Type keyword(s) to search

Hell on Wheels in the Media

I am glad to see the comments are overwhelmingly ripping apart the article.  I had received this link by 3 emails and, in each case, it was a here goes AfterEllen again start.  For those not in the know, AfterEllen has a reputation for making excuses and rationalizating the lesbian makes out with a guy trope which is why comments refer to AfterEllen's failure here.  It's a shame because their old staff were so strong against these degrading antics. 

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell that they figured Campbell has to have at least one tight connection to one of the characters who lived in the town before he arrived so they said well lets have him have the lesbian because, according to tv, all lesbians just need sex with a guy. 

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell that they figured Campbell has to have at least one tight connection to one of the characters who lived in the town before he arrived so they said well lets have him have the lesbian because, according to tv, all lesbians just need sex with a guy. 

I'm just curious, and I mean no snark.  But I think the writers decided that Campbell needed to have a close relationship with someone in the town.  He already had his posse of men, and so there really didn't seem to be much reason for him to seek out another male friend.  Except maybe for Cullen, who is really not interested in him.  All the other male power players are aligned with Durant, or their interests are best served by being loyal to Durant. Thats why I think thats why it was a romantic relationship.  There are so few women on the show, and Campbell seems to have the sort of ego that wouldn't allow him to confide in/have a real relationship with one of the hookers.  I think he would see them as beneath him.

So, my only question is, given that the writers wanted Campbell to have a close relationship with someone in the town, how else would you have envisioned that happening?

* I had truly never noticed that with lesbians on TV, but maybe I just haven't seen enough, it does sound insulting though.

I'm just curious, and I mean no snark.  But I think the writers decided that Campbell needed to have a close relationship with someone in the town.  He already had his posse of men, and so there really didn't seem to be much reason for him to seek out another male friend.  Except maybe for Cullen, who is really not interested in him.  All the other male power players are aligned with Durant, or their interests are best served by being loyal to Durant. Thats why I think thats why it was a romantic relationship.  There are so few women on the show, and Campbell seems to have the sort of ego that wouldn't allow him to confide in/have a real relationship with one of the hookers.  I think he would see them as beneath him.

So, my only question is, given that the writers wanted Campbell to have a close relationship with someone in the town, how else would you have envisioned that happening?

* I had truly never noticed that with lesbians on TV, but maybe I just haven't seen enough, it does sound insulting though.

Sleeping with the lesbian should be seen as just as much a contrivance if not more. And if they don't think there is anyone than drop the idea instead of forcing a contrivance.  Instead the lesbian is used as a prop for a male character just as the recent death of a lesbian character on Chicago Fire was done solely to give straight characters some storylines.

It is very insulting and hurtful.  I feel that because I grew up with images of gay men as murderers and cowards that made me think why do people push this.  Yet I would argue the lesbian sleeps with a man trope is far, far more overdone.  Those comments give an idea how bad it is.   If you like, I can send you a list of lesbian characters who find themselves desiring men or sleeping with men.  It is sort of staggering.  Heck from just this year it is sort of stunning.

Edited by dohe

Sleeping with the lesbian should be seen as just as much a contrivance if not more. And if they don't think there is anyone than drop the idea instead of forcing a contrivance.  Instead the lesbian is used as a prop for a male character just as the recent death of a lesbian character on Chicago Fire was done solely to give straight characters some storylines.

It is very insulting and hurtful.  I feel that because I grew up with images of gay men as murderers and cowards that made me think why do people push this.  Yet I would argue the lesbian sleeps with a man trope is far, far more overdone.  Those comments give an idea how bad it is.   If you like, I can send you a list of lesbian characters who find themselves desiring men or sleeping with men.  It is sort of staggering.  Heck from just this year it is sort of stunning.

I certainly believe you, I just don't watch a lot of TV.  And right now a lot of the TV I watch is reality TV, which, interestingly enough features a number of women who discover, announce or whatever the right word would be, that they are are sexually interested in women through the shows (I'm thinking of Bad Girls Club, and Love and Hip Hop Atlanta).  I see your point, and I can understand why it would be offensive. 

I feel like most gay men I've seen on TV have been funny, fierce and fabulous, which is a stereotype that comes with its own set of problems.  I mean, can a guy ever be gay without spending hours at the gym, and knowing which color goes with which?

• Love 1

Ive been watching some of "Fearfest" during the break. Very few promotions for HOW. Several for the networks other shows. Youd think they would want to keep the audience informed that the season isn't over yet.

That division of seasons into two parts is tiresome.  I have moved from watching the show for enjoyment to watching the show solely for studying it as a horrible representation of LGBT characters on tv.  So the sooner the show is off the air the better.

Just ahead of the return for the final three episodes, AMC has renewed HoW for one more season, which will be its last. In it's new, annoying fashion, they're splitting the episodes with a year in between. Details: Hell on Wheels Renewed (and Cancelled).

I'm over people calling a show that announces a final season as cancelled. If the show announces the next season will be its last when it's picked up,nth at means the show runners have decided to make it the last. AMC would've been giddy to have this several more years, thus why they are splitting the seasons.

Now that the series is over, I'm interested in what's in store for Anson Mount down the road.  Also some of the others (I'll just use character names) like Psalms, Durant, Mickey, and Eva.