Type keyword(s) to search

New show coming up (foundation home)

The episode on Saturday night maybe was a sneak peek at Foundation Home?  This was a family with 5 freaking boys that wanted to go tiny but at least they were looking at a foundation home and not something on wheels.  That said, why on earth would a family of SEVEN want to go tiny?  Just bizarre to me.

The end product did look nice.  I had to wonder why, when you aren't constrained by the size of a trailer, you wouldn't decide to go ahead and get at least to 800 or 900 square feet when your youngest son is 12, there are 3 still living at home full-time and the 2 oldest come home from college.  And they all have musical instruments that are important to them.  It was nice to see a tiny home with 2 bathrooms and the kitchen turned out well.  I did question the practicality of an open loft for the 3 boys to share.  Not only is that zero privacy between the 3 of them but zero privacy period since it's an open loft.  What if one boy needs to practice his guitar while another needs to study?  What if one wants/needs to sleep while another is completing homework?  As gorgeous as those windows were, no window coverings would be an issue with sleeping during the spring/summer months when the sun rises early.  They did say the windows were a special kind to help with heat so there's that. 

Clearly MiracleGro is the show's new sponsor!

• Love 2
(edited)

LoL I was saying the same thing, re Miracle Gro. They better be giving them some serious dough, the houses coming up will all have flowers and perfect repeated shots of the product bags ; )

Yes, 2 boys are not home, but I thought the same thing, expand it a bit. But they are in parent's backyard, so if the young man doesn't want to use the hidden bed in the floor when visiting, he can throw a sleeping bag on his grandparents couch. The kitchen was beautiful and the windows. And the parents had a real room! I find it kind of uncomfortable to have side by side lofts with your kids, especially when they are open.

I saw pics on one of the kids FB page of the build,( he posted a comment on the THN facebook page) it was nice to see John and Zack playing ball with them and eating with them, I think this build was more laid back. Some of the past participants, like the beach one, seemed more into making a deal for themselves.

The next foundation home seems nice and it's just 2 guys, so more room but that's coming up in the summer.

Edited by debraran

I missed a bit, so maybe they explained it, but do they own the land the house is built on, or inherit it when the parents die?

If not, how can they be sure to keep access to thei house?
Why couldn't they hang more instruments on the walls.  And if you don't have room for the piano, why destroy it?
When Zack came back, I thought he'd have a zipline, not a commercial.

• Love 1

Well, the commercials seem to be the the new thing at the end, Miracle Gro must be a big sponsor so they work that in the end.

I watched the show and listened to the first few minutes on FYI, and no budget or cost was mentioned. I think they are on the parents land and I "assume" they will inherit the house one day or a kid will move in and the parents will keep the tiny home.  They sold a home that was large so had money from that.

The piano was broken so Zack used it for a novel idea with the bed. The instruments could have been hung, not sure what they will do with them. My question is always closets...why can't they have a small  hanging clothes closet? Even Zack with his very tiny home, has a closet for hanging coats and putting boots, etc. Cubby space is great for books, toys. gadgets, clothes that can be folded, but suits, dress shirts, bulky coats, blouses, you can't cram them in that type of space very well.

I have no idea (it's not a secret being on TV) how the state/town dealt with taxes and the like. Some tiny homes on wheels will squat on land of friends/family but it's not usually legal and they should move after a while.

1 hour ago, auntjess said:

May we switch this forum to "all episodes?"   It's not the big deal new show of its debut season, and they run old and new, and some don't get much interest.

Is that easy to do?

I just meant from here on out.  And the mod would have to do, I was just making the suggestion.

I know on some shows, I'd reply if I could do it quickly, but if I have to go and look up the season and episode, it's just not worth it.

For some shows, it works, and this was fine the first season, but with the zillon tiny shows now...

just watched S3E10 the Ohana house - the two trailers separated by a deck

They have small kids, and they creates that deck walls with such huge spaces, Icould see the kids falling off the deck through there, is there any reason why they could not run rubber flaps down the separation = for one thing if they did that off the roof as well after the trailers were n place, the space would be warm and more house like, open to the air, no wonder they needed to heat the open space. it is like they had a good idea and just did not finish it, I just hope the kids don't fall between things ore drop stuff under neath. 

I say this as someone who lived in a trailer and I had a swooping rubber gasket between my deck and the trailer walls so I didn't drop keys and other important things down there.  A kid would be far worse and could really get hurt that way.  Heck I put a rug over my deck so I didn't drop money or "pieces" of things I was assembling between the wood.planks, of the deck (they were built wide. the rug let water through and the deck did not rot it was primo hard cedar. and I was only there 10 years before a storm wiped everything out.   

(edited)

I noticed the gap and wondered about it. Another family had a double trailer but it was more connected. Seemed so cold too, I noticed the jackets even with the stove. I'm sure the windows were nice and unbreakable but warm?

I would add a railing to the loft also, forgot if they put one up or just a stair railing. I was like Yes! someone finally asked for one with kids! ; )  I heard the dad say the under stair storage which was nice, was all they had. The bed in master bedroom took up the whole room.   I was tired but I don't remember the "in floor storage" he did with other homes or outside storage for toys, tools, etc. he has done with other builders and shows.

I thought the idea of the home was nice, Zack made a great "rumpus room" but as a mom of 3, I always think ahead, them at 5, 10, 15.....I don't see it working long term.

I am looking forward to the next foundation home, it looks very nice in previews and I read an article about it from a local paper.

Edited by debraran

What if one boy needs to practice his guitar while another needs to study?  What if one wants/needs to sleep while another is completing homework?

What if someone wants to masturbate?

More seriously, what if you have guests and the boys need to change clothes? In their open loft?

I always get irked with the tiny homes where mom and dad get some modicum of privacy and the kid/kids get shoved into lofts/cubbyholes with castle themes

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I always get irked with the tiny homes where mom and dad get some modicum of privacy and the kid/kids get shoved into lofts/cubbyholes with castle themes

I've seen that a few times, when they were young and not quite "out of the house" age. I understand you don't need a huge room but privacy for anyone is something lofts rarely give. I would definitely have a privacy screen or folding partition. The castle theme one by the way, didn't last long. I read that was on Tiny House listings pretty quickly. : )  The one last night I watched with the couple building behind their house, they had friends sleep over downstairs and they had the loft and of course had to comment how you could hear everyone and the dog barks and everyone is up, etc, etc. I mean if you can't figure that out ahead of time, there is something wrong.lol

I liked the last foundation home and thought the home with 5 children might have been able to do more with space than they did but it was their home, the slanted ceilings really stole a lot of space, if it was just a few feet wider.

Edited by debraran

I feel sorry for the neighbors next door to the Gainesville Victorian. The outdoor entertaining space is only about three feet away from the back corner of the neighboring home, right outside a window, which is probably someone's bedroom. The whole house is too close, for that matter. The lot was large enough to have built the house farther away, especially since there isn't a home on the other side of the lot. At the very least, the outdoor space should have been put at that end. Not like I have to contend with this problem at the triplex where I live or anything...

(edited)

I didn't notice the space on the other side, I wonder why that was. I did see they had to put special fire proof wood tiles on home so that if there was a fire, the place next door wouldn't catch fire also. (must be a requirement there if so many feet away)

They seem well known and have other properties, maybe it was okay with them and they checked before the build (I hope) : )

They had local articles and news pieces about THN coming in their area.  It seems tiny homes that are on foundations have a slightly easier time getting zoning to bend, at least 3 on THN did,and one "garage apartment",  maybe that will help their movement more than the ones on wheels in the future.

Edited by debraran

What I do not understand is that there a plenty of home built in the 1950 and 1960's that are much smaller then modern homes.  These homes have withstood the test of time, many of them have been remodeled to reflect modern tastes, and they have all the amenities of a tiny home with none of the hassle.

If you live in a low cost of living area, many of these homes are also not that much more expensive then building your own tiny home.

• Love 2