Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: The Cases That Need To Be Solved

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

When a young boy is executed, Intelligence turn to the boy's parents for information and upon further investigation, discover the father has a criminal background and was a part of a local gang. After another shooting in gang territory, this time nonfatal, Lindsay and Halstead speak to the victim's mother to see if the two crimes are related and Mouse works to find a connection. To honor the deceased young victim, Antonio, Platt, Roman, Burgess, Mouse and a number of other CPD officers and members of the community come together for a candlelight vigil.

well this was just awful, start to finish. (the storyline.) I thought everyone was genuine and well acted. Well, except Atwater. IMO he brings absolutely nothing to the party. I can never understand him and and his facial expression never changes. I thought I *might have seen an emotion at the end while he was watching the two parents, but no.

Good on Burgess for calling out Platt. Also, Roman, you can stop mumbling, too, anytime you want.

At first I thought that this crime was rather over the top and unbelievable. But then I found out that it's based on a real murder in Chicago. What a chilling thought.

I was excited to see S. Epatha Merkerson's name in the credits, but it turns out she only showed up at the end and had no spoken lines. On the other hand, that seems to be as respectful a use of her time as anything else in a case like this.

Edited by Xantar
  • Love 2

I agree...I think it was well acted and overall a good story. The thing that appalled me, though, was when the minister came to see Voight and remind him that "black lives matter", in other words to promise that the police would treat the killer(s) respectfully. I was all whaaaaat?? Here you've got a little boy - also black - murdered in cold blood and the minister's big concern is that no one rough up the person who did it?? Yes, I get the whole real-life issues with police brutality, especially in Chicago, but that just felt a little off to me. I was seriously waiting for Voight to say, "Yes, black lives DO matter; that's why we want to find and apprehend the person who killed this child ASAP."

The case that this episode was based on just keeps on getting sadder. This morning's newspaper reported, "In the latest in a series of retaliatory shootings amid a South Side gang war, the father of Tyshawn Lee has been charged with shooting the girlfriend of one of the men in custody for the killing of his 9-year-old son, authorities said Sunday." It seems almost certain that little Tyshawn's murder was an act of revenge as well.

That's not what I got out of it, but it's been a while since I've seen the episode.

I took it to mean, "black lives matter" so put effort into finding out who did this.

I'm sure you could watch the scene again on YouTube or somewhere...but no, IIRC, the minister was definitely talking about the perpetrators being treated fairly by the police.