Type keyword(s) to search

Animals - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I've caught the first two episodes, and am having a tough time sticking with it. For my tastes, they're going with a bit too much slice-of-life dramedy angst culled from the twist that the animals are fully cognizant of (and making the best of) the life circumstances that go with their species. I found the BBC's Muppet-like series Mongrels (from 2010 & 2011), which had a vaguely similar premise but played out as more of a outrageous joke-filled sitcom, far more entertaining.

• Love 1

Okay, so I actually love this show more and more each episode. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that right now it's my favorite show on TV.

Glad they're re-upped for two seasons ... 

I still can't quite figure out what's going on with the evil mayor and that whole backstory but just love love love the animals. 

Torn between laughing and crying this week when the rats are talking about how terrible the fake sugar is in the Chinese food and then one of them is wiped out by the collapsing concrete.

Nobody watches this? It's probably not the best comedy HBO puts out, but it has its own charm. This week: a young pigeon gets his brother killed and goes on a lunatic spiritual quest, with stereotypical Jewish and black characters. And his folks aren't broken up because they've lost so many children. Also: Lois Griffith. Why not?!?

• Love 1

This week: Humans! And live action! With RuPaul Charles as Dr. Labcoat!! There are a few effects, but the episode is a lot trippier. And we get lots of guest spots . . . including insane ad men getting ranked out by Judy Greer, who plays a psycho queen on Archer.

About last week's episode: in the wild, Mason would totally be dead, right? I mean . . . yeesh. Who wouldn't want him dead?

• Love 2

Just checking to see if anybody else is following the series. Gotta love rats making money off a human baby. Tonight is the conclusion to a Godfather-style two-parter with cats. And the guy who played Big Pussy on The Sopranos . . . voices a cat named Big Pussy. Hey, why not?

Anybody see the finale? Heavy shit. Given the tone, Whoopi Goldberg's philosophizing dog, the last scene, and the gratitude in the credits, I thought that was it for the show. Apparently, HBO ordered a third season.

Damn, New York got wiped out. Well, of humans, at least. At much as I'd lie to see the wacky animals go I Am Legend in Manhattan, I'm thinking we might switch to the West Coast next season.

Well I am watching it gang, I actually enjoyed this sick show about those dirty drunk rats. I love the live humans, I like it enough to put it on my record thing for my DVR.  We shall see.  At least this show is different and I think has something to say. The new season looks really funky, I approve.   

@atlantaloves . . . I watched. "Quack Market" is a phrase that's so stupid and so smart at the same time. Also: same-sex dog marriage and a pug in a suit. Yeah, I know, the bits about abandonment, addiction, and wanting to move on were more important . . . but pug in a suit. And random tangents. Like I said, this isn't the best animated show, but it's far fro the worst, and it'll probably wind up as something for those wanting to go deeper into good animation (as opposed to being a "cult classic").

• Love 1

Lantern: Yeah, I know the animation isn't that great, after all their lips never move, but you know what, South Park had HORRIBLE cut out artwork, and that show is still relevant and frankly, WONDERFUL.  I see that in this little show.  I love it.  Oh oh oh and the same sex dog marriage, adorable! I am totally in love with my senile shih tzu and of course totally adored this episode. It was very well written. And, FUNNY. That's what we need today. A laugh. Ruff Ruff. Where's that damn collar, I need a fix! 

Love this show, though it makes me both laugh and feel so sad, given the current storyline. To the point that it reminds me that I need to come up with a murder-suicide plan for me and my cats if there were some nuclear apocalypse. The fast, random dialog references are hilarious, but the idea of dogs pining for their owners is killing me!

• Love 1

Good couple of episodes. Wallet the friendly round blue pigeon, and a class drama with horses. Fun shit. It's a good show . . . but you don't immediately think of it as a favorite.

ETA: I liked Wallet's theme song, as well as the narrator, whom sounded like Ellen DeGeneres. Additional points for the characters hijacking the narration and the device simulating Tom Bergeron's voice.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

Anybody out there keeping up? I don’t know how many more episodes there are for this season, but it feels like we’re approaching the end. Once again: it’s a shame this series doesn’t get more attention. If this was on Netflix, I’d wager “I’m nuttier than a squirrel’s cum shot” would be repeatedly ad nauseum.

• Love 1