Type keyword(s) to search

The Music of DWTS

• Start Topic

(edited)

Don't get me started.  I've been ranting about the gadawful music selections ever since the "Eye of the Tiger" Paso Doble and the Tango to "Toxic" in Season One.

Edited by legaleagle53

They do get it right on occasion. When Meryl and Maks did their Tango in week 6, Close to You by Calvin Harris really worked. When the song kicked into its heavy beat, it suited the Tango very well.

(edited)

One thing that I would have liked to see this season was more focus on the band's new singers. Except for the one guy who sang Hound Dog when M&M did their Jive, they were never introduced by name.  That was a shame since they did a fine job.  One thing that puzzled me was who exactly was singing "Latch" during M&M's freestyle.  The show has used original recordings at times but the vocal on Latch didn't really sound like Sam Smith's original cut, even edited down.  The pronounciation of certain words (especially "enchant") was very different from his.  If it was one of the band's singers doing the number, does anyone know who it was?  It was a terrific renditon that I liked more than the original.

I now have Latch and Close to You on my playlist and they immediately bring M&M's dances to mind.

Edited by cali1981

All I know is that this group of singers is far and away better than the ones with Howard Wheeler's band.  Man they were awful!  It got to the point where I was hoping all the dances would be instrumental to avoid someone screeching their way through a song. I remember one guy trying to sing a song from the group Train and his voice cracked three times!  Dude, if the song is too high for you, don't sing it!

• Love 1

I'll admit, that sometimes I don't even care about or pay attention to the music if the dance is memorable.

For instance, for Andy and Sharna's Jazz number, which to me looked like an Alice In Wonderland theme, I thought they danced to Tom Petty when in all actuality it was Lady Gaga's Poker Face.

I really dislike when they try to do any sort of waltz to a song with the wrong time signature. It's not like they stopped making new music in 3/4 or 6/8 time in the 18th century or something, so TPTB were just forced to have a couple waltz to "You Raise Me Up" or "Haunted".

Does anyone else listen to the current songs on the radio and wonder if they'll show up on DWTS? I expect a competitive dance to "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" before the season is out:

"Powerful" would also work for a Viennese waltz and probably could've been wedged into the Halloween theme.

"Wildest Dreams" seems good for a rumba or some contemporary/jazz routine:

If they bring back the round where couples dance in different styles to the same song, after the summer of TPTB glomming onto the whip and nae nae, I can actually imagine them trying to be "hip" and going with "Hotline Bling".  I mean, the internet has already remixed the video with every musical genre imaginable, so the show would just have to follow after a real-world trend:

• Love 1

I want to know who is going to get "Hello", Adele's new song. 

I kind of hope it's performed as a pro dance to really do the song justice. (envisioning a rumba).

I want to know who is going to get "Hello", Adele's new song.

I kind of hope it's performed as a pro dance to really do the song justice. (envisioning a rumba).

Adele has a big deal with NBC for her album promotion, so I wondered if DWTS would snub the song in retaliation. It'll be number one for a while and a huge sensation, so probably not. The DWTS "singers" had better not decide to take on Adele. I'm glad TPTB use original recordings more often now.