Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Home

Maggie turns to a man from her past, Dr. Eric Ward, now working for the NIH, for answers to Arcadia’s mystery. She insists Ward is there as a friend, but Bellamy is suspicious of any outsiders. Rachael’s secret falls into the wrong hands. In the wake of recent events, Pastor Tom and Bellamy try to reassure Arcadians they have nothing to fear from the returned, but some residents have other ideas.

The nosy busybody/church council member kind of forgot two important points during her little speech -- the fact that Rachel was pregnant BEFORE she died and this happened before he became pastor and before he was married, and there is no proof that the baby is Pastor Tom's. 

The way she stated things it make it sound like Tom banged Rachel (thereby cheating on his wife) and knocked her up in the 3-4 days since she returned to Arcadia (since it has only been a week since Bellamy arrived in Arcadia).  That's not exactly what happened, but If they believe her version, he comes off looking pretty bad.

I find it hard to believe that one of the sheriff's deputies would be in on abducting Rachel for whatever Nate's intentions are.  Rachel doesn't know either of them, so why did they abduct her ? Rachel should have been on the phone to the sheriff before she took the deputy's word and got into a car with him.  She's a bit of an idiot.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

OMG I wanted to SCREAM. I put my finger on what really, really bugs about this show: we are constantly being asked to ignore the premise. Because I do not believe for one second that anybody, no matter how moralistic, would confuse adultery with a previous relationship with a woman who LATER DIED. I am not Christian so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Christianity depend on resurrection? This felt soooo contrived. And what kind of church was it? Does everyone in town go to it? Are there no Catholics or Baptists, let alone Jews, there?

The whole "townspeople are afraid of the miracle people" feels contrived and actually insulting to people in small town America who are not DUMB. They have internet and cable TV there too.

And after the narrow-minded weirdness at the church, Henry decides to stay "home?" Why? Why? Why?

I am hate-watching. This show sucks.

• Love 2

Erm, everyone on this show is a bit of an idiot, as far as that goes.

The only reason I'm watching is for Jacob and his family, I like them. (So far).

We spent most of this episode following the storyline of the doctor calling in her mad scientist BF, only to have Jacob's parents decide not to go. Fascinating. Also, the latitude minus the number of years the 'returnees' have been dead divided by something or other=38? Wha-? Not 42!?

Sorry to see A.Cartwright wasted this way, I thought she used to be a good actress.

• Love 2

I'm not sure what the one dude expect the Sheriff to do since Caleb literally disappeared.  What exactly can he do?  And even if he wanted the sheriff to work day and night, the guy would need some caffeine to keep going.  I loved that someone at the church pointed out that his cousin (the one that Caleb killed) was no angel.

The nosy busybody/church council member kind of forgot two important points during her little speech -- the fact that Rachel was pregnant BEFORE she died and this happened before he became pastor and before he was married, and there is no proof that the baby is Pastor Tom's. 

The way she stated things it make it sound like Tom banged Rachel (thereby cheating on his wife) and knocked her up in the 3-4 days since she returned to Arcadia (since it has only been a week since Bellamy arrived in Arcadia).  That's not exactly what happened, but If they believe her version, he comes off looking pretty bad.

Thank you! I kept trying to figure out how this was some nefarious thing. It's not like he cheated on his wife or anything. But the rest of the church doesn't know that (yet).

And speaking of Rachel and Tom and everything. I did like how Tom's wife was questioning how God could bring Rachel and the others back while denying her and Tom a child. But I didn't like the end where she was all concerned that Tom was still in love with her. It's not like it was a normal break or anything and he was still pining after her. Rachel came back from the dead! 12 years later! And she's pregnant. Give him a moment to process.

• Love 1

First rule of being a female. Never let a man you don't know take you away from the original place he approaches you. And if you are stupid enough to get in the car because he looks all official, when the complete stranger who is not "official", gets into the back seat, you unhook that seatbelt, bolt from the car and run, making as much noise as possible. Duh. 

• Love 5

I don't think they will wrap it up, there will be a cliff hanger for season 2.  Isn't this show getting good ratings? I assume it will be renewed.

I actually like the show, getting past the idiocy of some of the chracters.

I just downloaded the audio book, it's not even close to what the show is ,interestingly enough. The show is sure taking its liberties.

I was really, really hoping that this show would be great.  I would even have taken good.  But it's just terrible.  Those random numbers the visiting doctor friend was pulling out of thin air?  Ridiculous.  There's still no hint about why these people are returning.  And I'm tired of watching religious nuts and rednecks telling 'facts'.  These people are incredibly stupid and unlikable.  They're not even entertaining, or at least hot to look at! 

So far, not much to recommend this show.  I may give it one more episode, but I'm probably going to give up on it.  Shame, because the premise sounded really good.  I have to say, I was also incredibly disappointed in the book, so I'm not surprised the TV show turned out to be so bad. 

3 points of major stupidity stood out for me:

Bellamy saying "You can't trust the Feds." Dude, you work for ICE, who routinely lose paperwork, deny visas, etc etc. If anything, it's you we can't trust!

Ward figures out how to determine the latitude of a returnee (to within 70 miles) but without the longitude as well, you still have up to 69,000 miles to search. Neither Maggie or Bellamy even mention this.

Tom's wife even seeing Helen. Girl, I get that you're mad, but that bitka threatened to kick your husband (and you) to the curb for being nice to Jacob. If there's anyone she trusts, it won't be Helen. Moreover, I can kind of retcon how Helen found the hotel Rachel was at, much less the room, it took me out of the scene when it happened.

jhlipton, while I agree that there was nothing about Helen's persona that conveyed manipulative bully, there are people who do have that talent. However, usually they are in positions of authority (not to say all, or even many bosses are like that) and as far as we know, Helen doesn't have any supervisory credentials beyond de facto ruling the church board. Hmmm...maybe that explains why she doesn't have a more credible power monger persona: She is only a full time church meddler and has no paying job.