Type keyword(s) to search

The Vicarage Residents: Mrs. Maguire, Leonard, and Dickens

• Start Topic

Leonard's my favorite. He's in an impossible situation: he does not have Sidney's good looks and charm or Mrs Maguire's feistiness to deal with all the hardship life's throwing his way, yet he somehow manages to keep his dignity and treats others most of the time with more kindness than he receives.

(Dickens is obviously out of the competition.)

• Love 4

I feel like Leonard needs a big win somewhere, and that will give him the self-confidence he needs. He'll never be naturally gregarious or anything like that, but a good success might prompt him to trust himself and not be quite so timid. He'll always be gentle, but there's nothing wrong with that.

• Love 3

Leonard is an adorable and sweet cupcake. Love him.

I love a lot of Mrs. M's lines too, like her sass when it comes to Amanda and the recent "she doesn't wear stockings" line. Poor Mrs. Maguire has to deal with all these scandalous people all the time. :P

Dickens is always adorable.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4

Mrs. Maguire has made me cry more than anyone, even Leonard.  She's such an original character with her grim, judgmental crust so thinly spread over a soft heart.  Plus she loves her two "boys" and  Dickens, and she's lonely. I'm not rooting for any contenders for Vicar's Wife unless she shows a little kindness toward Mrs. M.

• Love 3

I just posted this in the episode thread but perhaps it is better put here — is it my imagination or was Dickens a chocolate Labrador as a puppy and in the recent episodes (like the past two) appears as a black Lab now that he is closer to full-grown?

Edited — never mind! Answered in episode thread! Thanks sonja & elle

This slideshow and this behind-the-scenes clip provide heaping helpings of more Dickens cute and also make his coat color much clearer, for some reason, than it was for that first season on my PBS station, even in HD.

I wonder, given how much sunnier — both literally and figuratively — Grantchester was in the first season could account for my seeing Dickens through rosy-brown lenses as a puppy :p

Edited by Margherita Erdman
  • Love 2

I wonder, given how much sunnier — both literally and figuratively — Grantchester was in the first season could account for my seeing Dickens through rosy-brown lenses as a puppy :p

Apparently the first series was shot March to June and the second one in the fall, so you could be on to something.