Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Victor Frankenstein: What's Up Doc?

Hmm, this seems less the traditional mad scientist take and more "victim of his own success".

Character Bio:

More Romantic poet than surgeon, Dr. Frankenstein is a tender, gentle soul who is fascinated by the mysteries of life and death. He has dedicated himself to researching what makes something live, and has sacrificed everything for his scientific pursuit. But he is playing with fire, and his research pays off in shocking ways with devastating consequences.

penny-dreadful-frankenstein-poster.jpeg

The Frankenstein thread is simply the best part of the show for me;  so much so that I would enjoy it as a show on its own.  It's on a whole other level from the rest of it. 

Tonight on Real Frankensteins of Heidelburg: Proteus attempts to build a miniature zebra to give to Victor for Father's Day. Meanwhile, Caliban grafts an extra penis to his forehead, then walks around pretending to be oblivious.

• Love 1
(edited)

I absolutely adore Frankenstein's storyline also. I was really sad to see Proteus go because their relationship was very sweet, but not sure if he'll be back. I suppose something that sweet can't last on a show like this. 

I did wonder at Victor's revulsion to Caliban though. I do understand that Victor was all shaken up after Proteus's death but dude, treating him like that is not gonna make the situation any better. I think that if Victor just treated Caliban with kindness, the latter wouldn't bear so much hatred and anger towards him. 

Excited to see where his storyline goes nonetheless.

Edited by confessa
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't think kindness is Victor's default setting (prickly is more his speed). He managed to be kind to Proteus because that's like being kind to a sweet puppy (that also happens to be your masterpiece). He was almost kind to Caliban when he apologized (I love that he apologized, the actor nailed that scene), but he's not the type of person who can keep on being kind to someone who keeps pissing him off. And the more Caliban talked about Proteus, the more Victor was reminded that his crappy prototype just destroyed the best thing he ever created, which left him pissed off and disgusted at Caliban.

The "we're responsible for that creature, he's our burden now" speech to Sir Malcolm was good. Kind of reminds me of the "I have to stop him because I created him" speech in The Amazing Spider Man. I hope that speech means Victor is not actually taking an "ignore him and he'll go away" approach to his murderous firstborn like he currently appears to be doing. Because if that's what he's doing: way to be responsible!

Seems to me Caliban would have eventually ended up resenting being born a "freak" even if Victor was kind to him. Before Caliban showed up I thought that's where Proteus' story was going (with his "Victor, what am I?").

Edited because it's "burden" not "burder".

Edited by Bec
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yes, I did sense resentment from Proteus as he began to remember his wife and question his own existence. This is probably Victor's future storyline: grappling with the ramifications (both practical and moral) of bringing people back to life. As of now, it's his quest for the truth that he's concerned with, but he's got to face the consequences - even if he manages to create a sweet being like Proteus, if it becomes unstable and begins killing for instance, then what would Victor do? Create some more in the hope of perfecting the revival technique? Because that seemed to be what happened after Caliban's horrific revival. 

I wonder if Victor would try to bring Proteus back to life again but this time, he becomes a much more warped being.  

Edited by confessa
  • Love 1

Rewatching episode 2, Victor mentioned something about feeling shame for sins he has committed in the past, back when he was just having a nice chat with Proteus. Now I wonder if he was talking about abandoning Caliban, and if he felt so bad about it, why didn't he ever go back to that lab? Or did he, and Caliban was already out of there by the time he went back? Why did he say "sins" plural? Did Caliban leave a trail of bodies on his way out the village or wherever that first lab was? Or has he done other things besides abandoning Caliban? I've seen speculation elsewhere that maybe he reanimated and abandoned more creatures before he made Proteus. I think it would be a bit much, though, a bit repetitive, if more creatures show up and go through the same "you've been a terrible father" routine.

There's gotta be some stories we haven't flashbacked to yet.

Oh, and apparently he has brothers. I was under the impression he was all alone in the world after his mother died. I know there were those other people in the funeral scene, but I thought those were just distant relatives or something. Guess not!

A very good character, but why did the writers have to make him a morphine addict?  He already had weaknesses. I really hate watching him shoot up.

But overall the most steampunk part of this show.