Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters Off the Grid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Editor's Note:

Discuss House Hunters Off The Grid Here!

A cultural anthropologist seeks a traditional-style home on the western Pacific Ocean island of Yap, but his friends suggest he obtain an abode of sturdier construction.

Woof.  I think Steve was really considering traditional hut living.  The dealbreaker for me wasn't even the lack of toilet, it was the sturdiness of the mosquito net around the bed.  Mosquitoes love me--I would be miserable slapping them away all night, night after night on a permanent basis, until it was time for sleeping.

For the other two options, I understand his desire to change his lifestyle from Jacksonville--but I disagreed with his decision.  To me, he picked a far inferior place, mainly for the reason he would be less comfortable and therefore more "authentic."

I think the population is probably 1. people who maintain the traditional ways and 2. people who spend x-hundred dollars per month for modern conveniences.  Probably both groups would consider Steve foolish for giving up AC, microwave, washer/dryer and living near his friends for the $50 difference.

Plenty of cultural immersion opportunity all around, Steve--no need to wash your drawers out in the sink.

• Love 1

For the other two options, I understand his desire to change his lifestyle from Jacksonville--but I disagreed with his decision.  To me, he picked a far inferior place, mainly for the reason he would be less comfortable and therefore more "authentic."

I think the population is probably 1. people who maintain the traditional ways and 2. people who spend x-hundred dollars per month for modern conveniences.  Probably both groups would consider Steve foolish for giving up AC, microwave, washer/dryer and living near his friends for the $50 difference.

Plenty of cultural immersion opportunity all around, Steve--no need to wash your drawers out in the sink.

He didn't really consider the mod cons to be all that important in the long run.  And the place he chose was very close to the beach, which was important to him.  IDK, I thought he picked the best compromise between a traditional feel and having some modern conveniences.

• Love 1

He didn't really consider the mod cons to be all that important in the long run.  And the place he chose was very close to the beach, which was important to him.  IDK, I thought he picked the best compromise between a traditional feel and having some modern conveniences.

I agree, it was definitely the compromise choice.  The map shows the "fancy" place as being right on the beach, too, though--plus the ocean view was gorgeous.

I guess I just appreciated the perspective of those people who'd been living there awhile regarding how really nice it would be in the long run to have a few of those mod cons.  Oh well, not their life, or mine.  (Maybe Steve didn't want to live right next door to other ex-pats!)

I actually thought Steve's best play would be signing a lease on the compromise place for his home AND renting the traditional place for a month to get a flavor for traditional living, with the campfire cooking and the quick hose-downs with centipedes, etc.

I always fantasize about moving wherever the HH International people are--how many dogs can I bring?--but "off the grid" really fires up my imagination!

• Love 1

The map shows the "fancy" place as being right on the beach, too, though--plus the ocean view was gorgeous.

I thought they said it wasn't, but I was about half asleep, so maybe I misunderstood.

Hosing down with centipedes?!?!?!?!?!?!?   AIGHHHHHHHHHHH!

• Love 1

I thought they said it wasn't, but I was about half asleep, so maybe I misunderstood.

Hosing down with centipedes?!?!?!?!?!?!?   AIGHHHHHHHHHHH!

LOL, that was the "big" problem with the outdoor cold-water shower stall--you had to keep an eye peeled for those giant centipedes because they have a venomous bite.

LOL, that was the "big" problem with the outdoor cold-water shower stall--you had to keep an eye peeled for those giant centipedes because they have a venomous bite.

EEK!  <mentally crossing Yap off my list of places to visit>

I caught another HH off the Grid show last night.  A family was moving to Bhutan, with a monthly rental budget of $80.  The one place, which rented for a mere $20 a month, had an outdoor kitchen, outdoor water, and there were gaps in the walls plugged up by the current renters with pieces of paper.  The walls looked like wooden beams with plywood squares slotted in between the beams - think like a connect 4 game where the holes were squares filled in with plywood.  The plywood looked like you could slide it around.  The kicker was that the rental agent said they'd have to be on the outlook for tigers, snakes, and leeches.  The house hunter husband laughed off the tiger warning as probably an exaggeration.  Just the mention would have given me pause.  They chose one of the more "modern" apartments, but they still had to lug in buckets of water each day.  They had at least two younger children, so not sure how long they were staying there or why they'd subject younger children to living there.  Not sure what medical facilities were around, and everyone I know who have kids - the kids get sick with something at least once a year.  The HH wife said the place they'd rented, when they toured it initially, that it was cold, cold, cold.  It had a wood burning stove as the only heat source.  If they were there and it was warmer, say for 6 months, maybe not so bad.  Not sure how cold it would get in the winter.  

• Love 3

I was somewhat surprised to learn that Micronesia seemingly was able to offer more modern conveniences and comforts than Bhutan. Given the choice, I think I'd rather live in Yap. Though it's tough to choose between poisonous centipedes vs tigers, leeches and snakes.

I rather enjoy this new iteration of HH. At the very least, it's eye-opening, and helps me appreciate what I have. I don't particularly like where I'm living now, but now maybe I'll think twice before complaining about it - at least I have indoor plumbing, electricity and hot water!

Eta dang auto-correct - as far as I know, centerpieces are not necessarily known to be poisonous.

Edited by scootypuffjr
  • Love 5

I just watched Wayne move his world to Tablas Island in the Philippines and I was sort of snickering at them the whole time.

I live, not exactly "off the grid," but pretty much on the outermost grid line.  And it is extremely difficult, in ways I certainly didn't foresee and they didn't seem too prepared for, either.

Wayne was all gung-ho about working in his own rice paddy--which by all accounts is horrible backbreaking labor--while Mrs. Wayne was picking out a spot for the swimming pool w/wet bar.  Can you fish the snakes out with a regular skimmer or do you need one that's specially reinforced?  I was dying to hear from the two teen? 20's? daughters how they felt about the pace of the social life there on TI.

But ha-ha on me--their place at the end was GORGEOUS.

• Love 2

Wasn't it, though? That pool, that porch, trees *inside* the house! Magical. I doubt the King of Tablas (should there be one) would live any finer. I wasn't too impressed with the choices they were given, but they ended up choosing correctly and built their own freaking palace. Instead of making me appreciate what I have, that episode made me jealous!

• Love 1

I watched the Australia to Bhutan family last night. I thought they might take the third place with the shower. The "no hot water" problem was easily solved by a tankless water heater, an option that's been available for decades. I loved that third apartment with the beautiful woodwork!

Half a lifetime ago, I moved to a developing Asian capital, now a bastion of modernity. My apartment lacked heat and hot water. I had a gas cooktop and decided I could boil water for dishes and bathing and use a kerosene heater to keep from freezing. Granted, I wasn't taking care of young children, but it worked out for me for several years. If this is what you have, you adapt--or you go home.

• Love 2

If this is what you have, you adapt--or you go home.

It doesn't even take very long before that stuff isn't a weird massive inconvenience--it's just the way it is, right?

I can't wait to see this Bhutan episode.  I just saw a segment on 60 Minutes about "Happiness" being incorporated into the legal code there.  The story also noted that there was a very strict limit on the number of tourists permitted to visit--must be a big deal if you're allowed to move there!

• Love 2

Despite the material inconveniences, the moving-to-Bhutan couple seemed very much into the happiness thing, so the country looked like a good match for them. The wife had a job teaching English to children; the husband, an engineer, was going to stay home with the two young children. They were very enthusiastic about being there. The three places all had electricity and water, but service disruptions were mentioned as an issue. I hope the husband doesn't have to lug water up the stairs too often. 

They will spend their days at home dressed in heavy jackets and sitting around the wood stove together. They may have a couple of other portable heaters since the apartment was pretty big. After a warm shower in the evening, everyone will dress in warm sleep clothes and crawl under thick blankets and learn how to get through the night without getting up to go to the bathroom. The stove will die down and extra heaters are turned off at bedtime for safety reasons. In the morning, the keeper of the stove will build up the fire and everyone will sit down and eat British cornflakes and fresh milk.

I'm sure they can find someone to treat the children's cuts and coughs. They may want to find some internet and phone service too. 

Edited by BradandJanet

I actually thought Steve's best play would be signing a lease on the compromise place for his home AND renting the traditional place for a month to get a flavor for traditional living, with the campfire cooking and the quick hose-downs with centipedes, etc.

That's exactly what I thought when I was watching that show!

That way he could have the security for his data, air conditioning for both himself and his computer when needed, and a place to wash his clothes. He could stay in the hut to get the feel of living native style, but use the apartment to maintain some objectivity and down time when needed.

• Love 2
I think that we're all becoming so adept at understanding what the meanings of posts are supposed to be that autocorrect could probably change 50% of the words and we would still get the gist of the post.

You're probably right. Plus some fo the results are hilarious. I laughed out loud at the centerpiece boo-boo..

• Love 3

Despite the material inconveniences, the moving-to-Bhutan couple seemed very much into the happiness thing, so the country looked like a good match for them.

I read Eric Weiner's the Geography of Bliss several years ago -  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UZJR22/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1 and he writes about his visit to Bhutan, in search of the happiest places on earth (and the least happiness and the determining factors of both.)  I found it very interesting.  I missed this episode, but would have loved to have seen it.  Before I read The Geography of Bliss, I was completely unaware of Bhutan and the countries Gross National Happiness priorities.  I will have to keep an eye out for the repeats.