Type keyword(s) to search

AS5: Dom Streater

• Start Topic

At the time of S12, I thought Dom was a potentially interesting designer who needed a few years of development. Her willingness to experiment with color and print is appealing, and her avant garde creation is one of my favorites from the past few seasons. At her best, she produces bold, playful, garments with a ton of presence.

Too often, however, I thought her designs were poorly constructed and displayed questionable taste. Her final collection makes Ashley's look polished by comparison; few of the pieces fit correctly, the silk charmeuse garments were poorly sewn, and little thought seemed to go into print placement or cohesion. I felt her win was undeserved and that she behaved quite ungraciously afterwards. 

My hope is that she has matured over the past few years, both as a person and a designer. 

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Love 2

I liked Dom's work. Sometimes I feel like patterns are left by the wayside because they take some care to make them work, so I enjoyed her collections. I think she's got an interesting perspective, she's from a city with a strong art scene that doesn't get a lot of play, she works hard, and she has skills.

I've decided, though, after everything, that her famous niceness was a little more strategic than I originally thought. She was pleasant, she mostly stayed out of the drama until her spot at fashion week was nailed down, she kept her head down and got her work done, and anyone who wanted to start something with her would have had to go through Helen the distempered rage urchin to do it. All of which is smart and professional and seriously, good on her. Only then she got her spot nailed down and she behaved really badly pretty much immediately and for a while afterwards.

I think she'll go far. I just think she's kind of busted on the sweet ingenue Dom thing, and maybe she should back off the Uriah Heepish ostentatious humility. I don't think it suits her, and we're all worn out on it after Ashley anyway.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I'm similar to others -- I love her work, and I bet that when I don't particularly like it I still admire the heck out of it.  But her personality.... ehhhhhhhhh

Yeah, she rubs me the wrong way, and I'm not sure why.  She is not offensive in any way, she doesn't act out...there is just something about her I don't care for.  I'm happy she won her season, but as time went on, I just realized I don't much care for her as a person.  I truly don't know why though, because she comes off as nice enough.  Maybe I just like flawed personalities......because I loved crazy Sandro, and I even loved his over the top clothing.  I wish they could have brought him back for All-Stars, he can't be any more of a liability than Ken.

• Love 1