Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Three-Two-One

As the city erupts in violence over an impending jury verdict, the night shift becomes ground zero when they have to take in the man suspected of the racially-motivated shooting at the source of the unrest. His presence in the emergency room sparks sharp conversation and disagreements among the staff over the highly-charged topic and even close friends Kenny and Paul find themselves at odds. Topher does his best to control the mounting chaos in the ER while out in the field, TC makes a decision as to which of two patients to bring in, leaving Paul and Scott to question TC's motives. TV-14 D, L, V.

2 hours ago, starri said:

Well, that went about as well as expected.

I'm not opposed to shows attempting to be polarizing, but I think perhaps this is not the show to do it.

My thoughts exactly.  I wasn't looking forward to this episode because there's enough medical drama they could cover without bringing in race riots and police.  

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

Maybe it is because I am Australian and I don't have a deep understanding of American race relations but this episode left me uninvested in any of the outcomes.

As an American who has about as much understanding of race relations as I think a white man can have, I was fairly uninvested in the outcome as well.  This show is not subtle, and it's not deep, and this kind of topic requires a lighter touch than this hybrid of a medical drama and an action film is capable of.

There were things about the presentation that bothered me, and there were things that I thought they handled okay.  But I have a harder time looking at the complexities of the situation when we're also watching Scott and Paul operating on the suspect on the counter of what appeared to be a jewelry store.

ETA:  While I fully support NBC and the show's right to air an episode about whatever topic they want and then leaving it to the viewer to decide to give it his/her support or not, I REALLY wish they'd been a little more sensitive about airing it so soon after Orlando.  I know the two situations aren't really that similar, but I couldn't get the thought out of the back of my mind.

Edited by starri
  • Love 3

I don't think the writers intended it, but this episode played like an extended argument in favor of gun control. NOBODY with a gun managed to use them properly. And open carry laws meant that the police couldn't determine when someone was legitimately carrying and when they were going to be a danger to others. It basically all boiled down to, "Add guns to a volatile situation and watch the casualties pile up."

I'm not trying to make a political statement myself. I'm just saying that as depicted in this episode, Texas gun laws don't look too good. 

• Love 3

Well, at least I can say it wasn't as bad as the CSI: Cyber episode that tried to tackle race relations and police shootings months ago, but yeah, this was a bit of a chore to go through.  I guess some of the discussions and arguments were well done enough and I liked some of the interactions, but it still felt like it didn't stick the landing.  I just don't think this show is really good about that.  Crazy cases and light, fluffy fun?  Yes.  Serious, topical issues?  Nah.

Also, it was just so obvious that it was going to end up being the partner who shot the cop.  I wasn't entirely sure why, but they made it sound like it was an accident.  So, did she just panic, thought he was someone else, and then shoot him?  Was kind of confused.

Also could have lived with the battle between Paul and Rivera to see which one could be the most heroic and perfect at their jobs.  Yes, yes.  They're both young and brilliant.  Doesn't mean I need to see Paul almost single-handily calm down a riot and Rivera suddenly be more adapt at hanging every situation then Topher.

• Love 1

Ugh, this show!!  It's like CSI:Cyber...so stupid, yet I continue to watch. If Topher and Dr. Scott Wolf were gone,  I would be too.

The intern has got to go. 

I love that the hospital is sooooo busy because of these riots, but Jordan and Kenny have time to privately discuss their opinions on the white guy who shot the black guy.  The hospital is sooooo busy, but they have time to waste making sure a 10 year old kid, who has nothing wrong with him and is just waiting for his mom to pick him up, is comfortable and entertained.

I don't work in a hospital, but is it common to have doctors leave the hospital to go out "in the field?" And if they are sooooo busy, why would they be dispatched out to the field?

I like Paul, but seriously? HE'S the one that settled down the rioting? Then all the rioters were clapping? Huh?

TC was tolerable this episode. Jordan...not so much, as usual.

• Love 1