alone at the end...  like Durant.. after watching for 5 straight years that would be some stinky shit.

as long as Mei is still alive there's still hope..

Edited by kre8
  • Love 1

If they were trying to show Cullen and Durant as part of the old/past and two leopards who couldn't change their spots, while others were growing and looking to the future, I might be able to get on board with that, if they hadn't killed off almost everyone else.  There's no one left to look forward to the future because they are either miserable or dead.

• Love 3
(edited)

well.. they killed his wife.....  they killed lily...  they killed Ruth..  Naomi left him...   and now Mei leaves... unwillingly but still... 

I highly doubt they're going to have him find a brand new love in 2 episodes.. its Mei or bust at this point.....

it would probably take at least 2 weeks to sail to China from San Francisco back than...  so I doubt we'll be seeing her character in person anymore in America these last 2 episodes unless they show her in China..

I suppose there's still a chance he will just board a ship at the end for China holding the tea box and note after selling off all his railroad shares and not giving a fuq....

Edited by canthaltilt
(edited)

One of the major ideas addressed this season is that anyone who gets close to Cullen will die. To be fair, his track record in love and friendship is covered in blood, but in this episode Cullen comes to the realization that he was the one who let those close to him go.

“Any Sum Within Reason” gives us several wonderful moments between Cullen and Mei alone, together. Cullen figures out the main problem with the relationships in his life, but both of them also admit to the other that they love each other.

But these moments between Cullen and Mei also seem to explain his actions in this episode and other recent installments too. Mei tells Cullen that he is good, something he’s clearly been struggling with for years. He’s still worried about letting Mei know that he once owned slaves, even though he’s apologized and felt terrible about this for years. Even when he’s kind to a person, he feels the need to come clean to that person in every way, almost like he’s giving them any information they might be able to use to dislike him and make him feel like the bad guy.

These scenes also slightly explain Cullen’s more straightforward way of dealing with problems. In the past, his actions have been informed by hatred, anger or a sense of protection. As he’s protected Mei from Chang this episode, it’s out of love and caring for someone that he wants close to him.

After realizing that he’s the one who lets the people in his life leave him, Mei leaves Cullen behind, sailing on a boat back to China. The tragedy of this moment is that Cullen had just dealt with the Sze Yup (who Chang worked for) and smoothed things out as much as he could, in regards to Mei and Chang’s murder. His problems involving his latest love were over, but then Mei protected Cullen and herself the only way she thought she could.

Now that Cullen has found someone he admits he loves and knows that Mei leaving was not his fault, it will be interesting to see how this relationship continues in the final two episodes. Will Cullen go after Mei once the railroad is finished, or will he go before that and actually put their love ahead of the railroad? Or, will he do what he’s done in the past and just let her go? I’d imagine since he’s apparently learned from his mistakes, it’s only a matter of time before Cullen is on his own boat to China.

Edited by kre8

Only two episodes left to sort out the remaining storylines not to mention finishing the railroad. Time is running out for Cullen too I think. He appears to be in his mid 40s. Thats quite an age for a man back then. Hes had a harsh life. It looks like its starting to catch up with him.

(edited)

40 wouldn't be old back than... Its never been mentioned about his age in the show but it doesn't seem like he would be considered old if Mei is wanting to have a family with him..

If people made it past infancy back than and into their 40's+ then they could live to 70.. if they made it to 60 then they could live 70+

789.jpg

Edited by kre8
  • Love 1

In that Q&A I don't get why the actress who played Mei was saying things like "I was trying to figure out why she didn’t just take her dad’s money and leave before Cullen came back, but I guess maybe she was always holding onto hope that he would come back."

When clearly she would already have known the answer to that since she filmed all the other episodes past that one already and to the end...

sounds like she was trying to play dumb on purpose

(edited)

I am sure the Chinese general knew that Bohannon did it but didn't really care because he said that the man killed was "just a pimp" and that the pressure was off basically. Of course, Mei couldn't have known that would be the reaction.

Mei is not bright though. I wanted their relationship to work and maybe it still will in the end but......   she left. WTF? Even after Cullen told her "You don't leave this room until I get back"......   She showed nothing but selfishness throughout the time she was there. She didn't listen to her father. She did whatever she wanted even though people were warning her of the dangers of her actions. She constantly put herself and others in real danger. Cullen warned her not to involve herself with him. She ignored him and pushed and pushed. Then he frees her by killing for her and she leaves him to go back to where?... to China? with nothing but a note left in her native tongue to explain to him?

Didn't she leave China under bad conditions? Now she went back?  Even though she left, that still doesn't mean shes safe. She is going back to a country that is ran by gangs and would consider her property.

not much sense made here

Edited by canthaltilt
  • Love 1
(edited)

I cheered when Cullen shot Chang.  I guess Chang didn't get the memo.  He can abuse women, and his own people, but he can't cross a white man and live.

Kind of like it actually was back then.

I thought Cullen's Terminator scene was clearly foreshadowed when he warned Chang to not underestimate (or whatever word he used) Cullen. The camera work made a visual "dun, dun, dunnnnnnnnn" and I wondered if that meant Cullen would shoot Chang in cold blood. Yes, the shoot out outside was a bit far fetched but I'll take it over another Swede cockroach story.

There are so many holes in HoW now, but damn it if I don't feel for Cullen and the horrors he has lived through nevertheless.

Edited by Ottis
Brevity
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think Mei left because she thought it would be more dangerous for her and Cullen if she stayed. She talked of a "safe place" to go to. I assume thats where she went. She knew Cullen wouldnt go because the railroad wasnt finished.

Edited by JWalker
(edited)
45 minutes ago, JWalker said:

I think Mei left because she thought it would be more dangerous for her and Cullen if she stayed. She talked of a "safe place" to go to. I assume thats where she went. She knew Cullen wouldnt go because the railroad wasnt finished.

so she couldn't wait a few days for it to be finished?  =D

That safe place she was talking about was in China.. A reverend baker is there she said who taught her father some stuff.. she said that was safe from the gangsters

She told that to changs wife when they returned to town telling her to leave for there

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by canthaltilt
(edited)

In the series' penultimate episode, airing on Saturday, July 16 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on AMC, the race to finish the railroad comes down to inches, forcing all parties to contemplate the end of the line and what the future holds for them.

When the race to finish the railroad comes down to mere inches, all parties find themselves pondering the end of the line and what the future has in store for them

I assume we'll find out in the next episode if Cullen starts pondering a trip to China....

Edited by canthaltilt
(edited)

I have a gut feeling they wont bring Mei back and might even kill off Cullen at the end....  what a depressing, despicable show with sadistic writers. 

Edited by kre8
13 minutes ago, kre8 said:

I have a gut feeling they wont bring Mei back and might even kill off Cullen at the end....  what a depressing, despicable show with sadistic writers. 

Reminds me of that scene in the movie The Mummy - "Everyone else we've met up with has died, so why not you."

(edited)

the last episode was pretty depressing.. It's still haunting me a bit a few days later....  I don't think I'll watch this show anymore.. I am pretty sure I know how it will end anyway.. in a depressing way. Why would that change at this point?

No reason to keep watching a show when its only purpose seems to be to constantly depress the viewers. Are they stupid or something.. the majority of viewers would actually want some happy ending for Cullen yet they continue to just drag him through the mud

1 hour ago, TigerLynx said:

Reminds me of that scene in the movie The Mummy - "Everyone else we've met up with has died, so why not you."

Edited by kre8
(edited)

its been like that pretty much from the start..  same with lily..  they finally got her and Cullen together then just ripped it all apart..  Making Cullen suffer has been the theme from the start.. not sure if they'll actually change that at the very end but it wouldn't hurt anything if they did..

Cullen did not cause any of the trouble surrounding Mei. She brought the trouble onto herself after being found out to be female. He did everything he could to protect her and was protecting her yet she left anyway thinking that her leaving would protect Cullen and herself.

Why do the writers still feel the need to drag Cullen through the dirt with only 2 episodes left and even when in this instance - he did nothing wrong.

Depressing show.

Edited by canthaltilt

It seemed to me that part of the point of this episode was Cullen admitting to Mei and himself that it wasn't that he'd lost everyone he ever loved, but that he let them go. But now with Mei it's different, that cycle is breaking, he went after her and brought her back. So when I saw her leave at the end I did not see this as a definitive end to their relationship. Rather, in order to break his cycle, he will probably go after her after the railroad is finished. He won't let her go this time.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I hope you're right.

I also hope that he cleans himself up, shaves, and gets a haircut before he goes after her.

It was an age of beards from President Grant down, unless he was trying to be like a Chinese native

(edited)

well only 1 day left then we'll see in what direction they're going.. the next episode is titled Railroad men.. so I assume the majority of it will be them working on the railroad..  but the description also says: When the race to finish the railroad comes down to mere inches, all parties find themselves pondering the end of the line and what the future has in store for them.

So there may be some clues on how it will end for Cullen as he ponders

Edited by canthaltilt
10 hours ago, Raja said:

It was an age of beards from President Grant down, unless he was trying to be like a Chinese native

No.  Not all men had long, raggedy beards.  Durant was clean-shaven and even the men who had beards, like Mickey, didn't look raggedy like Cullen's.

(edited)

based on this Q&A with Mei 4 days ago it seems like her character role was over with the last episode......

http://www.amc.com/shows/hell-on-wheels/talk/2016/07/hell-on-wheels-qa-angela-zhou-mei

She wouldn't know the ending since she wouldn't be given the scripts to the last 2 episodes if she had no acting roles in them so I suppose its still possible they can simply have Cullen sail off to China in the end........   but something tells me that aint gonna happen......

Prepare for the worst...  batten the hatches

Edited by canthaltilt
(edited)

Well he sure isn't going to find any new love in the next two episodes..  so its either Mei he goes after or nobody in that regard..

and if it's nobody then what exactly would they show him doing after its all done?  continue working on the railroad? no....  riding off into the sunset ? no.....  show him old and grey and alone? I doubt it.. they did that with Durant already...

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up dying somehow in the end.  I may not even bother watching the last episode and just read about it the next day to see how tragic it was.

Of course she wouldn't be able to let on or reveal anything about the last 2 episodes if she did have a role in them still......but I doubt it..

He was shown overcoming his relationship issues.. and realizing his faults... trying to keep mei around..   It just seems strange to me that the writers would choose to kind of start saving him in the last episode only to destroy him in the very end. 

However, Bohannon is a fictional character.. so is Mei.....    so they can do whatever they want. With that being the case they've got no reason for him to not ride off into the sunset as winning something.

Edited by canthaltilt

When you really think about... it seems that Mei left to save herself rather than Cullen...  because there's no way she could have known what would have happened to Cullen in regards to his shooting all those people.. she didn't know that he was off the hook for that because she already left.. For all she knew they could have arrested him on the spot when he went to meet with the general...

Either its just bad writing or she was looking out only for herself..

23 hours ago, kre8 said:

the last episode was pretty depressing.. It's still haunting me a bit a few days later....  I don't think I'll watch this show anymore.. I am pretty sure I know how it will end anyway.. in a depressing way. Why would that change at this point?

No reason to keep watching a show when its only purpose seems to be to constantly depress the viewers. Are they stupid or something.. the majority of viewers would actually want some happy ending for Cullen yet they continue to just drag him through the mud

It's Hell, remember?

• Love 1
(edited)

I can see a few errors in her interpretation of what was going on towards the end of the last episode...  I guess just because you're reading a script doesn't mean you understand what's going on..   this guy seems to have seen it too.

5 hours ago, canthaltilt said:

based on this Q&A with Mei 4 days ago it seems like her character role was over with the last episode......

http://www.amc.com/shows/hell-on-wheels/talk/2016/07/hell-on-wheels-qa-angela-zhou-mei

She wouldn't know the ending since she wouldn't be given the scripts to the last 2 episodes if she had no acting roles in them so I suppose its still possible they can simply have Cullen sail off to China in the end........   but something tells me that aint gonna happen......

Prepare for the worst...  batten the hatches

yu.jpg

Edited by 4i48