Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chatting in the Corridors

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

•   Introductions

•   Off-topic chatter

•   Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1 Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about

2 Look for an existing topic that matches or fits

3 If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

•   Character topics

•   Episode topics

•   Season topics

•   Spoiler topics

•   Speculation topics

•   In the Media topics

•   Favourite X topics

•   ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Playing a politician should come naturally to KS. Here's his grandfather Tommy Douglas, a Canadian politician who is credited with starting their health care system.

Edited by Cara
  • Love 1

Hello

I am travelling in Peru and the Wi-Fi may be spotty. I will miss the next two episodes but Designated will be the first thing I watch when I return to Canada on the Canadian Thanksgiving.

I am really enjoying this forum and look forward to rejoining in a couple of weeks.

• Love 3

I remember during the first season of 24 it was a little unclear how the 24 hour days would work, like would there be a whole week of these things?  In that spirit I came up with a possible voiceover lead in for Season 7 which went something like this:

Right now,

Aliens have invaded Los Angeles.

My wife and daughter have been replaced by robot clones.

And there's a giant spider, with the face of Richard Nixon, grinning at me from across the room...

I'm federal agent Jack Bauer.  And I've done too much speed this week.

• Love 6

RE:  Winter Hiatus.   Shows have done this for decades.   They just didn't do a big deal out of it with announcements and cliff hangers.    Shows always took a break in December.   Now it used to be about 2 weeks from right before Christmas to just after the New Year.   It was so all the holiday specials could be shown.   It has now expanded to the month of December and well into January, but the reason is the same.   Show Holiday specials.   So they make a big deal out of it so people will watch up to the cliffhanger then come back in Januaryish to see it resolved.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Person of Interest's penultimate series consisted of 22 episodes.  The first aired on Tuesday 23rd September, 2014.  They skipped a week (4th November, then they skipped two weeks (2nd and 9th December), aired a single episode then skipped another two weeks (23rd and 30th December), showed two episodes, skipped two weeks (20th & 27th January), showed four, skipped one (3rd March), showed one and skipped one (17th March), showed one, skipped one (31st March), showed two, skipped one (21st April), and showed the final two.    The 22-episode series took 33 weeks to air, due to there being EIGHT skips, breaks, jumps, hiatuses, or whatever you want to call them.  How could this not have affected the audience?  

It depends on whether you and I mean the same thing. If you mean that it helped casual viewers to give up on a show that they just watched because they were too lazy to change channel after the lead in, then OK, it does affect viewership. If you mean that it caused the show to tank and be cancelled, I disagree because if a show relies on this type of casual viewers, it doesn't have a solid audience to start with. (Which doesn't mean it wasn't a quality show. It was just not in adequation with the interest and taste of the majority.)

I'm quite certain that people who loved POI didn't miss an episode. If others did, it's because they didn't love the show enough to keep track.  The X-files thrived on "Friday's death slot". Many of CBS better performers this year are scheduled on "Friday's cemetery slot". Long hiatuses don't affect (or much) Grey's Anatomy's or The Walking Dead's ratings. Of course, some circumstances can punctually affect viewership, or some shows can suffer from lack of promotion. But people watch must-see TV, and they watch it live so scheduling reasons are, 99% of the time, Fan Excuse Bingo imo.

Edited by Happy Harpy
Just now, Princess Lucky said:

One more week until this dumb show comes back.

I can't wait.

I'm hoping that it was able to get itself back on track during the hiatus and with a new show runner.  The premise is great, but it really lost its way during the first half.

Also, if this show is a success and is renewed, I really hope they don't do a long winter hiatus again. I get it this time because the changes with the show, but I find myself losing interest in shows that have such long breaks.  My husband and I have quit watching Agents of Shield during the season for this very reason (even though I think this year they had a shorter hiatus..right?) and then we just binge it once it hits Netflix.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, thewhiteowl said:

I think it deserves a few nominations. Show that had so much going for it, interesting premise, solid cast (mostly) turning into a hot, disjointed, convoluted mess. That's accurate not mean.

It wanted to nominate it as "worst improved show", along with a few others (dropping shows that turned to complete suckage = my TV season, sigh) but the category no longer exists. Can't be more cruel than the ratings drop, anyway...

• Love 2