Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers And Spoiler Speculation

(edited)

Pretty much EVERYTHING is spoilery at this point, I suppose.  I guess we should use the rule that if it's in official material released by the show or network, it's unspoilered, but if it otherwise leaks through the cracks (even if a major media outlet reports it) then its a spoiler.  

--------------------------------

To start off, here's a pic that EW published.  That would seem to argue it's probably official, but since I am unsure about that, I've put it here.

I have no idea if this photo actually reveals anything major, but at the very least it reveals that these four characters are cooperative with each other rather than being isolated plot threads, obvious antagonists, etc.  And we see a gun.

penny-dreaful-josh-hartnett-eva-green.jp

Edited by Kromm

I don't know if this is the proper thread for this question (but I'm sure the mods will move it if it isn't) but does anyone know what will be in store in regards to Season 2?  I'm wondering if it will be like "American Horror Story" -- same actors, different story, or if they will continue the same storyline.

The reason I ask is because I wonder how long they can spin out the whole "looking-for-Mina" and "where's Dracula" storyline before losing viewers. 

Stoker kept The Count offstage for most of his book, but he was able to do so because he made a strong beginning with the Count in Transylvania and this hooked the reader's interest.  They've been deliberately slow on "Penny Dreadful" but there's a fine line between "deliberate" and "boring".

• Love 1

I haven't heard of an AHS type of setup where it's completely different story lines each season.  I would guess there will be a continuation of the original story.  As I am quickly learning from Penny Dreadful things aren't always what they seem so while I agree they can only go so far with Dracula lord knows they can stretch the vampire story out--look at True Blood

This is probably not a spoiler. But I'm not sure where this info came from.

I marathoned the first four episodes with a couple of friends. There was some alcohol involved, and I was impatiently waiting to watch GoT. After watching episode five, I decided I liked the show.

I went back and read recaps from various sources. One recap blew my mind, and I can't find their claim confirmed elsewhere. The recapper claimed that Frankenstein's monster was Peter. Obviously Caliban looks nothing like Peter, but I don't remember Proteus very well. Plus, if Peter died in Egypt, he would have been too decomposed to use. There is a relationship between Victor and Malcolm, but I don't recall it's origins.

Has anyone heard this theory?

I think Caliban being Peter is a long stretch -- wasn't he buried in Africa somewhere?  Anything is possible -- but Caliban as he looks now doesn't resemble Peter much.  Plus Peter's soul appears to have crossed over (for lack of a better word).  How many of his memories or personality would have remained in his decayed brain?  Interesting to ponder, however.

My question concerns Brona.  After this episode, there were certainly any number of hints dropped (or foreshadowing, if you will) that she was due for a Big Change.

My question is, what is that change going to be?  Is she going to end up Wife of the Monster?  Or is she going to end up Mate of the Leader of the Pack?   Or possibly keeping Mina company with the Count?

Thoughts?

So I keep reading season two speculation that hints that Ethan and Vanessa become involved romantically.  I don't know how I feel about that.  I really liked how he was drawn to her and protective of her in a non-sexual way.  Their scenes during the possession were beautiful and brought me to tears.  I loved how all the men who surrounded her during that time cared about her as a person, not a woman.  Ethan is in love with Brona, and Vanessa is in lust with Dorian, and I don't want them to be simply rebounds to each other.

Also, Vanessa and Victor are possibly at odds.  I enjoyed the friendship between these two and don't want that lost.

Lastly, suggestions that Dorian Gray becomes the villain.  I've found his character somewhat boring up until this point.  Malcolm looked like he was going to be the big baddie last season, but redeemed himself by loving Vanessa.  Since we never saw his portrait, I'm sure Dorian's story has much to explore.

This is just my speculation, so may very well be wrong, but in the preview for the finale they show wolfed-out Ethan coming through a door and striking at a woman that looks like Mrs. Poole. They also show him snarling at a woman and you can barely see the back of her head. It looks to me like that woman is Vanessa. I think he may break through the door out of the stairwell and into the doll room, quickly at least incapacitate Mrs. Poole, and then encounter Vanessa. Obviously, he doesn't kill Vanessa, but I wonder if she is able to help him figure out how to control himself as a werewolf. Ethan seems to be as powerful as Vanessa (or almost), but he hasn't figured out how to control his powers.

Of course, it will probably turn out nothing like I am speculating!

• Love 2

I was thinking the exact same thing absolutelyido.  It's long over due that Vanessa finds out what Ethan is and if he is the hound of God then I would think once the werewolf version of Ethan sees her he wouldn't kill her.  Not sure if she knows how to control him but IDK maybe I guess.

As far as who the female is that Ethan is attacking I was kinda hoping it would be that awful little brat Hecate!  She and Ethan's story lines have entwinded a bit this season so it would be sweet justice for her demise to come from him and have Vanessa take care of Mrs. Poole herself.

• Love 2

Is this the right place for stuff about casting, or should that go in "Dreadful Media?" Until I know, I'm guessing it's safe to post new cast members here!

For those of us speculating re: bringing new literary characters into the mix, that will be happening . . . plus: more PLP!

AND it's Brian Cox as Daddy Chandler/Talbot! And, saints be praised, Wes Studi has signed on.

I swear, this show hasn't set a foot wrong yet. Can NOT wait for season 3.

• Love 2

Uh. They're going to bring back Patty LuPone as an entirely different character? That's... odd.

American Horror Story does this. Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe and Evan Peters have been in all 5 seasons as different characters, Jessica Lange in 4 sasons and Kathy Bates in 2. Finn Wittrock has been 2 different characters in this season (Hotel).

American Horror Story does this. Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe and Evan Peters have been in all 5 seasons as different characters, Jessica Lange in 4 sasons and Kathy Bates in 2. Finn Wittrock has been 2 different characters in this season (Hotel).

Right, but every season of American Horror Story is basically a reboot. There are a few characters who pop up in different seasons, but for the most part it's a clean re-do each year. Penny Dreadful is working with a linear narrative building on each season.