Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: The Runaway Dinosaur

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Is there some  reason (copyright fees, etc?)why they didn't use the actual book The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown? 

Besides copyright/permission issues, I assume that the writers invented their own book so that Barry could say the exact lines that they wanted. Also, a dinosaur is 'manlier' than a bunny.

(But how similar is 'The Runaway Bunny' to what was in this episode?)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Trini said:

Agree that a dinosaur is "manlier" (sigh) but overall pretty similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Runaway_Bunny

In fact as you can see in the Wikipedia entry: "Movie and TV writer Zack Stentz had taken inspiration from "The Runaway Bunny" when writing the 21st episode of the second season of TV series The Flash - titled "The Runaway Dinosaur"."

It's also  a crucial,  heartbreaking part of the climax of the play/movie Wit. 

Spoiler

The main character is a brilliant intellectual, a professor specializing in the English metaphysical poets, especially John Donne.  As her cancer progresses and she realizes she is dying, her equally brilliant female mentor comes to visit her in the hospital and offers to read John Donne to her  - to which she screams out NOOOOOO.  The mentor sits on the bed, the main character lies with her head in the mentor's lap, and the mentor reads The Runaway Bunny to her.

• Love 1
On 5/11/2016 at 6:27 AM, Whodunnit said:

Come to think of it, we have never seen Caitlin's house... no doubt that is because of the tiny set budget.

I bet the inside will look like Jitters, only from a slightly different angle and with different furniture.

• Love 2

I bet the inside will look like Jitters, only from a slightly different angle and with different furniture.

Nah; it'll look either like Casa West, Thawne/Wells' estate ( just a part of it, natch), or Eddie/Barry's apartment. Of course, Caitlin's place could also resemble Dig and Lyla's apartment. Or Laurel/Thea's apartment; maybe there is a portal in the basement that no one detected yet and that is how the comings and goings between the Flash Mob and Team Arrow have been happening? :D

Since this episode was setting Barry into the headspace the Show wants him to be in, I hope Barry is out of bubble gum and is ready for some ass kickin'. Gravy? Smart ass-kickin'. That is a bit sexy.

• Love 2
On 5/15/2016 at 1:58 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Runaway_Bunny

In fact as you can see in the Wikipedia entry: "Movie and TV writer Zack Stentz had taken inspiration from "The Runaway Bunny" when writing the 21st episode of the second season of TV series The Flash - titled "The Runaway Dinosaur"."

That Wiki note is uncited, so it's basically the opinion of the editor.

On 5/15/2016 at 4:37 PM, Captain Stable said:

We saw her bedroom in S1 (ep12?) when she got drunk and Barry took her home.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, dusang said:

That Wiki note is uncited, so it's basically the opinion of the editor.

I was going to mention that too (and it does need a citation), but Stentz says that book was the inspiration in Kevin Smith's podcast.

• Love 2
On May 15, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Trini said:

Also, a dinosaur is 'manlier' than a bunny.

Ha! I can totally see a male-heavy writing staff thinking along those lines, though personally, I see Barry as more of a bunny than a dinosaur.  He hasn't reached WOOB status, but he is definitely a gentler soul than some superheroes.

I thought the Runaway Bunny inspiration was a little odd since the little bunny in the story wants to change himself in order to get away from his mom, but ultimately realizes it's futile since his mom will always find a way to track him down. That is actually the opposite of what Barry has been doing, though maybe it's Barry's fate he kept trying to run from, not his mom. The Runaway Dinosaur, on the other hand, just seemed to want to change himself for reasons that were not explained, while his mom finds reasons why each dinosaur subspecies wouldn't work until she finally tells him that he and his mom are just the right kind of dinosaur for each other. I suppose both moms, in their own way, are pointing out that they will always be there, which supports Iris' point.

• Love 2