Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Third Wheels

Karma continues to be tiresome. Amy gets sucked into Karma's orbit quickly and easily and Lauren loses out.

Saw the Shane and Liam misunderstanding coming a mile away. Gay best friend who lives with him and talking about a sex date... No wonder the Rabii was confused. 

Poor Lauren. 

Shane and Liam are a very believable couple. 

I like that Amy is finally kissing girls again in the promo for next week, but why do I get the feeling Felix is end game? To be fair the two actors do have chemistry so I guess I can handle it if they go there. 

Another dull episode and sooo damn predictable episode.

I knew that Amy would get sidetracked with Karma's drama and leave Lauren by herself to nab their parents.

What was the point with Liam and his new g/f, and Shane's interactions with the little sister??? All those scenes were pointless.

I was nice to see Amy's Mom, Lauren's Dad (both parents are miserable - I hope they do get back together), as well as Karma's parents. But, what's up with that polyamorist's storyline? Yes, it fits their characters. But, still....

The only scene I liked was when Amy told Lauren that Karma is her b/f, but she's her sister.  That was it!!!

• Love 3

I really did not like the "Diane" subplot.....and I was bored with most of the episode. Lauren is the only regular who is holding my interest.

I thought this was a very weak episode.I'm starting not to care.

Edited 'cause I should know the difference between "week" and "weak." ACK!!

Edited by Janimo

Shane and Liam are a very believable couple.

I know right? I always like them most when he is with Shane, and they actually have a lot more chemistry with each other then they usually do with any of their love interests. I know the show probably wont be going there, but if they did...it could be interesting. Granted, they already have the "best friends of same gender having issues with romance being added to the mix" with Amy and Karma, but I just want something interesting to happen with them!

I normally love Amy, but blowing off Lauren was not ok. She had every right to be mad.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

I loved the episode. Maybe it comes from the fact I'm new and binge watched all of season 1 and 2 straight before watching season 3 so I get the nuances.

So I understand the show revolves around Karma and Amy struggling with their friendship and what that means. The liam and Shane subplot was unneeded but fun. Diane and the Ashcrofts was an 'obvi' (sorry, too much Awkward) obvious example of Karma's head-space about the whole sexuality thing. She's uncomfortable with anything beyond 1950s definition. Its right there, she will ignore it for need of Amy but that's it.

It was a good episode.

To those who like Lauren and her arc, thats great but she isn't the show.

Oh and I wrote another Amy's journal entry: https://www.fanfiction.net/story/story_preview.php?storyid=11895125

Do me a favor. If you do read and like it (or hate it) review it. It helps me. Thanks

I know that Amy and Karma are "best" friends, but is it just me or is their friendship almost bordering on unhealthy obsession? We've all had best friends that we love and care about deeply, but something about their level of being intertwined with one another just doesn't seem quite normal. At least with Amy, we know that she is madly in love with Karma, which makes sense of her automatic willingness to drop anyone and anything when Karma calls. But Karma also seems to think it's somehow Amy's responsibility to always drop everything when she needs her. Even subtracting the romance angle, their friendship just doesn't seem to have normal boundaries.

Lauren had every right to be pissed with Amy. You can be a good friend to someone, without always putting them and their needs first. It's alright for friends -- even *best* friends -- to still have a night off, other priorities, and lives independent of one another.

Edited by lavenderpenguin
  • Love 2

I know that Amy and Karma are "best" friends, but is it just me or is their friendship almost bordering on unhealthy obsession? We've all had best friends that we love and care about deeply, but something about their level of being intertwined with one another just doesn't seem quite normal. At least with Amy, we know that she is madly in love with Karma, which makes sense of her automatic willingness to drop anyone and anything when Karma calls. But Karma also seems to think it's somehow Amy's responsibility to always drop everything when she needs her. Even subtracting the romance angle, their friendship just doesn't seem to have normal boundaries.

Lauren had every right to be pissed with Amy. You can be a good friend to someone, without always putting them and their needs first. It's alright for friends -- even *best* friends -- to still have a night off, other priorities, and lives independent of one another.

I agree with you. They depend too much on each other and that's not healthy in any relationship. But maybe it's part of the same, to show that they have such a strong friendship and it's hard for them to be apart.

And yes, I'm with Lauren in this episode. Felt so bad for here. I understand that Amy is in love with Karma and everything but still she kind of abandoned Lauren for a situation(Karma's parents thing) that could have been solved later.

I'm not looking forward to Karma/Liam's relationship, for me they're done. But I mean they didn't even know if their were going to have another season so I don't think they are making this a thing at least I hope not.

• Love 1

I really did not like the "Diane" subplot.....and I was bored with most of the episode. Lauren is the only regular who is holding my interest.

I thought this was a very week episode.I'm starting not to care.

Exactly my thought. Faking it was a breath of fresh air in the beginning. Now it's just tired and dull. I guess after this episode I'm out.  

• Love 1

But maybe it's part of the same, to show that they have such a strong friendship and it's hard for them to be apart.

Yes, I think the show tries to package their codependence as a sign of how "strong" their friendship is, despite the fact that a strong friendship doesn't operate the way theirs does in healthy circumstances. The sad thing is that I believe the show genuinely believes that they are showing what a "true" friendship looks like when they have Amy dropping everything for Karma, Karma writing sad songs about their time apart, and them putting every other relationship on the backburner for one another (and then trying to show other characters as less understanding for not ~getting~ the depth of their friendship) but in reality, if this were real life, this would be super unhealthy/bordering on just plain weird and Amy/Karma would have no other friends left.

• Love 2

Yes, I think the show tries to package their codependence as a sign of how "strong" their friendship is, despite the fact that a strong friendship doesn't operate the way theirs does in healthy circumstances. The sad thing is that I believe the show genuinely believes that they are showing what a "true" friendship looks like when they have Amy dropping everything for Karma, Karma writing sad songs about their time apart, and them putting every other relationship on the backburner for one another (and then trying to show other characters as less understanding for not ~getting~ the depth of their friendship) but in reality, if this were real life, this would be super unhealthy/bordering on just plain weird and Amy/Karma would have no other friends left.

Plus it doesn't help that Amy is always the one dropping everything for Karma.  Earlier in the show, it seems like Amy and Karma's friendship had been thrown out of wack by Amy's feelings for Karma.  I always figured that their relationship had originally consisted of Karma calming Amy down when she was about to do something rash and Amy forcing Karma to pull her head out of her own ass.  Amy being too much of a yes woman would have explained why Karma seems so narcissistic.  The problem is now the girls have had time apart, Amy has moved on from her feelings for Karma (at least for the moment), they are supposedly getting back to the way things used to be and yet their friendship is still weird and honestly pretty one sided.  We never see Karma sacrifice anything to help Amy, she does it when she has the time.

I just can't with this show anymore. The only character I have any interest in seeing is Lauren and I don't have the time and energy to watch shows that aren't that good. I don't like Amy and Karma's relationship at all.

• Love 1

Yes, I think the show tries to package their co-dependence as a sign of how "strong" their friendship is, despite the fact that a strong friendship doesn't operate the way theirs does in healthy circumstances. The sad thing is that I believe the show genuinely believes that they are showing what a "true" friendship looks like when they have Amy dropping everything for Karma, Karma writing sad songs about their time apart, and them putting every other relationship on the back burner for one another (and then trying to show other characters as less understanding for not ~getting~ the depth of their friendship) but in reality, if this were real life, this would be super unhealthy/bordering on just plain weird and Amy/Karma would have no other friends left.

And that is exactly how the show started. Amy and Karma together with no one else. Whether they are codependent on each other or not, isn't really a point because its obvious. What we are missing is most people don't have one friend they grow up with from Toddler level and still have them at 18. I am lucky because I met someone who did get exactly that in the real world. Two ladies who have known each other from 5 and still are bffs today at 19. No they aren't glued to each other but they will drop everything if the other is in trouble. 

Its all perspective. I have less issue with the whole Karmy relationship because I have seen a healthy real world version in its similar to what the show depicts, just not as dramatic.

• Love 1