Type keyword(s) to search

Midnight Special (2016)

• Start Topic

We're only a quarter-way through the year so far, so it's a little early to be talking about "Best of the Year" nominations, but I'm nominating this Jeff Nichols masterpiece. 

I was riveted from the opening scene, every performance was pitch-perfect, led by a restrained Michael Shannon. But let's not shortchange Joel Edgerton, Kirsten Dunst, Adam Driver and Jaeden Lieberher. Not to mention Sam Shepard and Paul Sparks in small, but essential roles. The world-building was excellent, always important in a genre flick.

Lots of emotional moments, topped by this exchange between Roy (Shannon) and his special son Alton (Lieberher):
"You don't need to worry about me."

"I like worrying about you. I will always worry about you. That's the deal." Has parenthood been boiled down any better than that?

Soo glad I wasn't spoiled for any of this; I've been wanting to see it and finally did.   It's one I'll want to watch again; I'm sure there are beats I missed.

It reminded me of Hell or High Water in that we get the story gradually, through observation and character conversations - even then, it's more that we, the viewers, are watching and listening as the characters talk to each other in a natural way, rather than stating the obvious to each other so that the audience will understand what's going on.   I really appreciate that when the story flows so well and the performances are so good, which is what happened here.

I can definitely see John Carpenter and Spielberg influences, especially in the gas station scene.

"Can we go back to Texas now?" heh!

I'll have to see Take Shelter.

Edited by raven
  • Love 2
On 1/2/2017 at 10:15 PM, raven said:

Soo glad I wasn't spoiled for any of this; I've been wanting to see it and finally did.   It's one I'll want to watch again; I'm sure there are beats I missed.

It reminded me of Hell or High Water in that we get the story gradually, through observation and character conversations - even then, it's more that we, the viewers, are watching and listening as the characters talk to each other in a natural way, rather than stating the obvious to each other so that the audience will understand what's going on.   I really appreciate that when the story flows so well and the performances are so good, which is what happened here.

I can definitely see John Carpenter and Spielberg influences, especially in the gas station scene.

"Can we go back to Texas now?" heh!

I'll have to see Take Shelter.

You absolutely must see Take Shelter.  And, yes, movies that allow you to discover them as they unreel rather than giving an information dump up front are so much more satisfying.

• Love 1

I didn't care for this, really, with the exception of the cast, which was really great. I'm starting to love Adam Driver as an actor. Also, Take Shelter really is a quietly great film. The ending knocked me out.

• Love 1

I'm so very late to the party on discovering the movies of Jeff Nichols and how amazing Michael Shannon is as an actor. I just watched this and Take Shelter. I just loved this, and how quiet and effective it was. Amazing cast all around, and I haven't been a fan of Adam Driver, but his role here was perfect.